Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:10 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,738 times

Advertisements

Glad I don't live in Boulder, whew --
Could fecal DNA database solve Boulder's dog waste dilemma? - Boulder Daily Camera
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 01:02 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Are you upset because you believe that dog owners are being disciplined and/or have more restrictions?

Well, I give you my point of view:

There are many miserable and bad dog owners who ruin something good for other good dog owners by not picking up their dog's waste, as required by regulations. They also cause an annoyance and a hazard for the public would like to use trails with their children without stepping on dog waste. These same miscreants will never follow any regulations or restrictions about dog ownershop.

Now the city of Boulder has to go through a more complicated and expensive licensing and DNA procedures to control these miserable dog owners. The tax payer has to pay for all this by the costs and the payroll time of city employees.

In addition the good dog owners has to now pay an additional fee to have a new tag for their dog that they have to be registered in this DNA database. However, that does not cover these bad dog owners who would not even bother to register because they do not follow any rules and then their dog poo cannot be identified. So what do you do? Now more money will be spend for policing to keep these bad people off the trails with their unregistered dogs.

Or may I should ask: Are you a bad dog owner who is complaining about anything that restricts your bad behavior?

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-28-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
Tangential thread, but why do people take the time to properly pick up their dog's crap with the bags provided and then turn around and leave the bagged turds laying next to the trail? If you're gonna pick it up and bag it carry it out and put it in the g*&&^%n trash can at the trailhead!

I walk Bluffs Regional Park several times a week and I can't fathom why people do that. Ticks me off to no end. Lazy bastages.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:19 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
I like it! I wish they had this near where I lived. We dog walkers put alot of peer pressure on people in my area that don't clean up so mostly our trails are clean. However, you can always tell when a new person moves in and starts walking their dog. Regular piles until we can get to them with a comment at a party or something.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Tangential thread, but why do people take the time to properly pick up their dog's crap with the bags provided and then turn around and leave the bagged turds laying next to the trail? If you're gonna pick it up and bag it carry it out and put it in the g*&&^%n trash can at the trailhead!

I walk Bluffs Regional Park several times a week and I can't fathom why people do that. Ticks me off to no end. Lazy bastages.
Ok, this is just my theory...

I think some plan on picking it up on their way back. I also think some people see it on the side of the trail and think they are supposed to leave it there for an open space employee to pick it up. Finally, I think some people pick it up because some one walks by why their dog poops and they don't want to get the stink eye. The second they are alone they drop that bag asap.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Throw me in the good idea group. I like that people can take their dogs on the trails, but I'm really tired of the poop and aggressive dogs. I hope they punishment is the cost of the testing plus a big fine. As it says in the article, the threat of testing curbs 90% of the poop.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:03 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Our nation has three problems with dogs: (1) Too many dogs; (2) Untrained dogs; (3) Untrained dog owners.

I just foresee any number of glitches with this idea.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3238/3...76110f68_z.jpg
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
That article really was a scream! Have you read the comments? Having this s*** data-base would raise the price of a dog tag to ~$1000/dog!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 AM

1,665 posts, read 4,368,131 times
Some of the article's comments are hilarious, for sure.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Our nation has three problems with dogs: (1) Too many dogs; (2) Untrained dogs; (3) Untrained dog owners.

I just foresee any number of glitches with this idea.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3238/3...76110f68_z.jpg
This is my biggest complaints about living in Colorado. However, I do not know if it is Colorado or a changing time and attitudes. For when I lived in other places, which were years in the past, I cannot recall so many problems with dogs.

When I was a kid growing up in New York blue collar area, very few people had dogs. It was apparent as there were not many fenced off yards. Parents were children or grandchildren of immigrants and having a dog was considered an unnecessary expense when the mortgage and other obligations came first. Here even the poorest of the poor with excessive debt have dogs and not just one, many.

What I have noticed in my neighborhood the Mexican Americans have dogs but the Asian Americans do not. There is an interesting relationship because I can readily see differences, in my neighborhood, with the Mexican kids dropping out of school and making babies and the Asian kids staying in school and making a future.

I never saw any issue of dogs running loose in any areas of Manhattan: midtown, or uptown or downtown. That also seems to be true in downtown Denver as you will never see dogs running loose in the central core but walk toward the Platte valley with the growing yuppied condos and you see dog owners letting their pets run loose.

When I lived in Europe, I never saw the problem with dogs running loose. When I was in New Zealand, for extended time on business, I never heard the excessive barking of dogs and dogs running loose.

I have spend much time in Canada, as I am a child of a Canadian; I never remember any issues with dogs.

Perhaps it is me noticing annoyances which never bothered me before. I just do not know if this is the same in other states. There is some sort of selfish self centered attitude with many of these Colorado dog owners and their obsession with their pets and their blatant disregard for regulations.

It goes across all income and educational levels and Boulder is one of the worse areas of problem of arrogant dog owners. When I have gone to the Boulder Creek festival or any large outdoor event, you see these mindless dog owners hauling their dogs through the dense crowds and you can see the that the dogs are stressed. They seem to have a need to showoff; parading their dogs when it would be best to leave their pets at home. Some of these dog owners or is it called dog custodians or dog parents, whatever that Boulder bull is called, have a need to take their dog everywhere and everyplace.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-29-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area