Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 04:38 PM

13 posts, read 31,691 times

Advertisements

We rented in Superior for a few years before we bought a home in Anthem (Broomfield) earlier this year that we really love. My only reservation was moving out of BVSD. Adams 12 tried to pass a bond that would have built a neighborhood school here, but it didn't pass and all of the reasons that I was skeptical about Adams 12 have been reinforced.

Now that my twins are ready for kindergarten, I'm planning on trying to Open Enroll them back in BVSD and just drive them a little further so their education doesn't have to suffer because we chose to move out here. My main concern is that as an out of district applicant we're further down the preference list so I want to be smart about the three choices that I can put on their application. If I choose three schools that are all super popular and get tons of applicants, I'm imagining that we'll just be out of luck and miss on all three choices.

I've looked everywhere for some kind of data that would indicate the number of applicants that each school gets but I can't find it - perhaps it's not public. Does anyone have any information about Elementary schools that are known to be super popular/full, etc.? I'm thinking Superior, Monarch, Douglass as 3 schools I have some familiarity with. I would like to take my shot at Peak to Peak, but don't want to "waste" a chance if it comes to that, though their website indicates that they take a chunk of out of district kids - though I don't understand how that could be.

Anyway, any information anyone has as to my best strategy would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:01 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
I can't answer your question, but this chart has a column with the number and percentage of enrolled students from outside the district for each school.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjensen View Post
We rented in Superior for a few years before we bought a home in Anthem (Broomfield) earlier this year that we really love. My only reservation was moving out of BVSD. Adams 12 tried to pass a bond that would have built a neighborhood school here, but it didn't pass and all of the reasons that I was skeptical about Adams 12 have been reinforced.

Now that my twins are ready for kindergarten, I'm planning on trying to Open Enroll them back in BVSD and just drive them a little further so their education doesn't have to suffer because we chose to move out here. My main concern is that as an out of district applicant we're further down the preference list so I want to be smart about the three choices that I can put on their application. If I choose three schools that are all super popular and get tons of applicants, I'm imagining that we'll just be out of luck and miss on all three choices.

I've looked everywhere for some kind of data that would indicate the number of applicants that each school gets but I can't find it - perhaps it's not public. Does anyone have any information about Elementary schools that are known to be super popular/full, etc.? I'm thinking Superior, Monarch, Douglass as 3 schools I have some familiarity with. I would like to take my shot at Peak to Peak, but don't want to "waste" a chance if it comes to that, though their website indicates that they take a chunk of out of district kids - though I don't understand how that could be.

Anyway, any information anyone has as to my best strategy would be appreciated.
If you look at that chart, you'll see that the Broomfield elementary schools have the highest OE from out of district. They would also be the most convenient for you to drive to for the next six years. Keep that in mind.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the chart Brown Dog - very resourceful. That may be as good as I get.

Katiana - I'll check out Aspen Creek K-8, but my sense was that this was an inferior school to the others that I listed, though I have no idea if that's true, nor can I figure out a way to prove/disprove it. I'll go their open enrollment tour regardless to see for myself.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the chart Brown Dog - very resourceful. That may be as good as I get.

Katiana - I'll check out Aspen Creek K-8, but my sense was that this was an inferior school to the others that I listed, though I have no idea if that's true, nor can I figure out a way to prove/disprove it. I'll go their open enrollment tour regardless to see for myself.
What on earth do you mean, "inferior"?

Old 11-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Inferior: lower in rank, status or quality. That's how it's defined and how I meant it. There is a perception that it provides a lower quality education, and therefore lower in status than some other schools in BVSD. It is ranked lower than the other schools I mentioned in all of the usual places that tell us how the kids are doing on test scores.

I'm well aware that test scores are most closely tied to socio-economic situations than anything else - at least on the macro level. And it is not lost on me that about 12% of the kids at Aspen Creek K-8 are financially disadvantaged, but I have no idea how much to weigh that when attempting to discern how "true" the schools ranking is when compared to the other 1008 elementary schools in Colorado. I just know that it is ranked lower.

I, like virtually every parent everywhere, would like very much for my children to have the advantage of skilled teachers that can help them to be everything they can be. Like every other profession, though, I imagine that the skill level of teachers is on a continuum of awful to awesome. I am diligently attempting to steer my kids towards the schools that are hiring, training, and retaining "awesome."

Old 11-11-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Inferior: lower in rank, status or quality. That's how it's defined and how I meant it. There is a perception that it provides a lower quality education, and therefore lower in status than some other schools in BVSD. It is ranked lower than the other schools I mentioned in all of the usual places that tell us how the kids are doing on test scores.

I'm well aware that test scores are most closely tied to socio-economic situations than anything else - at least on the macro level. And it is not lost on me that about 12% of the kids at Aspen Creek K-8 are financially disadvantaged, but I have no idea how much to weigh that when attempting to discern how "true" the schools ranking is when compared to the other 1008 elementary schools in Colorado. I just know that it is ranked lower.

I, like virtually every parent everywhere, would like very much for my children to have the advantage of skilled teachers that can help them to be everything they can be. Like every other profession, though, I imagine that the skill level of teachers is on a continuum of awful to awesome. I am diligently attempting to steer my kids towards the schools that are hiring, training, and retaining "awesome."
I am actively involved with the BVSD schools, and I've never heard that about Aspen Creek. It seems they have an autism program. Perhaps that's what brings down their test scores somewhat.

You've probably read these, but in case you haven't:
Aspen Creek K-8 School - Broomfield, Colorado - CO - School overview

Some parents did rank it down for being "cliquey" and "lacking in diversity". It's 77% non-hispanic white. I don't know how that compares to BVSD in general. It's not that diverse a neighborhood. "Cliquey" is in the eye of the beholder. I never heard of a school that would turn down a willing volunteer.

You will never find the perfectly "awesome" school.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:49 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Are you zoned for Coyote Ridge or Meridian? If so, it's going to be tough to choice into a BVSD with higher test scores. Peak to Peak might be the best school to focus on.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:02 PM

19 posts, read 25,125 times
This may be to late for you but I would give one of the Superior schools a shot, either Eldorado or Superior Elementary. I hear great things about them and the drive wouldn't be to bad for you. I have not heard great things about Aspen Creek from parents with kids at the school. I have a child at Peak to Peak and I could not be happier with our school but you have basically no chance as an out of district open enroller because it is so popular with in district. The reason there are a large number of out of district kids enrolled is that once a family gets one child in to the school the often move out of district to take advantage of better housing prices but with sibling priority they will still be able to get all of there future children into Peak to Peak. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area