Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:53 PM

64 posts, read 303,236 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

I am looking to move to Boulder come December (currently in Manhattan, KS). I will be there until August for work. I'm looking for an apartment to rent. I would like to know if any of you have personal experience and would advise me to look at any places? Currently, I'm looking at subleasing a condo in the Powderhorn Complex. If that falls through, I'd like to just find a good complex. I'd like no more than $800 a month. I don't mind commuting 5-10 minutes, but I'm just worried about traveling so much in the winter. I'd just like a clean safe place to live.

So, do you all have any suggestions? Also, does anybody have any advice for someone that will be staying in Boulder? I've only visited shortly- never stayed long. Anything else I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 07:04 PM

55 posts, read 286,106 times
Default Rentals

Hi, My family and I will be moving to Boulder as soon as we sell our home in TN. I've been looking for a rental through Craigslist.com and Housinghelpers.com. You may have already considered those sources, but just in case...

Good luck! We're excited...Boulder's beautiful!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:35 PM

I haven't looked at housing helpers. I'll give it a look.

Some others are forrent.com and rent.com.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:22 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,475,290 times
For $800 you should be able to find something decent in Boulder, just bear in mind that prices will be higher there for whatever you find. Eg; I paid $625 for a studio and that was out in Gunbarrel! Public transport in Boulder is very good so getting around town in the Winter shouldn't be a problem, altho it really doesn't snow there much. And if it does, it's usually melted within 24-48 hours. I moved from Minnesota and found Winter fantastic in comparison.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,285 times
Question Whaaaat?!?

What did you guys smoke?!?

For $800/month you will be in a small box in Boulder! We were out there and saw some of the $800/mo apts... they are old and very small.

Stay outside Boulder, if you can. It is pretty at first, but it is not as nice when you really learn more about it. Lot sof homeless, tons of alternative lifestyle people who look down on you for being youself, vegetarians who give you dirty looks when you are eating downtown by a window, and not to forget the Boulder crazy cost of living!

The sorrounding areas are much better, cheaper, cleaner (Longmont, Loveland, etc etc).

Old 11-27-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Oh dear

Christian,
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience in Boulder. I have to say I've never found it to be what you describe. Certainly not tons of homeless and never any judgmental treatment from anyone, much less vegetarians. I'm a carnivore who doesn't run, bike or do yoga and nobody's ever given me a hard time about it. Perhaps it depends on where one hangs out. Yes, Boulder is expensive, but anyone who plans on moving there has to know that. And definitely you will find cheaper places in Longmont or perhaps Broomfield. Loveland is a long way out and there's no public transport to Boulder from there. Check out Craigslist.com too.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:50 PM

Right now, I'm finding some good places (mainly condos) for 6-800 a month. They look nice, but unfortunately I won't be able to view it before I move. It's kinda scary, but it's only for 8 months.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:14 PM

170 posts, read 762,045 times
Christian11,

Christian11 wrote:

"Lot sof homeless, tons of alternative lifestyle people who look down on you for being youself, vegetarians who give you dirty looks when you are eating downtown by a window, and not to forget the Boulder crazy cost of living!"

I just want to give another view of Boulder. I spend a week there recently. There are more vegetarians than normal, and it is a very healthy, active lifestyle...but I felt people were very open-minded and accepting. I didn't feel any of the negative vibes that Christian11 felt. Having said that...I think Boulder may not be for everyone...but I definitely enjoyed it and would love to live there one day. I think it would be a great environment to raise kids and a lot of activities!! There are homeless people but I live in San Antonio and am used to seeing that so it didn't catch me off-guard at all.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ew2x4 View Post
Right now, I'm finding some good places (mainly condos) for 6-800 a month. They look nice, but unfortunately I won't be able to view it before I move. It's kinda scary, but it's only for 8 months.
I had to do the same thing and rented a place online without seeing it. I took a 6-month lease so gave myself the time to get to know the area and then moved again once I found something better. It's a pain moving twice in a year, but if you don't unpack everything it's not too bad. What area are you looking in?

Old 11-27-2006, 06:38 PM

At this point, I'm looking in downtown Boulder, Gunbarrel, and Longmont. I'm really not too picky. I just want something clean, safe, and in a decent area. So, I really don't know at this point. I'm just looking on Craigslist making emails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area