Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 AM

111 posts, read 574,834 times

Advertisements

thanks tfox! That's really helpful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 04:02 PM

13 posts, read 77,786 times
Default Louisville vs. Superior

What's the scoop on these two towns? I know Louisville has an actual downtown with independently-owned stores and restaurants, while Superior is a newer bedroom community with a large shopping complex. But, do the populations differ much in terms of attitude, friendliness, sense of community? My partner and I currently live in Boulder (for job proximity), but are looking to move where we can afford to buy. We don't need the all-out faux liberalism of Boulder, just a place where we can raise a family, enjoy the outdoors, and have neighbors who won't be freaked out by a gay couple living next to them.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Both cities are very family oriented. Louisville is the older, more established community. There are community festivals there that have been going on for decades, at least (4th of July festival, Labor Day festival, Parade of Lights in December, etc). There are churches in Louisville, a large rec center which is used a lot by Superior residents, and a library (ditto). There is currently a broo-ha-ha going on about Superior contributing to library expenses. Louisville has a community theater group and concerts in the parks in the summer.

Superior is newer and has fewer of these services. It reminds me of Louisville about 20 yrs ago, except that Louisville has had a library for many years.

There is a gay couple in my neighborhood. They are well accepted. I live in Louisville.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:14 PM

13 posts, read 77,786 times
Thanks, pittnurse70! Yes, in my internet 'research,' I had come upon the whole library issue - it kind of turned me off to Superior, though I suppose there may be other issues involved. I just know I wouldn't want to live in a place that didn't value a library or the importance of paying one's share. Mainly, I'm just a bit concerned about what kind of house we can afford in Louisville, whereas Superior seems slightly more affordable.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:04 AM

530 posts, read 2,624,745 times
My family and I moved to the area last June. At first we lived in an apartment in Superior and finally bought a house in Louisville. both communities are great places to live. We looked at houses in both areas. One thing to consider before buying a house in Superior is that there are a lot of ground settling issues and some houses have foundation problems. Make sure you ask and check before you buy. Louisville does not seem to have as much of a settling issue. I think both areas are understanding and tolerant for any lifestyle. We moved from New Orleans which was so racist, that I think either town is a breath of fresh air compared to what we had, I guess it's all relative.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
I moved to Louisville in 95. I visited there in 1992 and Superior was just rolling hills! No stores,no housing developements, no malls or apartments just rolling hills! Louisville came about in the late 1800's. Superior is very new and very expensive. When I moved to Louisville in 95 they just starting building some houses there. 5000 square ft houses that went for 350,000 dollars. Those same houses are 700,000 today! And it is very built up BUT small. Theres townhomes, apartments, and normal size houses there now among alot of stores and a VERY NICE outside mall. Its a very family oriented place. As is Louisville but its bigger there and thats where the kids from Superior go to HS. But Colorado has actually come down a little in house prices. It peaked about 3-6 years ago and topped off.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,111 times
Default Moving to Superior/Louisville -Looking for Info

My husband has accepted a job in Louisville in January and we have been looking for homes to rent. We would like to live in Superior or possibly Louisville but don't want to buy at this point. It does not appear that there are any homes that are available. Are we looking in the wrong places or are there really no homes for rent? I would appreciate if anyone could give us some help. We have three children so we would like to rent a home and not a condo.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,098 times
Hi,

Congratulations on your move to Colorado, you'll love it here. Unfortunately, there isn't a large home rental market in the Louisville / Superior area - most of the rentals are apartments or condos and townhomes.

I'm sure you're already looking in the local classifieds (be sure to check the Daily Camera out of Boulder in addition to the Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post). Probably your best bet is Craiglist.org - that's where most rental listings will be found these days. There is a Denver Craigslist and a Boulder Craigslist, so be sure to check both. You can search by city, and if you don't find much in Louisville or Superior, you might check Lafayette, Erie or Broomfield, the closest other suburbs.

Good luck!
Ron

Old 12-24-2009, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 17,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesunnydays View Post
I am thinking of relocating from new york city to colorado. Are Louisville and Superior comparable? The schools look great in both towns. Is the commute to Denver doable? From what I've been reading, Boulder doesn't sound like a great place to raise a family - but what about the surrounding towns? thanks! (Any comments on how colorado is a better place to live than california are welcome! My daughter's father lives in big sur, ca, so she'll be flying to monterey several times a year. But all I read about ca is how middle class families are leaving because of the high cost of housing. I can afford something around $300k, which seems to get you a lot more house in co than ca.)
California is way too expensive and not a place for families unless you can afford a 1mil for a house.
I love it here coming from Chicago and I would never go back to the Midwest. Boulder county has the best schools. The town of boulder is way over priced and 300k would not get you anything but a fixer upper.
Superior or Louisville you can't go wrong with. Louisville is a cute town with a great Main Street and hometown feel. Superior is newer and just a big subdivision but a great one so either you would be fine in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area