Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:00 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,367,592 times

Advertisements

the good news about the bad economy is that it will deter a lot of the illegal worker parasites from sticking around the area, so they take their problems with them when they go away

The fact is that there are individuals in Longmont with ties to the Norteno/Sureno gangs of the West Coast, and there are also Asian gangs in the area....most of the activity is around drugs but as usual there is car theft, burglary, etc. There are also the 'wannabes' with no affiliation to anything, but they think 'thug life' is cool, so they want to live it. Read the police blotters, look at the names, draw your own conclusions. The info is out there.

they're all chickensh*t sissy thugs, for the most part, and not a 'big' problem for now, but a problem just the same. We're near major drug/human smuggling corridors of I-70, I-25, and I-76 so it's not just going to go away.

Until the Libs try to take our guns away, I can still open carry and conceal carry within the law in Colorado...not that I'm in the habit of doing that on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
We were resolved to move there until reading of a gang member walking into 7-11, shouting out the name of his gang and blowing off rounds with a shotgun. The home I was looking at was only two mile from the store. That's just too close. What if it had been King Soopers??

Gang Unit

This sort of thing exists everywhere, but when relocating to a new state, it would be sort of ironic if you ran into exactly what you sought to escape...
2 miles is too close? How far away do you need to be to feel safe? If anybody is afraid of anything in Longmont, they should visit a major city every now and then.

Comedy is right.

I would say at least 85% of the time, these so called "gangs" are just wannabe kids from the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
Dont worry about gangs in Longmont, there a joke. 99% of them are hispanics in there teens thinking that there hard. They dont do squat. Longmont is ok but try Gunbarrel, Louisville, Broomfield, Westminster ect. If you are a hick, you will fit right in to Longmont. Drive a pickup truck, have 8 kids and only shop at Walmart. Dont know how to drive on 119, dont get me started!
I suppose there aren't any non-Hispanic kids in Longmont that think they are hard, I would venture to guess that all other races/ethnicities are all perfect little angels, right? Way to generalize.

Longmont has never given me the hick/pickup/kids/Wal-Mart impression. I think of it more as a small town growing up into a suburb/exurb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
the good news about the bad economy is that it will deter a lot of the illegal worker parasites from sticking around the area, so they take their problems with them when they go away
I wasn't aware a bad economy could be good news. ::Throws hands up in the air:: I think that the "illegal worker parasites", will not go anywhere, unless they can't find jobs. Some of the industries they tend to work in (with the exception of construction), tend to weather bad economies most of the time. (Food service, agriculture, for example). As long as some opportunity is still available, they'll still be around. This economic downturn won't last forever. However, I wasn't aware that they ALL have "problems".

Quote:
The fact is that there are individuals in Longmont with ties to the Norteno/Sureno gangs of the West Coast, and there are also Asian gangs in the area....most of the activity is around drugs but as usual there is car theft, burglary, etc. There are also the 'wannabes' with no affiliation to anything, but they think 'thug life' is cool, so they want to live it. Read the police blotters, look at the names, draw your own conclusions. The info is out there.
I don't doubt this in the least, I was just wondering what the source was that is tying these folks to gangs in California.

Quote:
they're all chickensh*t sissy thugs,
Agreed.

Quote:
We're near major drug/human smuggling corridors of I-70, I-25, and I-76 so it's not just going to go away.
Aren't most population centers? Especially in the west?

Quote:
Until the Libs try to take our guns away, I can still open carry and conceal carry within the law in Colorado...not that I'm in the habit of doing that on a regular basis.
Good that you don't do that on a regular basis. I don't see the need for doing it on a semi-regular or occasional basis either, especially in your neck of the woods. Unless you go into a very gang-infested area on a daily basis, I wouldn't think it's necessary; nor do I think that very many, if any, places like that exist here in Colorado. Even if you did pack all the time, over the course of a lifetime there is a slim chance that you'd ever need to reach for it anyway.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM

9 posts, read 31,247 times
The title of this thread caught my eye and I thought man, it has been a long time since I was in Longmont! I lived there for one summer back in 1973. Came out from Ga. with a friend of mine in a VW Beetle camping beside the highway all the way out. I allways loved that area and hope it hasn't changed too much. Hope to make a return trip some day.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,089 times
I live in co and have spent a lot of time in longmont. I've never seen or experienced any gang related activity whatsoever. But some sh*t must have gone down at some point becuase a lot of the convenience stores have cashiers working behind bulletproof glass. A little unnerving. I do like the posters point above about moving to a new state and running into exactly what you are trying to escape. When people think about moving to co, neighborhoods stores with bulletproof glass isn't exactly what they have in mind.
What's way more obvious than gangs, is a meth problem. Guess the gangs probably supply it. Either way, sometimes i just feel a creepy meth vibe when i'm there at night.

Don't want to just give you the negative, because i really like longmont. What i like about is that it just seems like a normal town, not pretentious, snobby or spoiled like boulder and the ski areas. It is close to boulder and about half the price (for now). I speak spanish and enjoy going into the divey little taquerias for a bite to eat. Colorado is generally void of any culture whatsoever, so these places are refreshing to me. Cheap grocery stores, cheap restaurants. There is public transportation which is almost nonexistent in most of larimer county where i live. There are also a couple of very nice parks right off of downtown too.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 AM

162 posts, read 329,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedy View Post
The graffiti is the biggest problem, but I had spent 20 years in Longmont and only 1 time did I ever experience gang violence.
That in itself is scary to me! I lived over 30 years in my town now and NEVER had gang experience or this experience that you had. But I see this was a few years ago, has the problem gotten better since then? Do they strictly remain in certain areas? Is the meth problem any better?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:01 PM

163 posts, read 576,998 times
Default Graffiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedy View Post
There mostly a bunch of wannabe's in Colorado that look up to California and other popular places to imulate. The graffiti is the biggest problem, but I had spent 20 years in Longmont and only 1 time did I ever experience gang violence. I was at the YMCA when I was 16 and I was playing Basketball. I beat them...I embarrased them...and they tried to jump me. 1 incident in 20 years is nothing. Longmont will continue to grow and gangs may grow here, but Longmont is better located than any other city in Colorado and one of the safest.
The gangs moved into our town of Auburn, WA about 4 years back. Wannabes can be more dangerous than any gang members because they are trying to prove. You know when gangs are taking over your town when you see graffiti. If a town does not band together and decide to rub out any graffiti as soon as it is made and have a PD that stands with the citizens to do block walks and such to run them out of town... your town will become like Auburn, WA is now. I was grocery shopping about 11 pm. the other night. On driving out of the store parking lot 3 large black youths in gang clothes began to try to encircle my car to stop me from going. I realized they were gona rob me of car jack me or maybe just bum money from me, but I took no chances and drove on as if to run them over if they didn't move. One of them hit my hood of my car with his fist as I almost ran him over. This has happened to me a couple of times before around here. Our PD gave up on it a while back and so did the people in this city, it is gang infested now and dangerous to go out on the streets, especially at night. Geez we are thinking of moving to Boulder or Longmont, sad to hear it is happening in Longmont.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Seriously, this is issue is getting tiresome.

We've lived here over 10 years and have NEVER had an issue with gangs, feared for our safety, felt uncomfortable. I have only read an occasional blip in the paper. Longmont is no different than other towns it's size. And of course, ANY town this size will have an area or two to maybe avoid.

Longmont is a wonderful town, relatively quiet. Like ANY place, you need to visit, get a feel for the area, talk to people in neighborhoods that interest you, do some research - you can find the crime maps online with the local paper if that's something you want to see.

I prefer the southwest side of town. I know people who live in other areas that love their part of town. Until you come here and take a look around, it will be hard to get an idea. I know that's how it was for us 10 years ago.

Where I am it's peaceful - we are right next to a park and greenbelt. I walk the dog every day along a creek with all kinds of wild life along it, seeing the view of the mountains. Can't get any better.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,474,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Seriously, this is issue is getting tiresome.

We've lived here over 10 years and have NEVER had an issue with gangs, feared for our safety, felt uncomfortable. I have only read an occasional blip in the paper. Longmont is no different than other towns it's size. And of course, ANY town this size will have an area or two to maybe avoid.

Longmont is a wonderful town, relatively quiet. Like ANY place, you need to visit, get a feel for the area, talk to people in neighborhoods that interest you, do some research - you can find the crime maps online with the local paper if that's something you want to see.

I prefer the southwest side of town. I know people who live in other areas that love their part of town. Until you come here and take a look around, it will be hard to get an idea. I know that's how it was for us 10 years ago.

Where I am it's peaceful - we are right next to a park and greenbelt. I walk the dog every day along a creek with all kinds of wild life along it, seeing the view of the mountains. Can't get any better.

Well said! Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of people talking about Longmont as though it's the new East LA .

Old 01-25-2010, 01:38 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,620 times
'Until the Libs...'

'If you are a hick, you will fit right in to Longmont. Drive a pickup truck, have 8 kids and only shop at Walmart.'

These two comments got me thinking - Boulder is generally progressive. But what about the surrounding towns? Someone who'd refer to progressive people as 'libs out to get your guns' would be just as reprehensible to me as the other statement about Walmart-shopping hicks.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:56 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
'Until the Libs...'

'If you are a hick, you will fit right in to Longmont. Drive a pickup truck, have 8 kids and only shop at Walmart.'

These two comments got me thinking - Boulder is generally progressive. But what about the surrounding towns? Someone who'd refer to progressive people as 'libs out to get your guns' would be just as reprehensible to me as the other statement about Walmart-shopping hicks.
Those two comments aren't even worth discussing.

Longmont is more conservative than Boulder in general, but it is still Boulder County. It is a mix of people. My impression is that it is moving away from its conservative roots and becoming more progressive, partly because a lot of people can't afford buying in Boulder and they see the potential in Longmont. (That is my own experience as well as that of a lot of the people I've met in the 'Mont.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area