Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 AM

163 posts, read 576,998 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what you folks living there in Boulder/Denver do when the temps drop to 4 or lower at night and only reach a high of something like 18 all day? How do you warm yourselves and your homes? And is heating expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 03:22 AM

364 posts, read 991,472 times
Ski, sled, shop, going to the movies, go to restaurants, go to nightclubs, stay home and watch TV. Houses stay warm due to the thermostat. For me, heating costs are just a tad bit higher than summer when I have the AC going.

Also, Denver has about 300 days of sunshine. That's more annual sunny days that San Diego and Miami. Buyah!!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 AM

Default Utility costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
Ski, sled, shop, going to the movies, go to restaurants, go to nightclubs, stay home and watch TV. Houses stay warm due to the thermostat. For me, heating costs are just a tad bit higher than summer when I have the AC going.

Also, Denver has about 300 days of sunshine. That's more annual sunny days that San Diego and Miami. Buyah!!
Can anyone give me a guesstimate on what a monthly heating bill would be there? Say for a one or two bedroom apartment? Thank you for such a speedy response Love.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:59 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,124,383 times
The cold really doesn't prevent anyone from doing anything (as lovetheoutdoors stated). Wear the proper clothing and life goes on normally. As for me, I ski as much as possible unless it's below zero.
When I lived in Boulder the only time heating was stupidly expensive was when I lived in a condo with electric heat. The bills were ridiculous. You don't want electric heat here!

Old 12-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
The cold really doesn't prevent anyone from doing anything (as lovetheoutdoors stated). Wear the proper clothing and life goes on normally. As for me, I ski as much as possible unless it's below zero.
When I lived in Boulder the only time heating was stupidly expensive was when I lived in a condo with electric heat. The bills were ridiculous. You don't want electric heat here!
In Wa State that is mostly what we have. What kind of heat are you talking about? Gas Heat? Yes the electric heat here is very expensive.
I am wondering what kind of special clothing? Like insulated undies?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM

364 posts, read 991,472 times
Dreamboatannie953, I have to chuckle when I write this as it sounds like you think you're talking about Antarctica. Colorado and Washington really aren't that much different. We tend to get a tad colder but not by much.

Neditate said "proper clothing" not "special clothing". This means a jacket, hat, gloves, whatever the weather calls for. Common sense dictates what I wear when I do outdoor activities.

But I've never had to wear insulated undies or longjohns or anything like that.

Are you planning on moving to Denver? I say the move is worth is just so you can get away from those cloudy skies. I used to live in Washington; I literally despised it because of all those cloudy days. I was much happier when I came to Denver.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Default Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
Dreamboatannie953, I have to chuckle when I write this as it sounds like you think you're talking about Antarctica. Colorado and Washington really aren't that much different. We tend to get a tad colder but not by much.

Neditate said "proper clothing" not "special clothing". This means a jacket, hat, gloves, whatever the weather calls for. Common sense dictates what I wear when I do outdoor activities.

But I've never had to wear insulated undies or longjohns or anything like that.

Are you planning on moving to Denver? I say the move is worth is just so you can get away from those cloudy skies. I used to live in Washington; I literally despised it because of all those cloudy days. I was much happier when I came to Denver.
We are in the teens tonight but that is rare in Seattle. I see many times in Denver winters that it gets to less than 5 degrees at night. I cannot imagine being out in that without insulated undies, lol. Yes we are just fed up with the wet climate here. UGHHH... we need sunny days even if they are cold days. I don't think we could ever handle the 105 days in Scottsdale, Az so we think Boulder. My honey was born and raised in Boulder till he was 10 yrs old. He does not remember how cold it felt there when the daily high was 20 degrees, he was too young.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 AM

31 posts, read 125,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboatannie953 View Post
We are in the teens tonight but that is rare in Seattle. I see many times in Denver winters that it gets to less than 5 degrees at night. I cannot imagine being out in that without insulated undies, lol. Yes we are just fed up with the wet climate here. UGHHH... we need sunny days even if they are cold days. I don't think we could ever handle the 105 days in Scottsdale, Az so we think Boulder. My honey was born and raised in Boulder till he was 10 yrs old. He does not remember how cold it felt there when the daily high was 20 degrees, he was too young.
Keep in mind that the dryness of Colorado makes the cold much more bearable. 5 degrees here probably feels like 20 degrees in WA. It was 3 when I left the house this morning... I wore my light coat, no big deal. Thankfully I park in a garage, maybe I'd put on gloves if I parked outside to keep my hands from freezing until the car warmed up, or certainly if I was spending any time outside, but otherwise it really is no big deal. I shoveled snow yesterday in 8 degrees with just regular clothes, my light jacket and gloves, and no problem. And I just moved here from CA 2 years ago. Last December, when it got to -18.... ok, that was pretty miserable. But also really rare.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
My son wears shorts to school are year long. I don't know how they stand it, but most seem to do that. It's rare he'll put jeans on. We went up in the mountains to cut our Christmas tree Saturday and lo and behold, he actually wore jeans.....

Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
My son wears shorts to school are year long. I don't know how they stand it, but most seem to do that. It's rare he'll put jeans on. We went up in the mountains to cut our Christmas tree Saturday and lo and behold, he actually wore jeans.....
OMG that is funny, we have a 16 yr old grandson like that he's running around in just a hoodie in 20 degrees. But he has on jeans. I think I understand more now about the cold there and I thank everyone for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area