Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,607 times

Advertisements

Wife and I from Kansas...applying for a job near Lafayette. What can you tell me about this area? What are the other northern suburbs and what kind of drive would it be to Lafayette? What are the different school districts up there and does anyone know anything about them? Or links to info about them. How far (driving time) is Downtown Denver and southern Denver?

More info about us: early 40's, children 6 and 12. Schools very important to us. Might even be looking into a private school if the public ones don't measure up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
About 35 - 40 min. to downtown Denver, add 10 min or so to S. Denver if on I-25, from Lafayette. If you get the job, you might consider living in Lafayette itself. School district is Boulder Valley, well regarded. Boulder Valley School District - Home Page

Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,473 times
Lafayette is a wonderful little town with excellent schools, a fun downtown, and a great family atmosphere--I would encourage you to look there for housing and see what you like--BUT as Pittnurse mentioned, it is a bit of a drive to downtown (especially on Hwy 36 which is a parking lot during rush hours), however, I'm sure you could find public transit from there to downtown that would save your sanity, time, and money.

The whole north Denver metro area around Lafayette is great, you can't really go wrong school-wise (although check specific schools). So to narrow it down a bit,

1. Are you buying or renting?
2. If buying what is your price range?
3. What are the most important things to have in home for your family (sq feet/ size of lot etc..)
4. Most important characteristics in a neighborhood for you?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,607 times
You sound like an agent...

That's OK ;-)

We would be looking to buy. We are a family of 5. Currently living in a 2400 sq ft home (1400 on main floor, 1000 finished basement). It is a nice 4 BR/3 BA home, but we could really use an additional bedroom. We like newer homes as opposed to historic ones. Kids are 6 - 12 yrs. Would like a family oriented neighboorhood. Coming from very conservative KS, we'd like to not be the only Republicans on the block.

Price range for the house is another matter entirely. KS is known for real estate being very affordable. Denver area is much more expensive when it comes to housing prices, I'm told. Our very nice house in a popular west-side neighborhood--excellent suburban school district--appraises for about $160K. I would imagine such a house in a Denver suburb would be significantly more expensive.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:47 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdavis07 View Post
You sound like an agent...

That's OK ;-)

We would be looking to buy. We are a family of 5. Currently living in a 2400 sq ft home (1400 on main floor, 1000 finished basement). It is a nice 4 BR/3 BA home, but we could really use an additional bedroom. We like newer homes as opposed to historic ones. Kids are 6 - 12 yrs. Would like a family oriented neighboorhood. Coming from very conservative KS, we'd like to not be the only Republicans on the block.

Price range for the house is another matter entirely. KS is known for real estate being very affordable. Denver area is much more expensive when it comes to housing prices, I'm told. Our very nice house in a popular west-side neighborhood--excellent suburban school district--appraises for about $160K. I would imagine such a house in a Denver suburb would be significantly more expensive.
Schools are very good (Boulder County); no real issues there. Lafayette is extremely family-friendly, so nothing to worry about there, either. The area is definitely more liberal than conservative, so you'll be just fine.

You won't find a newer home with 5 bedrooms for anywhere near $160k (not to be negative, but it won't happen). I don't know if there is much new construction in the Lafayette area (perhaps Pittnurse would know?), but whatever you find that is comparable to what you've got (sqaure footage-wise + 5 bed) will set you back at least in the high $200,000s.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:03 PM

I don't think there is much construction in Lafayette at the moment. Some new townhouses are going up near Centaurus HS, but I don't know of anything else right now. A realtor could give you a better idea. Agree with NickMan on the prices.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:53 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,473 times
I'm not an agent, but needed specific info to narrow down areas to suggest considering the north metro area covers a lot of ground.

When I look at the mls, there are 3 properties listed for sale in Lafayette between 160-180 K, they run 1000-1300 sq feet and are all townhomes. I looked for homes 2400-2600 sq feet with 4-5 bedrooms and there were two listings, one for 299, one for 599. I'm afraid you are going to have horrible sticker shock.

BUT, when I looked in Broomfield for 2400-2600 4-5 bedrooms there were a few nice looking listings, even one as low as 239 for a newer home with 5 bedrooms, so there is hope! Lafayette is a bit more expensive because it's Boulder County, so check areas close by like Broomfield and Westminster.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:51 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
BUT, when I looked in Broomfield for 2400-2600 4-5 bedrooms there were a few nice looking listings, even one as low as 239 for a newer home with 5 bedrooms, so there is hope! Lafayette is a bit more expensive because it's Boulder County, so check areas close by like Broomfield and Westminster.
Broomfield is a nice area and the schools where great 10 years ago, although I could not tell you how they are today. It is also a 15 minute drive to msot parts of Lafayette, so that may be the place to start looking.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 AM

I agree that Broomfield is great and have posted so many times. Lafayette also has many affordable homes. I think there is a fair amount of affordable housing in Lafayette as well. Lafayette has a number of new, high-end homes that skew the median and average prices. See this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ml#post2489577

Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 PM

136 posts, read 741,628 times
I heard that the "Peak to Peak Chater school" in Lafayette is very good. You may want to consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area