Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,497 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (mid 50's, no children) are considering relocating to the Boulder area; my new job will allow me to telework, and sun is very important to us. We live now in the DC area, and are originally from Chicago area. Ideally this move would take us through retirement, which is at least 10 years away.

The three main issues/reason to move for me (and what I am looking to address by moving to the Boulder area) are:

Traffic congestion: Even though I have almost a zero commute right now, the area as a whole here is so congested that just getting from point A to point B is an ordeal. I would like some space between the cars, and maybe between the houses also.

Vibe: This is probably pretty personal, but I want a place that 'clicks', a downtown I would like to visit, a nice library, a nice thrift store, good breakfast restaurants, some awareness of things like yoga, natural foods and natural medicine, what might have been called a 'hip' scene 20 years ago, before Schlitz beer in a can was considered 'hip' (and probably before yoga mats were common).

Financial pressure/ 'home congestion': If I have to live in a vibe-less, congested area, I don't like having to pay 750,000 for a tiny house that barely holds a couch with neighbors 7 feet away on all sides. I'd like to pay maybe 650,000 for a 2 or 3 BR house built in the last 20 years, ideally near a breakfast restaurant, a grocery store and a good library :-).

The area within the perimeter of Golden/Boulder/Nederland/Estes Park seems to make sense to me in a conceptual way, looking at a map. I will fly out on our first scouting mission in a few weeks.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 07:16 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,125,151 times
I lived in Boulder for 15 years before moving to the Nederland area. I've lived up here close to 20 years now.
Boulder definitely has the kind of vibe you are seeking and has been into the "natural" scene for a very long time - always has been ahead of that curve. The first natural foods store I ever shopped at was Alfalfa's in the early 80s. I knew about yoga, Rolfing, Feldenkrais, Reiki and acupuncture before any of my friends in other states heard of those things (except California).
The downtown Pearl Street pedestrian mall is great. Unfortunately traffic in Boulder can get very congested at times. The city itself is high density residential. Larger lots in south Boulder but pricey. There is newer construction on the north side of town with coffee shops. restaurants, etc. You might check out Dakota Ridge and Northbriar - but I think those homes are upward of $750,000.

Nederland has a funky little downtown, a couple of coffee shops and a great library. There's a decent grocery store and a local co-op. For $450,000 you could buy a very nice home on a couple of acres. But @ 8300' it is mountain living and not for everyone.
I like Golden. Lots of history, a fun western-y downtown. Seems like it has become more "hip" in the past several years. I am not familiar with real estate there.
Estes Park is a tourist town. Nice place to visit but I couldn't live there.
You might also want to take a look at Arvada (situated between Golden and Boulder). Friends of ours moved there last year and they like it a lot.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:04 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
My house.
I am not selling, but consider the neighborhood ("my new job will allow me to telework").
http://www.3968Vrain.com
Berkeley has "a nice library, ..., good breakfast restaurants, some awareness of things like yoga, natural foods and natural medicine".
I am biased.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:07 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,058,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzabean View Post
My wife and I (mid 50's, no children) are considering relocating to the Boulder area; my new job will allow me to telework, and sun is very important to us. We live now in the DC area, and are originally from Chicago area. Ideally this move would take us through retirement, which is at least 10 years away.

The three main issues/reason to move for me (and what I am looking to address by moving to the Boulder area) are:

Traffic congestion: Even though I have almost a zero commute right now, the area as a whole here is so congested that just getting from point A to point B is an ordeal. I would like some space between the cars, and maybe between the houses also.
I don't think Boulder is a good choice for this. The traffic congestion there is horrid. You are better off on a bike or on foot in most cases. Not much room between homes either.

Vibe: This is probably pretty personal, but I want a place that 'clicks', a downtown I would like to visit, a nice library, a nice thrift store, good breakfast restaurants, some awareness of things like yoga, natural foods and natural medicine, what might have been called a 'hip' scene 20 years ago, before Schlitz beer in a can was considered 'hip' (and probably before yoga mats were common).
I like both Nederland and the old street car suburb neighborhoods around Denver as are suggested above. I think both options will provide better value and personality than Boulder. I will also throw Longmont (more up and coming but very cool downtown)/Louisville (already came and is going strong downtown, might be too expensive)/Lafayette (not as developed or trendy as Louisville but keeps on trying)/Littleton(great area with rail access to Denver for the bigger city amenities, older housing can have bigger lots) in the mix. All have different vibes at different price points.

Financial pressure/ 'home congestion': If I have to live in a vibe-less, congested area, I don't like having to pay 750,000 for a tiny house that barely holds a couch with neighbors 7 feet away on all sides. I'd like to pay maybe 650,000 for a 2 or 3 BR house built in the last 20 years, ideally near a breakfast restaurant, a grocery store and a good library :-).
Not sure how to answer this because it seems like you don't have to live in a vibe-less congested area. So many options are not this.

The area within the perimeter of Golden/Boulder/Nederland/Estes Park seems to make sense to me in a conceptual way, looking at a map. I will fly out on our first scouting mission in a few weeks.

Any thoughts?
Thoughts in-line above.

It is hard to provide good suggestions because your description of what your looking for hits too many communities.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:54 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,479 times
Traffic congestion: Compared to DC there is very little traffic here. There is some congestion during the rush hour, but the rest of the time it's pretty light. Traffic is getting worse and the local governments don't seem to be on top of it.

Vibe: I want a place that 'clicks', a downtown I would like to visit, a nice library, a nice thrift store, good breakfast restaurants, some awareness of things like yoga, natural foods and natural medicine... You probably need to be here to check out the vibe. Boulder does have a nice downtown, a great library, Good breakfast (Walnut cafe). Asking about yoga and natural foods is like asking if Florida has beaches.

Financial pressure/ 'home congestion': Tough to answer. Housing is expensive in Boulder. Depending on where you live in the DC area you might think it's a bargain. There are not a lot of new homes though. Especially for $650k. Outside of Boulder in places like Lafayette and Longmont you can find a newer home.

The area within the perimeter of Golden/Boulder/Nederland/Estes Park seems to make sense to me in a conceptual way, looking at a map. Golden and Boulder are similar. Nederland is high elevation and a bit isolated (not in a bad way). Estes Park is touristy, but just outside of the town is nice. You probably would prefer Lyons to Estes Park.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,497 times
Thank you all.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 AM

403 posts, read 760,032 times
You might also cruise through Evergreen and Conifer during your trip. Both of these towns have what you are looking for including the personal space you are seeking which, like another poster said, you won't find in the high-density residential city of Boulder. Yoga, Natural Grocers, Libraries, breakfast joints, thrift stores, etc. can all be found in both locations. Very nice community vibe and many residents are the same age as you living a similar lifestyle.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:05 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
You should also consider Golden, Bel Mar area of Lakewood, Ken Caryl area of South Jefferson County (aka Littleton), Greenwood Village, maybe Stapleton in Denver, or even Lone Tree or Highlands Ranch in Douglas County - something near Town Center.

I was born & raised in DC, I cannot imagine how bad the congestion has gotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area