Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 AM

468 posts, read 799,894 times

Advertisements

My husband changed careers and he went back to school to become a school counselor here in Minnesota. Then, the bottom fell out of the economy. Counseling jobs are few and far between, as they are everywhere. We have decided that we would be willing to move elsewhere if he was able to get a job. We are making a list of places where we would be interested in living so we can widen the job search. The Boulder area made it on the list, though he would have to pass the PLACE exam to get his Colorado license. I know it will be expensive but we are originally from Northern Virginia so I don't think we will be in for too much sticker shock after looking at some of the housing prices in and around Boulder.

After reading through many threads, am I right to think that BVSD is the best one in the area? We have 3 daughters. Our oldest is disabled, both cognitively and physically. She has the best SPED teacher in the world right now(I am a bit biased) We do want her to get the attention she needs. She really isn't mainstreamed at all except for what I call "token" inclusion. That is fine because her life will never be mainstream. I want her to be able to develop her skills to the best of her individual ability. The other two are in a Montessori preschool and would *hopefully* go to a Montessori charter school if we stayed here. That all depends on the lottery, of course. Am I correct in understanding that some of the BVSD school are method specific, such as a Montessori elementary school? Is going there lottery/waitlist based?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
My kids went to BVSD, so I'm tempted to say, yes, BVSD is the "best". However, there really is no "best" district around here, and certainly no one best school. BVSD and Cherry Creek have a reputation for being very good at special ed.

There is a Montessori school in the BVSD that is a "focus" school, not a charter. The main difference between the two is that charters don't have to follow the BVSD curriculum, while focus schools do, just in a different way. In other words, a Montessori focus school will teach the math required of BVSD, just in their own way.

BVSD also has neighborhood schools with their own attendance areas that follow the BVSD curriculum. Every child has an assigned attendance area school.

Placement at the focus and charter schools is by lottery. It's already been done for the upcoming school year. You can find out more at Boulder Valley School District

Old 04-11-2010, 02:49 PM

468 posts, read 799,894 times
Thanks for clarifying the focus vs. charter schools, Katiana. It is good to know that there is no one "best" district or school. I appreciate your help!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 PM

18 posts, read 59,508 times
I may not be the best to answer, but I have heard BVSD is very good for special needs. I have friends who go to Montessoris, Waldorf schools, other types? You may be best suited to take a trip and visit them and sit down with each one to assess their programs. I know there are some Montessori elementary schools, but I think you may need to be in their preschool program to be eligible for the elementary program. Take a look at the bvsd website (you may have already done this) and that will be a good starting point. The regular elementary (which are some of the best IMO) schools are based on whatever neighborhood you are in, or if you choose to open enroll to one of your choice. Our neighborhood school is great, but I am probably biased.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:19 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,389 times
Is BVSD a better school district than Adams Co. or Jefferson Co.?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
"Better" is in the eyes or mind of the beholder.

BVSD is generally thought of as an excellent school district. BVSD consistently has some of the best performing schools on CSAPs, etc. (I live in the BVSD; my kids went to BVSD schools.) However, JeffCo and Adams 12 star, or whatever its official name is, have some wonderful schools.

Try to lose the mindset that choosing the "better" school district, when all of those you're looking at have many great schools, and you'll have a better chance of finding the right place for your family when you move to Colorado. Look at the individual schools, the individual neighborhoods, consider your commute, etc. There are many good schools here, in all of the school districts.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
To add to suzco's post above, Adams County has several school districts; Adams 12 Five Star (parts of Broomfield, Northglenn, Thornton), Adams 50 (Wesminster), Adams 14 (Commerce City), and some districts out on the eastern plains. All have a different "vibe".

Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Great advice above because within any school district there are great schools and not so great schools. Each school needs to be individually looked at.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 AM

724 posts, read 1,934,389 times
Thanks - I figured as much, but I hear much more about BVSD as a whole here, so glad to hear it's more of an individual school thing. My concern is that once we move, it's going to be a house that doesn't have everything we want, so the odds are we'd move up within the time frame my daughter is in school, and I'd want to maximize the chances she could keep the school she's in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area