Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 11:01 PM

48 posts, read 128,264 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to Colorado! (I'm torn between Oregon and Colorado)

Is there more to do in Boulder or in Denver? I like to walk and hike in nature. I enjoy cultural events and farmers markets. Music is a love. Stage theatre is good too, but I don't go that often.
I was looking at a YouTube video of Boulder, and perhaps it was just the areas I was looking at, but it didn't seem as beautiful as I thought it would be. The video was taken in Summer, I assume, and the hills looked all dried up.
Also, do you think Denver or Boulder is safer. I know Boulder has an excellent reputation. In addition, I'm a very progressive minded person. I appreciate a tolerant attitude toward other cultures/religions/sexual orientation.

How would you compare their public transportation?
From what I've read, Denver seems to be hotter in the Summer than Boulder. I don't like the heat too much.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NewHomeOregon; 12-21-2010 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 AM

553 posts, read 1,545,293 times
Hi NewHomeOregon,
You should search some of these threads in CO, Denver and Boulder. You might find the answers you're looking for. People have been posting all of their likes and dislikes about both cities. I can't remember which thread I recently posted on, but I had a paragraph about Boulder that sparked some interest. Some people thought I was telling stories, but no, it was all true. I haven't posted that much, so you should be able to find it quickly.

I think you might have gotten the impression that Boulder isn't very close to Denver and that they have completely different climates, crime, transportations, etc.
  • Whatever the temp is in Denver, is pretty much the same in Boulder.
  • "Boulder has an excellent reputation"? I enjoy visiting Boulder. I think it is very beautiful. But I personally could never live there. I have my own reasons, which may be reasons why somebody else might love it. (Mork & Mindy lived in Boulder, CO. for a reason!)
  • Crime happens everywhere. Just when you think you live in such a great neighborhood, something horrible will happen to shake you up. (JonBonet?)
  • As for transportation...I've always owned a car. I don't know any different. Someone else can address that one.
  • "Is there more to do in Boulder or in Denver?" There is a LOT of things to do in both cities. Whatever you feel like doing, jump on the hwy (I-36) and go do it. It might take you all of 30 min's to get from Boulder to Denver or vice versa.
  • "progressive minded person"? We are everywhere. I don't tolerate intolerant people.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:23 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeOregon View Post
I was looking at a YouTube video of Boulder, and perhaps it was just the areas I was looking at, but it didn't seem as beautiful as I thought it would be. The video was taken in Summer, I assume, and the hills looked all dried up.
This is a semi-arid climate. During the summer, the foothills are all dried up. This is not a lush, green, forested area.

And the other poster is correct. There's not much different in temp between Denver and Boulder. It's gets just as hot in Boulder too. I sometimes think if someone has never been here before, they have the impression Denver/Boulder are in the mountains.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:33 AM

724 posts, read 1,934,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
This is a semi-arid climate. During the summer, the foothills are all dried up. This is not a lush, green, forested area.
This was the biggest 'false' concept we had of Boulder. But that aside, from what you've described Boulder would be a better fit.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,301 times
I would say it depends what you are looking for - both cities have good transit, decent to good bicycle facilities, progressive attitudes. Both have music, although in variety and amount Denver has more. Boulder has nature very close; Denver has some decent bike trails, pakrs and open areas but to really get into nature you have to drive or take a bus. Boulder is a college town of 100,000, 30,000 of whom are students. It is not terribly culturally diverse, is largely either upper-middle-class or renters, and has more of a mix of suburban, professional or aging hippie outlooks. Denver is a bigger city with diversity, ethnic neighborhoods, places like Capitol Hill where younger people and young professionals flock - its a bit different vibe. Boulder has well-rated schools; Denver is more hit-or-miss.

Also pay attention to how you want to live and what you can afford. Coloproperty.com can give you a good idea. Boulder has satellite cities that are more affordable - Louisville, Lafayette, Longmont, Gunbarrel (not really a city), Niwot ... Denver has neat historic neighborhoods and there are threads on them (Highlands, for example).

Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
The transit company is the same for both cities, RTD. Boulder has pretty good service b/c people use it a lot.

There is more to do in Denver, that kind of goes with the territory of Denver being a city of 600,000 and Boulder a city of 100,000.

I agree with others that the temperature difference is minimal, maybe a couple of degrees or so.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 PM

139 posts, read 300,749 times
I just visited Boulder and the things like Google maps street view, etc do not do it justice. Very, very nice, I'd say visit once just to get a real feel. Or at the very least visit for a day or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area