Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 8,582 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am looking to move to Boulder or Fort Collins within the next few months. I currently live in Mobile, Alabama...I know, pretty Deep South, right? I've lived all over the country tough; Minnesota, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Florida, California, Hawaii, and now Alabama. It's time again to relocate! And I'm seeking some advice from Boulder natives, transplants, and former residents!

Here's the plan:

$6000 moving fund. I will drive to Boulder probably in January or February and (hopefully) secure a temporary private room (as listed on sites like CL) for one to two months while I search for work. I'm a vet tech and animal behaviorist and have never had problems finding work, but of course am always wary of this job market. Do you find a lot of clinics and animal hospitals in the Boulder and Fort Collins areas? Do you know of any canine training facilities in or around these cities? I have applied to a handful of major animal hospitals there and have received responses from two so far (it's been three days). One told me that their hiring/interview process takes up to two or three months...is that typical for this city? I understand the job market is flooded with good applicants, and often hear of outrageous numbers of overqualified professionals applying for jobs...I don't know if it is the same case with vet clinics as we're kind of a specialized field.. Any advice on this would be SO helpful! Other techs, anywhere?

As for room and board, it is most realistic that I will be renting with roommates...Does anyone have experience finding good roommates in Boulder/Ft. Collins? On some roommate finder sites, it APPEARS to be pretty easy and within budget but...again, it's better to be cautious and hear of any advice you may have! I'm looking to spend around $500 a month for rent/utilities. I also have a golden retriever who is extremely well-behaved, quiet, and comes with me to and from work, but I'm concerned about finding a pet-friendly roommate situation. I see them posted, but not a TON of them. Any tips on where to look? Anyone with experience?

I know the area is quite expensive, and feel prepared in this plot of mine to make it work... Most tech jobs will pay around $14/hr, and I will be training as well so I figure to make around $2200 - 2500 per month. Is this a comfortable salary for this city?

Lastly, what areas should I avoid in my search for jobs/housing? Every city has its back alleys, and I'd hate to make a repeat of my California move and end up in a bad area... I love historic, scenic, and clean neighborhoods and am open to houses, townhomes, or apartments (apartments being the least favorite). Also, the closer to the mountains, the better!

Any, any advice you can give on your experiences in Boulder/Ft. Collins, moving to or from, or just basic tips on the city and the animal welfare conscious in the area would be GREAT!

Thank you all so much, and I hope to soon be your neighbor!

Alyson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Which does your dog like best?

Of the two, Boulder may be your best bet.

Housing is more expensive than in Fort Collins, but there is more money floating around town, and possibly from the clients who would value your services. This is only speculation, adding as well that both places are probably well supplied with dog whisperers; so one should expect competition, and bringing something extra to the table.

While both towns reside at the base of the mountains, Boulder has the best access into them, hiking trails within (for dogs as well, per my understanding), and pure scenic wonder.

If not keen on apartments, you may be in luck, as many may not accept pets anyway. This is a kind of off-the-wall idea but you might consider (at least initially) rooming with some college students. Expect party central on a regular basis, but aside from that some possible advantages. Just west of CU in Boulder, on The Hill, there are any number of humble houses that through long practice are the haunts of students. A fairly laissez-faire arrangement, with probably a good chance many could care less if a friendly dog is part of the equation. It also happens to be a good location, with easy walking access to restaurants and other services, the campus, as well not far the many shops downtown along Pearl Street; also, fairly ready access to Chautauqua Park and the superb hiking trails into the mountains. As far as securing any of this, the dead of winter may not be the best time. Student lodging arrangements are made by late summer; the many vacancies when they depart appear in spring. But maybe someone will only last a semester, etc., and one never knows. It will also, by the way, quite likely be snowing on you when in the midst of moving.

Lest I be accused of sugar coating any of this, the usual caveats about our overall economy, the difficulty of finding employment, the qualified competition in a desirable area, etc. All true. You might also read other posts about how Boulder's trails are overcrowded, with difficult parking and so on. Thus the reminder that just about the time one has discovered nirvana, also their foot in a mud puddle.

But if determined, well, it is a lovely area.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM

352 posts, read 797,709 times
There are many people in Boulder, it seems, who adore and care for animals more than they do human beings! Many "guardians" (City Council changed official wording from the term "owners," which some took umbrage with) lavish top-notch vet services, doggy day care, organic food and supplements, etc., on their animals -- so in terms of animal consciousness, it's hard to imagine you could do much better.

In terms of housing, keep in mind that the student population (U of Colorado, called CU) somewhat drives the rental market. I couldn't tell your age, so don't know if you would prefer not to be in the midst of college students, or, the opposite. I believe I read recently that vacancy rate for rentals near the University is now at about zero (literally), but as the academic year begins and some students drop out, discover that they hate their roommates, etc., things might shift. Also if you are thinking of coming in January, there may be students moving out between semesters.

There are so many dog-people - and so many Golden Retrievers gleefully hanging their heads out of Subaru Outback (the Official Dog of Boulder???) that it shouldn't be outrageously difficult to find a good roommate situation. Especially if the pups get along at first meeting!

Some things that pop into my mind:

-- Have you contacted the Humane Societies in Boulder and Longmont? Seems they would be good sources of information...

-- Gunbarrel is an area just outside of Boulder, not up against the foothills but with nice views and easily accessible walking trails. Fewer students, if that's a concern, and some concentrations of apartments, but also some nice single-family areas.

-- Some people who want roommates or renters who are NOT students may wait and post on CL and other places after the student move-in period is waning or altogether over. So if there don't seem to be scads of fabulous places right now, that might ease up very shortly.

-- And, as you probably know,part of the oversaturation of job-seekers in your field is due to the Vet program at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, which is highly regarded and competitive.

-- I was a longtime North Boulder resident -- Newlands area west of Broadway and in vicinity of (the original) Boulder Community Hospital and North Boulder Park. Others adore South Boulder and would never have ventured north of Baseline Road or even Table Mesa Road; both areas have much going for them!

Good Luck to you! Sounds like you are sufficiently migratory that you know how to come into a new area and settle in rather quickly...

Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
-- And, as you probably know,part of the oversaturation of job-seekers in your field is due to the Vet program at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, which is highly regarded and competitive.
This was the first thing that came to my mind as well. I really have no idea regarding the job market in your field, but I would imagine the number of graduates wanting to stay in the area after graduation might make things more difficult.

I have also heard stories regarding the rental situation in Boulder right now as well. We have some friends whose daughter and two other roommates signed a lease at a place that was still being built, but it was expected to be done by school starting. It turns out it will be - but there was a few weeks there where they didn't think so and in just looking to see if there were other options found out there was pretty much nothing.

I'll agree that especially that time of year, you most likely will need to consider the option of rooming with college students.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 PM

5 posts, read 8,582 times
Thank you for the swift replies! I will keep all these tips and thoughts in mind as I'm planning my escape to the Rockies! I was definitely wondering about the housing situation in the dead of winter, and may move the relocation date back a month or two depending on the results shown on roommate finder sites, etc.

Here's another question: Do you see a lot of "For Rent" signs outside residences throughout the year? Here in Mobile, it's almost easier to find a reasonable apartment by just driving around looking for signs...and there are quite a few of them. Same story there, or not so much?

Thank you again for all your help!! I will continue to look into securing work before committing to a travel date...fingers crossed!

Alyson

Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Well, one is dealing with students

Seems like I've seen "For Rent" signs occasionally, although I'm not there all the time to say for sure. If it comes to it, you may have to secure temporary lodging initially at a long-term hotel (the only problem with some of them being pets). The supposition is being in Boulder in person may help a lot in this search: aside from the possible "For Rent" sign, even better ad hoc ads posted where students hang out, and just merging with the grapevine of such relevant gossip. This may not be as formal a process as standard apartment shopping.

But if really into dogs, and you end up the go to person for fido, then before long one might begin to talk to realtors and envision some lovely house. Which would require some substantial financing. Although it routinely amazes me what some people are able to pull down in a paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area