Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 PM

313 posts, read 676,893 times

Advertisements

He never goes out on a limb and fights the fights people REALLY want to see (Margarito, Cotto,Mosley)! Honestly I doubt he ever will.

He hasn't earned the right to be named P4P king.

He's a celebrity boxer.

I have no respect for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:22 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
I could be wrong but didn't Mosley dodge Mayweather some years back?? And Margarito is a cheater so he earns NO respect plus he's like 6ft tall so of course Mayweather wouldn't fight him. Probably the only fighter on the list I think Mayweather is truly scared of is Cotto, seems as if he went into retirement as soon as Cotto called him out

Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I could be wrong but didn't Mosley dodge Mayweather some years back?? And Margarito is a cheater so he earns NO respect plus he's like 6ft tall so of course Mayweather wouldn't fight him. Probably the only fighter on the list I think Mayweather is truly scared of is Cotto, seems as if he went into retirement as soon as Cotto called him out
Did Cotto call him out?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Did Cotto call him out?
Sky Sports | Boxing | News | Cotto crushes poor Gomez

he didn't really say "Hey Mayweather needs to fight me next", but it's pretty clear that's who he wanted to fight

Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
His style of fighting is very defensive and "safe", and he carefully selects opponents on his terms as witnessed in his last fight. I would say Roy Jones Jr. deserves the title of the safest boxer. For much of his prime he avoided tough opponents and played it as safe as possible. That said, both of these fighters possess tremendous talent, it's just frustrating to watch them play it safe while others are taking on all comers.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
My opinion is that, especially @ this point in Mayweather's career, he is looking for the most profit with minimum risk. So I think he will only take on a threat if the reward is worth it; for example taking on Manny Pacquio instead of, say Paul Williams or Mosley. Not that Pac man is any less risky, but he would be the biggest draw out of the three at this point.
When you look @ how boxers have been ripped off and exploited over the years, and end up broke and/or having to fight until they are 60, I can't really blame him.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,926 times
How are these fights taking it safe:

Diego Corrales
Jose CAstillo (twice)
Demarcus COrley
Zab Judah
Arturo gatti
Emanuel Agustus
Ricky Hatton
Oscar De La Hoya

etc, etc

These fighters were all pretty hot at the time, and floyd took them on. these fighters were also pretty dangerous. And I agree with whomever said Roy Jones was the safest, no question.

Floyd should not keep taking dangerous fights for little to no money, would it make for good entertainment yes, but look at the Ali and Fraziers of the world, these guys can barely speak a sentence now, and Joe Louis died penniless, they are called Prize Fighters for a reason! Don't insult the sport like say a Chris Byrd and sneak your way into a belt, but also don't be an idiot and get hurt to prove how tough you are, it's not worth it, and Rocky is not real life! In real life Rocky would have had permanent cerrebal brain damage after fighting Drago (maybe even Lang after first fight), and would probably be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, just saying!

Floyd may be a As$ clown, but he is also still a father/provider, and boxing is just his job, not his life

Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post

Diego Corrales
Jose CAstillo (twice)
Demarcus COrley
Zab Judah
Arturo gatti
Emanuel Agustus
Ricky Hatton
Oscar De La Hoya

etc, etc

These fighters were all pretty hot at the time, and floyd took them on. these fighters were also pretty dangerous. And I agree with whomever said Roy Jones was the safest, no question.

Floyd should not keep taking dangerous fights for little to no money, would it make for good entertainment yes, but look at the Ali and Fraziers of the world, these guys can barely speak a sentence now, and Joe Louis died penniless, they are called Prize Fighters for a reason! Don't insult the sport like say a Chris Byrd and sneak your way into a belt, but also don't be an idiot and get hurt to prove how tough you are, it's not worth it, and Rocky is not real life! In real life Rocky would have had permanent cerrebal brain damage after fighting Drago (maybe even Lang after first fight), and would probably be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, just saying!

Floyd may be a As$ clown, but he is also still a father/provider, and boxing is just his job, not his life
Demarcus Corley wears womens underware ! He actually admitts this.

Ricky Hatton!! Dude you can't be serious, did you even watch that fight? It was so lopsided it's not even funny! Ricky Hatton is sooo overrated. When I was watching that fight I was thinking to myself how did Ricky Hatton earn this fight.

Arturo Gotti another waaaaay lopsided fight c'mon brother.

I agree the Oscar de la hoya fight was a step up for him but Oscar is way past his prime plus I don't think he beat him it was a decision and it went toward mayweather (and you know how corrupt the judges have been in past) plus he did not beat De La Hoya convincingly.

You can't be serious with this list.

I stand by my conviction Mayweather IS the safest boxer in the history of the sport!!!

BTW Roy Jones fought John Ruiz a HEAVYWEIGHT!! Did you see that fight? He also fought Felix Trinidad AND he's about to fight Bernard Hopkins!! Roy Jones has BALLS!!

The reason Roy Jones didn't fight compeditive fights when younger is because there was no one in his weight class that good to challenge him.

Last edited by d-iron; 10-15-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-15-2009, 01:58 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post

Diego Corrales
Jose CAstillo (twice)
Demarcus COrley
Zab Judah
Arturo gatti
Emanuel Agustus
Ricky Hatton
Oscar De La Hoya

The only legimate wins of the ones on your list are Corrales, Judah, and once against Castillo. As for the others...Gatti, Hatton, and Augustus are all B or even C class fighters and were way overmatched. I had De La Hoya winning their fight 115-113. Corley is not that great either. Floyd is a defensive fighter and likes to fight guys who move forward so he can peddle away and take pot shots with his speed. He's a very skilled counter puncher and I respect his skill. However, he is picking his own meat (I know a lot of champions do that) and if he wants to declare himself the P4P best, he needs to beat the P4P best, and not just on his terms. Marquez was overmatched and way too small.

He should close out his career with 5 more fights...Mosley, Manny, Cotto, Margarito and Paul Williams. If not Williams then perhaps Berto.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Demarcus Corley wears womens underware ! He actually admitts this.

Ricky Hatton!! Dude you can't be serious, did you even watch that fight? It was so lopsided it's not even funny! Ricky Hatton is sooo overrated. When I was watching that fight I was thinking to myself how did Ricky Hatton earn this fight.

Arturo Gotti another waaaaay lopsided fight c'mon brother.

I agree the Oscar de la hoya fight was a step up for him but Oscar is way past his prime plus I don't think he beat him it was a decision and it went toward mayweather (and you know how corrupt the judges have been in past) plus he did not beat De La Hoya convincingly.

You can't be serious with this list.

I stand by my conviction Mayweather IS the safest boxer in the history of the sport!!!

BTW Roy Jones fought John Ruiz a HEAVYWEIGHT!! Did you see that fight? He also fought Felix Trinidad AND he's about to fight Bernard Hopkins!! Roy Jones has BALLS!!

The reason Roy Jones didn't fight compeditive fights when younger is because there was no one in his weight class that good to challenge him.
really did you watch this fight??? Was this not lopsided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing