Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:42 PM

88 posts, read 312,621 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for your post. Can you tell me what you loved best about Ned High? What inspired you there? Are you still in Ned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM

290 posts, read 524,263 times
We moved to Coal Creek when my kids were in high school, so I can't comment on the K-8 schools other than the fact that both districts have excellent reputations. My kids went to Ralston Valley High School (Jeffco) and we were VERY pleased with that decision. One kid is at the Air Force Academy and the other has a full ride (half academic/half athletec) at a private college out of state. I would be a little concerned about some of the liberal policies I read about in the Boulder Schools.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks so much for your reply and your input. I have heard wonderful things about Ralston and obviously both of your kids did well for themselves.

I talked to a couple who had a 6th grader at Coal Creek K-8 and they were very pleased with the school and so was their son.

I am not sure about the liberal policies in the BVSD. Maybe I had better do some more reading on the forums!

Thanks again.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althea View Post
Thanks so much for your reply and your input. I have heard wonderful things about Ralston and obviously both of your kids did well for themselves.

I talked to a couple who had a 6th grader at Coal Creek K-8 and they were very pleased with the school and so was their son.

I am not sure about the liberal policies in the BVSD. Maybe I had better do some more reading on the forums!

Thanks again.
What specific policies are you concerned about? I know a lot about BVSD. Perhaps I can help clarify.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 PM

"I would be a little concerned about some of the liberal policies I read about in the Boulder Schools."

I haven't heard about any BVSD policies I am concerned about, but it sounds like some of their policies might be of concern to others?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:48 PM

I'm not trying to be dense here, but what policies are you referring to? Maybe a better way to put it, what have you heard?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:54 PM

This quote came from Bagz:

"I would be a little concerned about some of the liberal policies I read about in the Boulder Schools."

I am not sure I know what policies are of concern in BVSD, but being Boulder, I am sure there is something to be concerned about!

Maybe they are dyeing their students pink?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 PM

OK, I get it now. I guess bagz will have to answer. I sure don't know what s/he is talking about. My experience with BVSD is that it is very traditionally oriented. In many ways, not much different from when I went to school. I can't think of any specific "policies" that BVSD has that are liberal. They have policies on everything under the sun, which you can find on their website. I mean, kids call their teachers "Mr.", "Mrs.", etc, they have policies against cheating, some of the schools have dress codes, and the like.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:41 PM

26 posts, read 95,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Althea View Post
Thanks so much for your post. Can you tell me what you loved best about Ned High? What inspired you there? Are you still in Ned?
Sorry For the delay.
I Think the things that I found most important there were the teachers. Many of them really care about what they do and about their students. Also, when I was going there they had some really great programs (don't know if they still do).
one was breakfast club, where it was just a extended break between classes when you could buy a bagel, talk to teachers, catch up on something or just sort of wake up and get you brain functioning ( I think we all know how hard morning are for teenagers lol )

The other program was ELW (Extended Learning Week) Where you could choose from a list of workshops or trips to do for the week.
because of this program I was able to visit:
Canyonlands Natl Park
Havasui Falls in the Grand Canyon
Tour the Chicago Theater scene

I also did a work shop (where you stay in town)
Where I got to go to a horse ranch every day for the whole day and learn natural horsemanship in Boulder.

And no, I am no longer in Ned. After graduating in 2003, I had to move away because I could not afford the cost of living on my own. That to me is one of the biggest draw backs for rasing teens in the area. Many many kids I knew, if they didn't go away somewhere to college, lived with their parents till they were in their early/mid 20's. Not because they were bums, but becuase they just simply could NOT afford to live on their own and stay in the mountains or the Boulder area.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM

290 posts, read 524,263 times
Sorry it took so long to reply.

Boulder Schools have been on the cutting edge in not allowing military recruiters on the school grounds and they required students to see a speaker who encouraged the students to participate in sex and to use illegal drugs. Boulder High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also remember issues on the news about teachers pushing a liberal agenda and students who voiced opinions getting lower grades. Sorry but I don't remember the exact details of these events.

When confronted about the issues the school board backed the teachers and criticized the media outlets that brought the issues to public attention.

Personally I am not a conservative, so I don't want do get into a debate over these issues, but I am an advocate for vouchers and school choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area