Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM

7 posts, read 27,113 times

Advertisements

I love many of the great things I've heard about Boulder- the restaurants, hip vibe, beautiful climate, etc. I am not interested in an ultra-liberal, ultra opinionated, hippie-elitist community. Can anyone recommend a town that may be nice for three young (mid 20s), conservative, middle class entrepreneurs to move too? We run our own business so jobs won't be a problem, we just want a gorgeous place to live with a great nightlife, young population, and plenty of things to do. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 03:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie585 View Post
I love many of the great things I've heard about Boulder- the restaurants, hip vibe, beautiful climate, etc. I am not interested in an ultra-liberal, ultra opinionated, hippie-elitist community. Can anyone recommend a town that may be nice for three young (mid 20s), conservative, middle class entrepreneurs to move too? We run our own business so jobs won't be a problem, we just want a gorgeous place to live with a great nightlife, young population, and plenty of things to do. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
There's a reason why liberal towns are more fun! I love Boulder and all the crazy ( I mean that in a good way) people. Sometimes I think I'd like to live there, but too far from work in Denver.

I guess Ft. Collins would be less liberal and still a college town with nightlife. I've never been there, so maybe someone else could give you more info. on FTC.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
You don't say how far west, north, east or south you want to be.

If you don't care, I'd say Aspen, Vail or Evergreen.

Evergreen being closest to Denver.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,410 times
I'm not sure you'd find exactly what you're looking for along the Front Range if you're looking for a conservative city. Much of the area (Denver-Boulder) is on the more liberal side and you may have difficulty finding what you're looking for.

As far as nightlife, you'd most likely have to go into either Denver or Boulder, both of which are more liberal than conservative (although hippie-elitist is definitely more Boulder).

You might try mountain towns (which hits the beauty aspect of your criteria) if you don't mind winters at elevation and a more conservative mindset amongst locals (not including tourists - you will find people of every faction).

Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Quote:
Denver. Yes, it's not a perfect comparison, since it's six times larger than Boulder in the city alone. It doesn't have quite the accessibility to the mountains as Boulder either. Also, despite the size difference, the two core cities are sometime-rivals, but frankly urban Denver offers everything Boulder does, and then some.

Politically, Denver is just as Democratic as Boulder, and has its share of hippies and liberals, but unlike Boulder Denver far more live-and-let-live attitude when it comes to politics. Republicans are welcome; in fact nobody cares much about party affiliation provided that you have the same live-and-let-live attitude.

Despite this, Perhaps you're looking to replicate something of that smaller city feel. In that case, I'd say look at Fort Collins. Fort Collins is a bit like two towns in one: the southern part being generic suburbia (think Lafayette in Boulder County) while the northern part of town reminds a bit of Boulder at times with the college town feel plus historic downtown area (called Old Town). FC itself is still a bit left of center, but a lot more balanced politically. I'm sure you'd find plenty of friends there from all over the spectrum.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:57 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
the southern part being generic suburbia (think Lafayette in Boulder County)
Not for good or bad, must interject; of all the communities in Boulder County, Lafayette is about the least generic suburbia. There's a complete range of housing, from poorest of the poor trailer parks to multi-million dollar golf course homes and multi-acreage horse estates. It's one of the old coal-mining towns, with an old town area. It's walkable. There's Waneka Lake and Coal Creek Trail. It's probably the most "diverse" of Boulder County communities.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Not for good or bad, must interject; of all the communities in Boulder County, Lafayette is about the least generic suburbia. There's a complete range of housing, from poorest of the poor trailer parks to multi-million dollar golf course homes and multi-acreage horse estates. It's one of the old coal-mining towns, with an old town area. It's walkable. There's Waneka Lake and Coal Creek Trail. It's probably the most "diverse" of Boulder County communities.
I agree. It's "diverse" in the true meaning of the word: rich and poor, multi-cultural anglo and hispanic, diversity of housing styles from suburban tract and the above that suzco mentioned to old miner's cottages, and much more.

Now to the OP's question, I agree with those who say for nightlife, either Denver or Boulder. Ft. Collins is, IMO, just too college town. Boulder has a lot more besides CU.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
It's probably the most "diverse" of Boulder County communities.
Okay, granted (you probably know more about Lafayette than me) -- my point was that Fort Collins was a bit of a hybrid between sububan and college town, with Prospect Road being the dividing line between the two.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM

7 posts, read 27,113 times
Default Does anyone have thoughts on Monument?

Thanks for everyone who posted information about Boulder, I think we are pretty convinced it won't suit us. We heard some nice things about Monument... does anyone have any information on that city? We like the Colorado Springs area as well.... but may want something a little smaller outside of CS.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:25 PM

50 posts, read 229,029 times
Quote:
If you find this place, anywhere in the US, let me know. I'm right with you that Boulder would be perfect if not for the in-your-face ultra-liberal politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area