Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
Xeriscaping is a necessity. Boulder is a semi-arid environment and does not have an endless water supply! (smacks head)! I would have thought, with all of your research that you would know that. (confused)
You took the words out of my mouth! With the water situation here, dumping water to make a lush landscape that is not natural to the area is irresponsible. Boulder is not a mountain town - Aspens are not native - many trees aren't. The cottonwoods are naturally found along the water sources such as creeks/rivers.

The reason the 29th street mall is devoid of large trees is because it's pretty much brand new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,995 times
Thanks to the above who actually know what they are talking about, because they LIVE here. Perhaps Mr. Lane should read the Native Landscaping Guide of Boulder County.
Here is an excerpt from an article I read online: Using Evaporative Coolers in Colorado's Dry Climate - Boulder County Home and Garden Magazine (http://www.homeandgardenmag.com/articles_su07/xeriscaping_low_water_garden.html - broken link)
In fact, low-water gardens grow throughout Boulder County, in response to ever more apparent climate change and worsening drought. But as the xeric philosophy spreads, so do myths and misunderstanding, leaving many would-be xeriscapers unimpressed and apathetic. People incorrectly imagine xeriscape as cacti and gravel, landscape experts say, and a huge hassle to install. Done wrong, yes, xeriscape can be an eyesore—not to mention dry, hot and a lot of work. But with a little awareness of the possible pitfalls, your low-water garden will bloom lush and vibrant and require very little upkeep.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Tom Lane has produced some odd posts on this topic. He seems to labor under the misconception that most western towns are in areas that are naturally forested and that somehow development is actually reducing the amount of tree cover that would naturally occur in these areas. The reality is that the parts of the west that most people live in are too dry for natural tree growth (except along streams where extra water is available in the soil). Flagstaff is a notable exception in that it is in an area mesic enough to support ponderosa pine forests. However, it's still too dry for most eastern hardwoods to survive without irrigation. If he wants natural vegetation to be restored to Boulder then he's talking about shortgrass prairie.

I think that Boulder is much more beautiful then Fort Collins but the reason for that has little to do with the presence or absence of large deciduous hardwoods. Rather, it's because Boulder has such a dramatic scenic backdrop and because the foothills are high enough to be universally visible through the tree canopy. I also think that their emphasis on infill, and their aggressive purchasing of open space that rings the city add greatly to the quality of life there. Also, there are building height restrictions that are designed to preserve the viewsheds. I'd like to see more xeriscaping there (along the lines of Santa Fe) but they're still doing a better job then Fort Collins (where the bluegrass lawn is virtually uncontested as the landscaping of choice).

Old 06-05-2009, 01:36 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
If he wants natural vegetation to be restored to Boulder then he's talking about shortgrass prairie.
We have areas by our house next to a creek where the city allows the natural prairie grasses to grow. I'm sure there would be many, who are unaware of what really grows here, thinking it's ugly and wondering why the city doesn't mow! I think it's so beautiful. I walk through there every day and the birds, etc. thrive. Not to mention, the grasses really are beautiful.

The city does have signs up occasionally along the path explaining it - I suppose so they aren't bombarded with people complaining.....

Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,389 times
Wow. I love that everyone is into trees as much as I am. That cottonwood is beautiful. Can't argue that part of Boulder's charm is the backdrop. I don't know much about xeriscaping, but I think I've seen the LA equivalent - the rock and cactus lawn. Double-yuck.

I knew Boulder was a drier climate. I guess I didn't think it was that much drier than the wooded foothills.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 PM

229 posts, read 750,862 times
Anyone have any good sources or links for xeriscaping? As in how-to stuff? When its done well, it looks so nice. Unfortunately, its an art that seems really difficult to get right (and you end up with the rock and cactus lawn).

Old 06-05-2009, 02:02 PM

qfrost, I don't think you read my post all the way through. Xeriscaping is not a yard full of rocks and cacti! It is a way of creating a healthy, attractive landscape that conserves water and requires less maintenance. Xeriscape is based on sound horticultural practices using plants native to an area. It attracts insects, birds, and butterflies. You can have roses, tulips, lilacs and most of your favorite flowers and shrubs. : )

Old 06-05-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
Anyone have any good sources or links for xeriscaping? As in how-to stuff? When its done well, it looks so nice. Unfortunately, its an art that seems really difficult to get right (and you end up with the rock and cactus lawn).
YES! There are many sites with great info. It is really not difficult to do at all. I don't have a green thumb by any means, and I think my xeriscape looks great. Here is one site to get you started: Xeriscaping: Creative Landscaping As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is a book, Native Landscaping Guide of Boulder County. Copies were available from Paul Lander, Boulder Water Conservation Office, 303-413-7407. I don't know if they still are.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:21 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,389 times
Hey Hipchik - I read the articles, and there are some truly beautiful gardens there (images are too small to see detail, but I get the idea). As long as it's also possible to get a full lawn of grass with a couple of shade trees in the concept, I'm all for it.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
As long as it's also possible to get a full lawn of grass ....
I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area