Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 30,740 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Boulder. There is a job there that he wants to apply for, and we really want to get out of the DC/Baltimore area. Some towns that I'm looking at that seem to have reasonable rent on houses are Westminster, Longmont, Lafayette, and Louisville. We have 1 child and second on the way as well as 2 dogs. We want to rent for a year and then buy a place so we can get to know the area, but I want to make sure that where we rent for a year will be good as well. I'm wondering a lot about commute times to Boulder from these towns, as well as which towns are better for families (ie parks, good schools, family friendly stuff going on). I've heard that Longmont can have gang problems, but how bad is it really? Someone mentioned rattlesnakes somewhere, how bad are they? I hate snakes, but as long as it's not too bad I'd be fine.
Also, are there any other towns in reasonable commuting distance I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 PM

530 posts, read 2,626,258 times
You will love the area. Louisville was recently ranked as the 3rd best place in the entire country to raise a family. Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Louisville, Colo. (3) - Money Magazine When my family and I moved to the area a couple of years ago we rented in a community called the Horizons at Rock Creek in Superior, which is just across the highway from Louisville. Simpson Property Group | Dwell in Satisfaction We were very happy with the living conditions. It gave us time to settle in, sell our old house down south, and buy a house in Louisville. We are happy with the Boulder Valley School District. Our son is in 8th grade and our daughter is in Special Ed in 6th grade. The commute to Boulder is only a few minutes. I think you will love this area. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. Welcome!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
You will love the area. Louisville was recently ranked as the 3rd best place in the entire country to raise a family. Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Louisville, Colo. (3) - Money Magazine When my family and I moved to the area a couple of years ago we rented in a community called the Horizons at Rock Creek in Superior, which is just across the highway from Louisville. Simpson Property Group | Dwell in Satisfaction We were very happy with the living conditions. It gave us time to settle in, sell our old house down south, and buy a house in Louisville. We are happy with the Boulder Valley School District. Our son is in 8th grade and our daughter is in Special Ed in 6th grade. The commute to Boulder is only a few minutes. I think you will love this area. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. Welcome!

The place you listed looks great. My main concern with apartments and communities like that is how dog friendly they are. One of our dogs is a greyhound, and while all he does is sleep all day, people look at his size (75lbs) and say he's too big for the place. I figure we'll end up having to rent a house somewhere, because I don't think I could leave my baby behind for a year until we buy a house.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 PM

1,667 posts, read 4,370,098 times
Another year, another magazine article written by non-resident 'experts'. Every year the list changes...it's a joke. That being said, having a job when you land here is key, and renting is a great move...I think you'll find Boulder prices to be laughable, and the "L Towns" - Longmont/Louisville/Lafayette - may offer a nice selection of places now that the market is falling back to reality.

Rattlesnakes? Yep, got plenty of them around...but don't overthink it. Bites are rare...it's usually dummies with off-leash dogs that harass snakes and other wildlife.

Longmont? Yeah, lived here 36 yrs, growing Hispanic population...mostly quiet and hard-working, but the Cali element is moving in and bringing their Nortenos/Surenos gang affiliations with them...mostly among the late teen/early 20s set, i.e. harmless wanna-bes for the most part. Not a huge problem...yet. There is some balkanization in the area as a result, generally on the east side of town.

It definitely ain't Mayberry, if that's what you're looking for.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 PM

182 posts, read 668,683 times
Of the places you are considering, Louisville is probably the best bet for a young family, and is very close to Boulder. You will be in a good school district which has excellent charters & allows open enrollment. Louisville is friendly, has a nice downtown, good parks, etc. What is your budget for a rental?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicanaRose View Post
Of the places you are considering, Louisville is probably the best bet for a young family, and is very close to Boulder. You will be in a good school district which has excellent charters & allows open enrollment. Louisville is friendly, has a nice downtown, good parks, etc. What is your budget for a rental?
Thats going to depend on what my husband gets for salary. We currently pay 1800 a month in mortgage for a small 2 bedroom townhouse, so anything there should be a step up from this. If he gets the same salary, or a slight raise we should easily afford up to 1500 and still be able to save for a larger down payment when we go to buy.

Also, I've been looking at realtor.com and Firestone seems to have a large houses at really good prices. Is there a reason, or is it just because it's further away?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,477,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfbourne View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Boulder. There is a job there that he wants to apply for, and we really want to get out of the DC/Baltimore area. Some towns that I'm looking at that seem to have reasonable rent on houses are Westminster, Longmont, Lafayette, and Louisville. We have 1 child and second on the way as well as 2 dogs. We want to rent for a year and then buy a place so we can get to know the area, but I want to make sure that where we rent for a year will be good as well. I'm wondering a lot about commute times to Boulder from these towns, as well as which towns are better for families (ie parks, good schools, family friendly stuff going on). I've heard that Longmont can have gang problems, but how bad is it really? Someone mentioned rattlesnakes somewhere, how bad are they? I hate snakes, but as long as it's not too bad I'd be fine.
Also, are there any other towns in reasonable commuting distance I should consider?
All anyone ever mentions about Longmont is the "gang" problem. It's really not as bad as the sensationalists make it out to be. Nobody ever wants to talk about the two historic districts, the excellent public library, the new developments going up around town such as Prospect or up by Ute Highway. Okay, the Twin Peaks mall is in serious need of a makeover and Pier One just closed down due to lack of business, but we have some great restaurants too and lots of lovely parks and the St Vrain Greenway, as well as golf courses, the Longmont Symphony Orchestra and a brand new Super Target. Check out City of Longmont, Boulder County, Colorado; Official Government Website and Recreation and Culture in Longmont, Colorado for more details.

There's also an excellent bus service into Boulder from Longmont - the Bolt which takes about 25 minutes - and a pretty good one that serves the city itself.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,087 times
The Boulder Humane society can help find rentals that are pet friendly:
Humane Society of Boulder Valley | Pet Friendly Housing - Cats And Dogs

I live in an apartment complex in Boulder which allows pets, many people in the building have larger sized dogs.

Renting in Boulder proper is cheaper than renting in much of the DC area (not sure about the comparison with Baltimore rents), you may be less prone to sticker shock.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM

530 posts, read 2,626,258 times
I know the apartments that I told you about, the Horizons do allow dogs. This area is very dog friendly! Also, don't let some negative posts bother you too much. If you are not sure about a poster, just click on their name, then you can see what other posts they have written. You WILL love it here!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM

182 posts, read 668,683 times
Firestone is far away, and there isn't a whole lot of "there" there. A lot of newer subdivisions, and a lot of foreclosures. Erie is a better choice in that direction.

You will be able to afford to rent a pleasant house in Louisville, and there are lots of pet friendly landlords. If you see a place that you like, but it says "no pets," it's still worth asking. My folks have a rental, they always advertise "no pets," and they always end up falling for someone with a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area