Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,947 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am a wannabee adventurer. I'm 25 years old, closing in on 26, and I work for an insurance company in Mass. ...but that's ok.
I majored in Philosophy in college, I love to hike (though good hikes require about a 2+ hour car trip to the Whites of New Hampshire), and I'm beginning to feel that its time for a change.

I'm not a fan of the cold, but more specifically, its really just the snow that bothers me. In New England, our weather is...unpredictable. I love summers here, but the winters can be arduous. Sometimes we'll have horrible winters, while other years they can remain relatively mild.

I know that it snows in Boulder, but is it only in higher elevations? How about Colorodo Springs? Do temperatures stay below freezing for extended periods of time?

Hot summers are fine with me, but I'm tired of long winters and long drives to be at one with nature. Conversely, I don't want to go from a New England winter to one that is potentially worse! I'm not a skier, but I love the feel of being in close proximity to the mountains.

Also, I want to be in a liberal and open minded community that cares about the environment, protecting it, and has a sense of community. We could be called hippies (my girlfriend and I), but we're educated. We're not "elite", but want to be in a scene that promotes music/theatre/the arts/ect., and has affordable living. I have two friends who have visited Boulder, with nothing but positive things to say: lot's of music, good vibes, good people, happening downtown city-ish feel to name a few.

Anyhow, hippie or not, I'm OK with my insurance career. I just am curious about companies in the area. I've done some looking and most seem on the south side of Denver. While I don't mind working for "the man", I want to be around folks who might remind me from time to time that its more about being alive, and the adventure, than how much money we make.

Would I fit in in better in Boulder or Colorado Springs?
Any other ideas are always welcome!
If anyone could anwser even a slice of the mound of questions I've just asked, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Just off the top of my head (and based on your closing comments), I'd say maybe Boulder over Colorado Springs. [?]

Both would seem to meet your outdoorsy criteria, but Colorado Springs was ranked the 6th most conservative in the US by the (nonpartisan) Bay Area Center for Voting Research's 2005 study (Study Ranks Americas Most Liberal and Conservative Cities). The study ranked the 25 most conservative and 25 most liberal cities. Boulder does not show up on the list, but has a reputation for being a fairly liberal college town. (Despite the fact that it did not appear on the BACVR's 25 most liberal list.)

I'm sure you'll get more specific recommendations from more knowledgeable local posters, too.

Last edited by whynot?; 11-12-2008 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Added information.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee an adventurer View Post
I'm not a fan of the cold, but more specifically, its really just the snow that bothers me. In New England, our weather is...unpredictable. I love summers here, but the winters can be arduous. Sometimes we'll have horrible winters, while other years they can remain relatively mild.

I know that it snows in Boulder, but is it only in higher elevations? How about Colorodo Springs? Do temperatures stay below freezing for extended periods of time?

Hot summers are fine with me, but I'm tired of long winters and long drives to be at one with nature. Conversely, I don't want to go from a New England winter to one that is potentially worse! I'm not a skier, but I love the feel of being in close proximity to the mountains.
Well, maybe Colorado isn't quite the place for you. It does get cold--sometimes, it usually isn't constant, however. And, yes it does snow, so if you are looking for less snowfall, you won't find it here. But you will most likely have less constant snow-cover, it melts more quickly out here. Weather is probably even more unpredictable here, the weather forecasters never get it right.

It snows in Boulder, probably more annually than Colorado Springs. The higher elevations get more. It usually gets above freezing, daily, even in winter.

Hot summers do occur here. Being "at one with nature" would be relatively easy to get to from either city. Most folks say the winters here are easier to take than the ones back east.

Quote:
Also, I want to be in a liberal and open minded community that cares about the environment, protecting it, and has a sense of community. We could be called hippies (my girlfriend and I), but we're educated. We're not "elite", but want to be in a scene that promotes music/theatre/the arts/ect., and has affordable living. I have two friends who have visited Boulder, with nothing but positive things to say: lot's of music, good vibes, good people, happening downtown city-ish feel to name a few.
Boulder has all of that, except the affordable living. Colorado Springs is its polar opposite, but is affordable, so pick your poison.

Quote:
Would I fit in in better in Boulder or Colorado Springs?
Any other ideas are always welcome!
If anyone could anwser even a slice of the mound of questions I've just asked, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance
Why not try the western burbs of Denver,(i.e., Golden/Lakewood/Arvada) or Denver itself? It seems to have the best balance of what you are looking for.

Or if you are open to looking at other states, CA/AZ/OR/NV/WA/NM all have elements of what you are looking for as well.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
The weather is very unpredictable here as well - and as already mentioned, it's Colorado! It gets cold in the winter and it snows!

As David mentioned, it generally isn't on the ground all winter. Some winters here are milder than others - but some, as in a couple of years ago - it was horrible. We got hit with snow storm after snow storm and it stuck around. And winter can be long here as well - may not stay cold, but we can get snow here in May and it can start snowing in October.

I agree that you may want to check out some other states where you can be close to nature but are milder in weather.

It's easy to get a romantic notion regarding Colorado and living here. I think when people visit they tend to get a completely different vibe than the one that exists in the reality of everyday living. For example, you friends who visited Boulder and their impressions....

I love Boulder, but I actually (compared to Denver) find it goes dead around a certain time of night. There is not nearly the nightlife there as there is in Denver. In fact, unless you are a college student I suppose, we find it to be a bit non existent. If anyone can counter that I'd love to hear! My husband and I would love to find more nightlife things to do in Boulder.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:32 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
To give exact figures, the Denver/Boulder area averages about 65" of snow. Colorado Springs actually gets noticably less snow, about 45" worth. Colorado Springs' weather statistics are undeniably milder than Boulder's: highs about five degrees cooler in the summer, a few degrees warmer lows in the winter, and less snow. (Most of this is due to some rugged hills just north of COS called the Palmer Divide). Both Boulder and Colorado Springs, however, have likely much more snow than your average east coast city. From what you said, it sounds like you may have the wrong impression about Colorado weather.

Colorado Springs is a conservative town, no question about that, although it's important to keep in perspective. Colorado Springs did replace one of its Republicans with a Democrat in the state senate this election cycle, and about 42% of the population did vote for Obama. So, if you're liberal you'd be in the minority but not alone. If you do choose Colorado Springs, I'd head straight for Manitou Springs or neighboring Old Colorado City -- it's a liberal/hippie pocket in an otherwise conservative area.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 AM

229 posts, read 750,483 times
Quote:
Also, I want to be in a liberal and open minded community that cares about the environment, protecting it, and has a sense of community.
I have to disagree with some of these posts in this thread. No doubt that Colorado Springs is very conservative in politics, but that town is very progressive in expanding their parks and open spaces. Collectively, ten years ago they voted for an increased sales TOPS tax (Trails & Open Space) to basically buy land and preserve it for parks. Just from looking at their city's website, in the past decade they've conserved Austin Bluffs, Blodget Peak, Red Rock Canyon and recently Coral Bluffs. I think the state is also establishing Cheyenne Mountain State park just to the south of the city. This is on top of long established parks like Garden of the Gods and Cheyenne Canyon. These are not small areas and are free (In Boulder, out of county residents must pay a fee in Boulder Mountain Park). The cycling and running communities in Colorado Springs rivals that of Boulder and generally the trails are much less crowded down there.

So basically, Colorado Springs is a conservative town that cares about the environment and protecting it. Downtown and Manitou Springs are more liberal. I think Progressive Insurance may also have some operation down there. The weather is pretty much the same along the front-range from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins.

Jobs are probably more available in Denver/Boulder. Boulder's downtown is certainly more hip. Housing is more expensive in Boulder. More hippies in Boulder, but no good commune.

Last edited by movementarian; 11-13-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,426 times
They say the truth is out there, well, here it is:

Front Range winter versus New England winter: much, much warmer and milder, but a fair bit more of dealing with snow. Also, a handful of days of extreme, freakish cold, which generally doesn't occur in New England (anymore).

Old 11-13-2008, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 58,077 times
Default Boulder

Based on what is important to you, Boulder is by far the best place for you.

Good luck!

Thanks,

Mario Jannatpour

Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM

54 posts, read 128,464 times
Default Did you say conservative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
Just off the top of my head (and based on your closing comments), I'd say maybe Boulder over Colorado Springs. [?]

Both would seem to meet your outdoorsy criteria, but Colorado Springs was ranked the 6th most conservative in the US by the (nonpartisan) Bay Area Center for Voting Research's 2005 study (Study Ranks Americas Most Liberal and Conservative Cities). The study ranked the 25 most conservative and 25 most liberal cities. Boulder does not show up on the list, but has a reputation for being a fairly liberal college town. (Despite the fact that it did not appear on the BACVR's 25 most liberal list.)

I'm sure you'll get more specific recommendations from more knowledgeable local posters, too.
Thank you for the information, it has been difficult to find an affordable yet beautiful city with a conservative status and milder weather for possible relocation. My husband enjoys snow but frigid cold and rain not so much. Me? I'm all about blue sky serenity, fresh air and friendly people. I would love to find myself in a development with architectural freedom and access to water (you know like a man-made lake). I can always depend on City-Data for insight. Thanks again

Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I'll refrain from discussing the weather as I think most everyone here got it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
It's easy to get a romantic notion regarding Colorado and living here. I think when people visit they tend to get a completely different vibe than the one that exists in the reality of everyday living. For example, you friends who visited Boulder and their impressions....

I love Boulder, but I actually (compared to Denver) find it goes dead around a certain time of night. There is not nearly the nightlife there as there is in Denver. In fact, unless you are a college student I suppose, we find it to be a bit non existent. If anyone can counter that I'd love to hear! My husband and I would love to find more nightlife things to do in Boulder.
I would agree with your assessment. There's not a lot of "nightlife" in Boulder, other than bars. There is theater and dance at the U of Colorado, a great symphony, and some other artsy stuff. At the risk of getting stoned by some of the Boulderites, I'll say that most of it isn't on a par with what Denver has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post

Colorado Springs is a conservative town, no question about that, although it's important to keep in perspective. Colorado Springs did replace one of its Republicans with a Democrat in the state senate this election cycle, and about 42% of the population did vote for Obama. So, if you're liberal you'd be in the minority but not alone. If you do choose Colorado Springs, I'd head straight for Manitou Springs or neighboring Old Colorado City -- it's a liberal/hippie pocket in an otherwise conservative area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
I have to disagree with some of these posts in this thread. No doubt that Colorado Springs is very conservative in politics, but that town is very progressive in expanding their parks and open spaces. Collectively, ten years ago they voted for an increased sales TOPS tax (Trails & Open Space) to basically buy land and preserve it for parks. Just from looking at their city's website, in the past decade they've conserved Austin Bluffs, Blodget Peak, Red Rock Canyon and recently Coral Bluffs. I think the state is also establishing Cheyenne Mountain State park just to the south of the city. This is on top of long established parks like Garden of the Gods and Cheyenne Canyon. These are not small areas and are free (In Boulder, out of county residents must pay a fee in Boulder Mountain Park). The cycling and running communities in Colorado Springs rivals that of Boulder and generally the trails are much less crowded down there.

So basically, Colorado Springs is a conservative town that cares about the environment and protecting it. Downtown and Manitou Springs are more liberal. I think Progressive Insurance may also have some operation down there. The weather is pretty much the same along the front-range from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins.

Jobs are probably more available in Denver/Boulder. Boulder's downtown is certainly more hip. Housing is more expensive in Boulder. More hippies in Boulder, but no good commune.
Yes, Colorado Springs isn't all it's cracked up to be, conservatively speaking. I have family down there who were working for Obama, and our venerable Mike from back east also lives down there and was part of the Obama campaign. Housing is more expensive in Boulder than COS, but the Boulder-Denver price disparity is not as much as many make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area