Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,101,441 times

Advertisements

IMHO Paul Williams is #2 pound for pound best. What do you guys think the good matchups are between 147-165. I think the only dude that can challenge him would be Bernard Hopkins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 07:04 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
I'd like to see him go up against Mosley, Pavlik, Taylor, and Mayweather. First I'd like to see a rematch with Margarito. Hopkins is too big and strong.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,399,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'd like to see him go up against Mosley, Pavlik, Taylor, and Mayweather. First I'd like to see a rematch with Margarito. Hopkins is too big and strong.
The problem with him fighting Mayweather is that he's not going to bring enough money which is always a factor. Also, while Taylor is a decent fighter I don't think he wants to fight a person of Williams caliber seeing that he is coming off a brutal lost to Froch. He really needs to get another trainer and refocus on boxing....

Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 AM

I don't think Taylor needs another trainer, he already had the best in Manny Stewart. Taylor has just enough speed, skill and power to make a great fight with Williams. Williams is lacking in power and defense, while making up for it in punch volume and combinations. If they offered Floyd a billion dollars I don't think he'd fight Williams. He could not possibly look "pretty" against him.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,935,474 times
To answer the question: Nobody, why take the chance at losing to a "nobody"

ANd for Jermain Taylor, I always thought he was a manufactured champion, to eliminate some of the "attitude" from the division (Bernard, Roy, Tarver, etc), and he is now being exposed because of this. He the boxing version of Kimbo Slice, well maybe that should go to Jeff Lacey, oh well they can slpit it

Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,101,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
To answer the question: Nobody, why take the chance at losing to a "nobody"

ANd for Jermain Taylor, I always thought he was a manufactured champion, to eliminate some of the "attitude" from the division (Bernard, Roy, Tarver, etc), and he is now being exposed because of this. He the boxing version of Kimbo Slice, well maybe that should go to Jeff Lacey, oh well they can slpit it
Calling him a "nobody" is kind of harsh considering he was a world champion and beat Margarito and dominated Winky Wright. I do agree that some may consider him high risk low reward.

Taylor was more than that. He was just beaten by better fighters.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,497,048 times
PW is god.
nobody wants to face him.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Calling him a "nobody" is kind of harsh considering he was a world champion and beat Margarito and dominated Winky Wright. I do agree that some may consider him high risk low reward.

Taylor was more than that. He was just beaten by better fighters.
That why I put it in parenthese (sp), because as far as big money fights go, he is a "nobody", why fight him and take a chance at losing, when you can skate by and fight the same old "somebody" bums and make a killing. And for the record, the Winky Wright he fought, and I take nothing away from PW, but that was not the same winky wright who dominated Mosley and others

And for JT, please give me a notable win?

JT vs. BHOP both fights were controversial, and depending on who you asked BHOP won one if not both

JT vs. Winky, once again another contreversial fight given to JT

JT. vs. Corey Spinks and/or Jeff LAcey, legitimate wins, but look who he was fighting? Spinks was much smaller and afraid to get hit, and Lacey had been exposed by Calzage and lost all of his confidence

JT vs Ouma, maybe the only legitimate victory I will give JT.

JT. vs. Kelly Pavlik, now the exposing begins, he could no longer hide behind the judges score cards, he was getting knocked out.

JT vs Froch , his weakness, and endurance were shown, he was officially EXPOSED!!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:08 AM

Taylor had that Froch fight won, but he got caught. While he isn't a world class fighter in my opinion, he's a solid fighter with decent skill, power and speed. His biggest problem is running out of gas in the late rounds and his chin has failed the test on several occasions. That said, you can't count him out, and to think that Williams would just walk all over him is delusional.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Taylor had that Froch fight won, but he got caught. While he isn't a world class fighter in my opinion, he's a solid fighter with decent skill, power and speed. His biggest problem is running out of gas in the late rounds and his chin has failed the test on several occasions. That said, you can't count him out, and to think that Williams would just walk all over him is delusional.
I disagree, Williams is throwing so many punches, there is no doubt in my mind JT would be gassed by the 8th round from defending, countering, and eating shots. I think another easy one for Williams, a good fight but IMO JT is not coming close to PW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing