Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times

Advertisements

Im a 24 year-old looking into relocating to Montana from Ohio. I will be finishing my degree, so i need someplace with a reasonable college, but im also liking for a location that has ample outdoor activities, as well as, a more laid back city environment . From what I've read, bozeman seems to be a good match but i was hoping those who know the area could answer some questions i have.

-How is the local economy? I would like to continue working fulltime while i finish my degree; my work experience is primarily customer service, but i have some warehousing experience. Are customer service type jobs hard to come by? I would like to stay away from retail and restaurant work, if at all possible, but will take what i can get. I've seen a lot of comments stating local businesses discriminate against students. Is this as large problem?

-Are there any areas i should avoid when looking for apartments? I'd like to stay close to campus.

-What is the dog culture in Bozeman? I have a small (20 lb) Australian Shepherd mix, and am use to being able to grab lunch at a cafe and sit with her on the patio, is this something done? Are there any indoor dog playzone type places (basically indoor dog park/agility) for when the weather gets bad?Do the parks/trails in the city allow dogs? Are there any local dog parks?

-What is the overall atmosphere? Coming from Columbus, i am very use to the college students dominating the local culture. While i can tolerate this (and expect it to some degree) in not really into the party environment. So, considering winters are so long and cold, are there plenty of indoor activities to do in the city (museums, low key concert venues, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 PM

9 posts, read 38,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan56 View Post
Im a 24 year-old looking into relocating to Montana from Ohio. I will be finishing my degree, so i need someplace with a reasonable college, but im also liking for a location that has ample outdoor activities, as well as, a more laid back city environment . From what I've read, bozeman seems to be a good match but i was hoping those who know the area could answer some questions i have.

I think you're right - Bozeman fits all of those requirements.

-How is the local economy? I would like to continue working fulltime while i finish my degree; my work experience is primarily customer service, but i have some warehousing experience. Are customer service type jobs hard to come by? I would like to stay away from retail and restaurant work, if at all possible, but will take what i can get. I've seen a lot of comments stating local businesses discriminate against students. Is this as large problem?

The local economy was hit hard by the recession and the recovery has been slow. But it seems to have recovered. I don't know about your specific types of jobs, but virtually everyone I talk to says their company is busy and there seem to be jobs available. You can check the classified ads in the local paper - the Bozeman Daily Chronicle or I believe the state job service has a web site where you can check job offerings.

I've never heard complaints about discriminating against students. Even if that were an issue, I doubt a 24 year old would have that problem (probably more related to maturity than scholastic status)

-Are there any areas i should avoid when looking for apartments? I'd like to stay close to campus.

Not really. Some areas are largely student housing, and you'll find that those places are a little louder on Friday and Saturday nights but you can probably identify those places without anyone telling you where they are if you're looking around at housing.

-What is the dog culture in Bozeman? I have a small (20 lb) Australian Shepherd mix, and am use to being able to grab lunch at a cafe and sit with her on the patio, is this something done? Are there any indoor dog playzone type places (basically indoor dog park/agility) for when the weather gets bad?Do the parks/trails in the city allow dogs? Are there any local dog parks?

Sometimes it seems like there are more dogs than people here. I think Bozeman is very dog friendly (we have 2 dogs). I don't know what is around for indoor dog parks. I think all parks/trails allow dogs. Officially, most do not allow them off-leash but enforcement of leash requirements is pretty lax in many of them. There are several parks specifically for dogs off-leash.

-What is the overall atmosphere? Coming from Columbus, i am very use to the college students dominating the local culture. While i can tolerate this (and expect it to some degree) in not really into the party environment. So, considering winters are so long and cold, are there plenty of indoor activities to do in the city (museums, low key concert venues, etc)?
Yes, there are quite a few indoor activities (concerts, museums, sporting events), but most people like it here for the outdoor recreation - including winter (ice skating, skiing, etc.). Compared to Columbus I'd guess we have fewer of those type activities. Compared to most 50k cities in the rockies, I'd say we have more than typical.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,003,307 times
I know several people from the Buckeye state who moved to Bozeman and love it here.

The economy is improving, and there are many types of businesses, including manufacturing and high tech.

There are many dog owners in this town, and trails to walk dogs. Keep your dog on a leash in town, even on the trails. Here is the city link for off-leash parks.
City of Bozeman - Off-Leash Parks

Many of the business owners here are graduates of MSU. The city relies on Montana State University and its students and employees as customers and what they bring to the community in many ways. Don't pay attention to the negative talk.

Here are some links for employment in Bozeman:
http://jobs.mt.gov/ sign up for the Bozeman job section with a log in and password, enter your skills and you can get job openings emailed to you
Jobs - Bozeman Daily Chronicle
Montana State University - Jobs at Montana State University
There is more info if you are a Montana State student regarding employment as a student, so be sure to check that out with the university.

I hope that helps.
Bozeman is a great place to live, go to school, and have a family (and a dog).

H.I.
Bozeman

Old 10-12-2013, 04:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times

-How is the local economy? I would like to continue working fulltime while i finish my degree; my work experience is primarily customer service, but i have some warehousing experience. Are customer service type jobs hard to come by? I would like to stay away from retail and restaurant work, if at all possible, but will take what i can get. I've seen a lot of comments stating local businesses discriminate against students. Is this as large problem? Most of the work is retail and restaurant work and they discriminate against students. Try to get a job on campus. They will work with your schedule and you'll be in good company with other students.

-Are there any areas i should avoid when looking for apartments? I'd like to stay close to campus. There really aren't any bad neighborhoods to rent and all the areas near campus are pretty nice.

-What is the dog culture in Bozeman? I have a small (20 lb) Australian Shepherd mix, and am use to being able to grab lunch at a cafe and sit with her on the patio, is this something done? Are there any indoor dog playzone type places (basically indoor dog park/agility) for when the weather gets bad?Do the parks/trails in the city allow dogs? Are there any local dog parks? Bozeman is pretty dog friendly but I'm not aware of any indoor dog parks.

-What is the overall atmosphere? Coming from Columbus, i am very use to the college students dominating the local culture. While i can tolerate this (and expect it to some degree) in not really into the party environment. So, considering winters are so long and cold, are there plenty of indoor activities to do in the city (museums, low key concert venues, etc)? Even though the college is the lifeblood of the town, the residents seem to resent students. I was in college in Bozeman from 2000 to 2005 and I found the locals to be very anti-student. Trying to find part time work was almost impossible when they found out I was a student and trying to find a rental was tough. As far as indoor venues there is the Museum of the Rockies, the Emerson Cultural Center that has low-key concerts, the Willson Auditorium with symphonies, and the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse with sporting events and concerts.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:04 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
Costco is recognized for being an excellent employer & there is one in Bozeman.
Hotels commonly hire college students as night front desk/auditors

There really are no cities in Montana, just bigger small towns. It is very rural.

You will need to slow down. Montana is not a frantic place.

Montana is very rural. It is family friendly and dog friendly.

We have had visitors from thee Ohio State that were always amazed by the night sky.

Please note--Bozeman is a place where the cost of living/price of housing for many people exceeds their earning capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman