Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:01 PM

4 posts, read 17,690 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all who replied from my previous post.

Boulder seems perfect for me. The outdoors, sunshine and scenery is exactly what i like.

My only concern is its people. I've been reading alot of threads about boulder. Here are my concerns.

I'm half Aussie/half maori, so a mixed bag, no white anyway. How will that play? I post this based on diversity and foreigners comments.

I dont know anyone - The whole cliquish thing in Boulder.

Í'm down to earth, and although will be on decent money avoid the whole "how much money do you make, what do you drive" scene.

In the end i'm young, looking for fun, chasing girls, being happy, playing sport whilst building a US branch of our company.

Please help me put these concerns to rest or steer me away from Boulder.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 PM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
Boulder is the most tolerant city that I have lived in. I really don't think your ethnicity will be a problem. I think you will enjoy Boulder.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:12 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
I agree. The diversity in Boulder is pretty good considering it is still CO. CU helps with that. I think there is a certain crowd that is about how much money you make, etc. but I think you can get that anywhere. If you frequent country clubs and high end establishments you might find more of this, but if you're just a regular person, this won't even be an issue for you.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:54 PM

55 posts, read 175,225 times
I'm not white and I live in Boulder. I have never experienced racism or intolerance of any kind, period. Can't say that for every place I've lived. Plus, keep in mind that intolerance is not always endemic. The cases I've heard about in Boulder are very much isolated incidents.

Bring a racist into any city, set him loose to say racist things. Does that mean the city itself is racist? No, of course not.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:43 PM

35 posts, read 155,259 times
There are racist people everywhere you travel in the world.
Just don't listen to them is what I do!

Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 PM

92 posts, read 365,773 times
I think you'll do just fine in Boulder. imho, i think your background (from Australia, being half maori) would pique the interest of most Boulderites. If they ask questions, it won't be out of racism, but rather out of interest in your experience and your cultural history.

For myself, I don't understand the accusation against Boulder that it's cliquish and racist. I lived there about nine years and never saw that. It is true that Boulderites tend to organize their social lives around groups--say their children's sports leagues, their workplaces, and their interest groups in general--but i don't think that's any different than other parts of the US.

And don't be deterred by those who say Boulderites are status conscious. Boulder is a town, not a city, and it happens to have a high average income relative to the region. Higher incomes means more expensive stuff for the average resident and the concentration of high incomes in a small town is going to exaggerate the appearance of residents being status conscious. Some are; most aren't.

that you're career-oriented and wanting to have some fun suggests Boulder and its residents would be a very good match for you.

I hope what i've written helps put your mind at ease. And, welcome to CO!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
The reason Boulder is considered racist is that there are so few minorities that live there. You can check out the stats on City-Data's home page for Boulder. Most people of color who live there find themselves accepted, from what I have heard. (I am white, can't verify this myself.)

I don't think Boulder is exactly cliquey b/c there are people moving in and out all the time for school. I really don't understand where that accusation comes from.

Status conscious, yes, especailly regarding participation in outdoor activities such as mountain climbing, cross-country skiing, biking, kayaking, etc.

In any city the size of Boulder (~100,000 people) you will find like-minded people to be friends with.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,938 times
I'm almost 23 myself, and arrived last month from Melbourne, Australia. Am half filipino & white new zealander. I would personally recommend Boulder to you over Denver. The people here from what I've experienced thus far are friendly, outgoing and the mountain scenery is simply breathtaking.
If anything, people are quick to comment on your accent and ask all sorts of funny questions about Aussie life!
I think you'd enjoy it here. If nothing else, it'd be nice to befriend a fellow aussie here!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 AM

55 posts, read 175,225 times
Perplex,

My wife is from NZ and thinking of starting a monthly social event for Kiwis to gather 'round. If you or anyone else are interested, let me know.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osman View Post
Perplex,

My wife is from NZ and thinking of starting a monthly social event for Kiwis to gather 'round. If you or anyone else are interested, let me know.
Would you also accept people who've been there a few times and have some close personal connections with NZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: