Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

This is a spinoff of another thread where several people (including me)said we were approached by men who said some pretty crude things. A few men said "at least you were approached" but honestly women do not like when guys come up and say these gross things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 AM

701 posts, read 1,562,220 times
No, it's harassment.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
It is inappropriate and if anything will keep the woman from wanting to talk with you further.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Well, doesn't it really depend on whether one likes to be the object of "crude" comments?

To be harassment, the person being harassed either must object or else it has to be reasonable conclusion that the crude behavior constitutes harassment under the law.

A one time statement to the effect of something like "I'd like to bing your bong" is certainly crude, but even if it is unwanted, it does not constitute harassment.

Besides the best defense against harassment is not through the criminal justice system or civil law, but a woman who can such a guy to shreds with very few words.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
This is a spinoff of another thread where several people (including me)said we were approached by men who said some pretty crude things. A few men said "at least you were approached" but honestly women do not like when guys come up and say these gross things.
Technically yes it is an approach "a sleazy approach", no matter what is said when someone tries to engage you in some sort of dialogue no matter how crude you feel it is, that is an approach.

Some people just don't understand that not everyone is inclined to appreciate that type of contact from anyone let alone a stranger who thinks they need to speak with you, especially if they may want to ask you for a date in the future.

Personally when I was single and dating and some guy did that to me I would either laugh at him and walk away or out sleaze him and he would dang near run screaming as fast as he could to the nearest exit door. It is tough to be so arrogant and sleazy when your intended target makes YOU blush...LOL

Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
No, I don't consider it an approach (obviously ).

I used to just roll my eyes and walk away, but lately I've been confronting these sleazy men and telling them exactly how I feel about their 'pickup method'.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
A lot of People get crappy job offers, there still offers

Old 09-21-2012, 07:52 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Perhaps it is a sign of the times? For men to think it is okay to approach and say crude things in order to get a woman's attention to be considered acceptable denotes a change in the way our culture thinks. You once had to be a gentleman in order to get a woman's interest. Likewise I'm sure that there are women out there who like to be crude and vulgar in their approach with men. Maybe these crowds are just hoping that they happen to stumble upon one another!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You once had to be a gentleman in order to get a woman's interest. Likewise I'm sure that there are women out there who like to be crude and vulgar in their approach with men. Maybe these crowds are just hoping that they happen to stumble upon one another!
Not that I approve of crude behavoir, but the guys that use it are probably just tired of the dog and pony show of trying to get laid, and instead of wasting both theirs and your time, they're just getting to the point, as crude as it may be. And apparently it works on some women who are tired of the BS too.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Not that I approve of crude behavoir, but the guys that use it are probably just tired of the dog and pony show of trying to get laid, and instead of wasting both theirs and your time, they're just getting to the point, as crude as it may be. And apparently it works on some women who are tired of the BS too.
Like I said, sign of the times, I suppose. The fact that it works sometimes is sad. It also makes it hard on those ladies who are interested in a gentleman being a gentleman as they occasionally experience the frustration of getting hit on buy guys who are just "getting to the point."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships