Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolicakes View Post
Thanks yall! Ya I hadn't really thought out the whole condo thing....and you are totally right. We could afford about 1000-1200 a month rent and looking around I can find something pretty decent to rent in that price that isn't a one room studio. (I think I was just so excited about the move that I THOUGHT I was willing to live in a box!)

So where are the undergrad apartment areas (so I can keep FAR away from them!) I don't know if yall know about UNC Chapel Hill but its a big school that overruns a small town with drunken idiots...and I'm ready to get away from that!

How far way is Vail from Boulder?
Even though you may not live near College students. You still run into them on Pearl and other places. CU is pretty big (around 27,000). I think UNC is only around 17k. Vail is around two hours away but might take a little longer to get there on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 AM

33 posts, read 103,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolicakes View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to Boulder next fall for law school. We are currently in NC so it would be a BIIIIG change. I've gone to Colorado a few times snowboarding and fell in love with it so its very exciting to entertain the idea of moving out there! I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on moving across country or information on neighborhoods near CU law. We think we would like to rent a house or try and buy a cheap (less than 100,000) condo...we really would like to have a yard because we have 2 dogs. Any help would be amazing! Thank you!
Wow. You won't find any place to live in Boulder for 100k. Or even twice that. Not even in Boulder county. Or Superior or Lousiville. You can probably find a condo in Louisville or Longmont in the 200's. Prospect has some good condos in the 200's. And it's really hard to rent with two dogs. Really hard. Competition for housing in Boulder is stiff.Seriously, if you are expecting to come here and find housing like that, you are going to be very very disappointed. The cheap housing that you find in Carolina is NOT here. A house in Boulder will run you 500k minimum. It will be a ranch and will need work. And there is a lot of competition for houses in that price range. I don't mean to be harsh, but wow! You're going to law school and I would have thought you checked that out before coming here and saw prices-especially as CU Boulder does not allow you to have a job while in law school, so you should have had some good idea of what you could buy without working before you planned a cross country move. 100k is not at all in the ball park of housing pricing in Boulder.
Neighborhoods near CU Law are "the hill" which is big houses crammed with lots of students or multi million dollar homes a little farther up by Chataqua. You might find a house in the 800k range that is very old or near student housing. Not cheap.
You might find a cheap house to rent (1500 or more) in table mesa area. It will be small, a ranch. Buying there is around 400k and up depending.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:01 AM

How far way is Vail from Boulder?

REALLY far. I hope you don't think you can commute from there. You need to go through the Eisenhower Tunnel which in winter can be backed up for hours. I've had 10 hour drives back from Vail in winter. On a good day with no traffic it's around 3.
Expect to spend 1500 for a decent place in Boulder. You will not get away from a student slum for 1000 a month. And you definitely won't find a place with a yard for that. Look in Louisville, Broomfield or Longmont for housing options that are more suitable to what you describe yourself needing.
Are you sure you've checked this out enough?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 AM

3250 ONeal Cir 26

Boulder, CO 80301

MLS ID# 549011

This is in those condos on 30th between the highway and iris.
It's all condos. It is not a family area. A cheap condo area is going to be full of students. There are some trailer parks there that have mostly immigrant families living in them.
You are not going to find a 100k condo in a family neighborhood in Boulder.
400 square feet is very small-a studio. You will not be able to live there with your dogs and boyfriend.
Please adjust your expectations before coming here or you are going to be really really depressed.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,284 times
O'Neal Circle = slums, slum, slummy and nasty

Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Guys,
The original posting was in 2007!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Guys,
The original posting was in 2007!
Chil, that ain't gonna stop anyone here on CD-F.

"Cuz tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area