Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:40 PM

10,179 posts, read 20,808,625 times

Advertisements

P4P Wright and Forrest are better boxers than Norton, Spinks and Frazier. Cotto is right where he should be, and his loss to Margarito is now under question since the loaded gloves fiasco. Manny in top form can beat Mayweather, he won't look good doing it, but he'll get the job done. Mayweather wants to write his own ticket, so from this point forward he'll pick and choose his prey as he's done for the last 5 years. Hey, maybe he can lure Gatti out of retirement if he wants a guaranteed win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,618,458 times
Ok wait so Cotto's loss to Margarito is suspect for loaded gloves, but Mosleys wins when he was on PED's are not? Pot meet kettle..

Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,621,685 times
Pacquiao destroys Mayweather!!! No doubt about it.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Ok wait so Cotto's loss to Margarito is suspect for loaded gloves, but Mosleys wins when he was on PED's are not? Pot meet kettle..
I'll grant you that. I'm no fan of roided up athletes regardless of sports. Which sucks, because for years I was a big Roy Jones Jr. fan, and I feel his accomplishments in the ring were tarnished by his steroid use. What's sad is that he probably would have been just as great without them. So while I do feel fighters and all athletes should be held accountable for drug use, I won't go so far as to say it erases a win. There were many fighters in the 70's and 80's who were coked up in the ring, Roberto Duran to name one. Not sure how that hurt or helped him, but I've been told that the night of his famous "No Mas" fight with Leonard he was so coked up he couldn't focus so he just quit. Tyson was another steroid abuser, and we'll never know if it was his talent or if it was the roids that gave him the edge.

All that said, I still feel that the Mosley that defeated Margarito can defeat Mayweather. Mayweather is a great fighter, but to the trained eye, his flaws are visible and a good trainer will know how to defeat him. That was the greatness of Eddie Futch when he trained Frazier and Norton, he tought them both how to beat Ali and it worked. Freddie Roach can coach Pacman to a victory over Mayweather IMHO.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,354,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'll grant you that. I'm no fan of roided up athletes regardless of sports. Which sucks, because for years I was a big Roy Jones Jr. fan, and I feel his accomplishments in the ring were tarnished by his steroid use. What's sad is that he probably would have been just as great without them. So while I do feel fighters and all athletes should be held accountable for drug use, I won't go so far as to say it erases a win. There were many fighters in the 70's and 80's who were coked up in the ring, Roberto Duran to name one. Not sure how that hurt or helped him, but I've been told that the night of his famous "No Mas" fight with Leonard he was so coked up he couldn't focus so he just quit. Tyson was another steroid abuser, and we'll never know if it was his talent or if it was the roids that gave him the edge.

All that said, I still feel that the Mosley that defeated Margarito can defeat Mayweather. Mayweather is a great fighter, but to the trained eye, his flaws are visible and a good trainer will know how to defeat him. That was the greatness of Eddie Futch when he trained Frazier and Norton, he tought them both how to beat Ali and it worked. Freddie Roach can coach Pacman to a victory over Mayweather IMHO.
Tyson was never on Steroids, ever seen video of him as a teenager? He actually got smaller and smaller as his career went on, not the other way around as most Steroid users go.

Mayweather has an unblemished record and Pacquiao has lost 3 fights, but the difference is that Pacquaio avenged his loss that came later in his career, and the other two losses were back before Pacquiao was ever considered a great fighter (though he was a title-holder) and has become a completely different fighter as his career has progressed. Freddie Roach is the reason for that.

Pac-Man's last loss came to Erik Morales by a pretty close UD (113-115), which he then avenged by TKOing Morales 8 months later. After all, how can you compare a loss at 110 and 113 pounds to a fighter who is currently fighting and dominating at 140 pounds?

Also, compare Mayweather's fights against De La Hoya and Hatton to Pacquaio's fights against the same guys.

It will be a great fight on October 17th (assuming that's the date, Pacquiao is scheduled to fight on that day, Mayweather obviously cannot make an announcement yet), but the fight I really want to see is Edwin Valero against Pacquiao, or Mayorga against Pacquiao.

Manny is just an exciting fighter.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,311,710 times
Default Steriods??

I must have missed some serious headlines. I didnot know Roy Jones Jr and Tyson were using roids. Are you sure? I consider myself an avid ESPN observer and I don't remember any of those big time headlines.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,618,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Tyson was never on Steroids, ever seen video of him as a teenager? He actually got smaller and smaller as his career went on, not the other way around as most Steroid users go.

Mayweather has an unblemished record and Pacquiao has lost 3 fights, but the difference is that Pacquaio avenged his loss that came later in his career, and the other two losses were back before Pacquiao was ever considered a great fighter (though he was a title-holder) and has become a completely different fighter as his career has progressed. Freddie Roach is the reason for that.

Pac-Man's last loss came to Erik Morales by a pretty close UD (113-115), which he then avenged by TKOing Morales 8 months later. After all, how can you compare a loss at 110 and 113 pounds to a fighter who is currently fighting and dominating at 140 pounds?

Also, compare Mayweather's fights against De La Hoya and Hatton to Pacquaio's fights against the same guys.

It will be a great fight on October 17th (assuming that's the date, Pacquiao is scheduled to fight on that day, Mayweather obviously cannot make an announcement yet), but the fight I really want to see is Edwin Valero against Pacquiao, or Mayorga against Pacquiao.

Manny is just an exciting fighter.
You cant compare "common opponents" in boxing because its really apples and oranges. One fighters style may pose a better match up for another and it have nothing to do with that boxers overall skill. If thats the case then Tony Tucker, Lou Savarese, Jesse Furgeson, Mike White and David Bey were all better heavyweights than Mike Tyson because they all fought James Buster Douglas and won. Think so??? En, no.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Not all steroids are designed to make you bigger. You can see a noticable difference in his physique and intensity when he stopped using them. It was no big secret among boxing insiders that Tyson was juiced during his time with Chad Nicholls the pro bodybuilding nutritionist. I've trained people long enough to see the difference in steroid users and non-users.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I must have missed some serious headlines. I didnot know Roy Jones Jr and Tyson were using roids. Are you sure? I consider myself an avid ESPN observer and I don't remember any of those big time headlines.
Jones popped positive for steroids back in 2000. I wouldn't rely on ESPN as a solid source of sports news. They are business to make money. Many of their analysts have routinely made excuses for athletes steroid use as well as drug abuse and other criminal behavior. I ususally turn the sound off when watching ESPN, their commentators suck.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,703,675 times
At what fight or time in Tysons career did you notice the difference in his physique? He's just naturally a strong dude. Of course when he gave up on hard training his look changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not all steroids are designed to make you bigger. You can see a noticable difference in his physique and intensity when he stopped using them. It was no big secret among boxing insiders that Tyson was juiced during his time with Chad Nicholls the pro bodybuilding nutritionist. I've trained people long enough to see the difference in steroid users and non-users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing