Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times

Advertisements

Just returned home from a two-week trip to WY/MT/ID. There was a specific purpose for this particular trip...to see how I would do in the winters. If I am seriously considering retiring in the northern Rockies, then I need to see if I can endure the winters.

Bozeman was on my list. The town has a lot going for it. I need not regurgitate those qualities again. We all know what they are. I found the weather to not be a problem for me. The cold was not so bad...unless the wind was blowing. Then, the cold went right through you. Otherwise, it didn't really feel all that cold.

However, I've decided based on this trip that Bozeman is not the place for me. The place is just too hectic. One particular incident disturbed me a little bit. Usually, when in MT, I have noticed that car/truck drivers are very, very considerate and patient. It was so refreshing to experience people being kind to each other. One night last week, as I was waiting outside the Costco entrance to meet up with a lady friend for a dinner out, I noticed more than a few cars roaring through the parking lot. Such a hurry, with no regard to those pushing carts are walking into the store. With the icy conditions, I knew that pedestrians were at risk. Cars can't stop that fast . . . or maybe these driver are really that good?

Bozeman is a great town. Just not for me. I'm looking for a bit of a slower pace in my retirement. Now Three Forks? Yeah, that's more to my liking. (And my lady friend lives on a ranch a few miles north of Three Forks. Hmmm?)

- - - - -

I don't intend to offend anyone, but feel that those who have been following my research deserve feedback. Maybe those aggressive drivers were just immature students from the university. I can understand and accept that. We were all young once, and some, (or most), of us drove irresponsibly during those days. Guess I've just passed that phase and want something a little slower paced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
You judge Bozeman from the drivers at Costco the week before Christmas? Okay.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:17 PM

387 posts, read 554,658 times
I would agree with that - not the best time of year to make an assessment of a town - of the best place. For example, there are no Costco stores in surrounding communities (e.g. Butte, Big Timber), so people from those places come to Bozeman to do their shopping. The people you noticed might not even be from this county!

On the other hand, Bozeman is a much busier place than many other towns in Montana, and it is only growing. So, if you want a slow, rural, relaxed pace, a place like Three Forks or Manhattan or Big Timber might be more to your liking.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:21 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Just returned home from a two-week trip to WY/MT/ID. There was a specific purpose for this particular trip...to see how I would do in the winters. If I am seriously considering retiring in the northern Rockies, then I need to see if I can endure the winters.

Bozeman was on my list. The town has a lot going for it. I need not regurgitate those qualities again. We all know what they are. I found the weather to not be a problem for me. The cold was not so bad...unless the wind was blowing. Then, the cold went right through you. Otherwise, it didn't really feel all that cold.

However, I've decided based on this trip that Bozeman is not the place for me. The place is just too hectic. One particular incident disturbed me a little bit. Usually, when in MT, I have noticed that car/truck drivers are very, very considerate and patient. It was so refreshing to experience people being kind to each other. One night last week, as I was waiting outside the Costco entrance to meet up with a lady friend for a dinner out, I noticed more than a few cars roaring through the parking lot. Such a hurry, with no regard to those pushing carts are walking into the store. With the icy conditions, I knew that pedestrians were at risk. Cars can't stop that fast . . . or maybe these driver are really that good?

Bozeman is a great town. Just not for me. I'm looking for a bit of a slower pace in my retirement. Now Three Forks? Yeah, that's more to my liking. (And my lady friend lives on a ranch a few miles north of Three Forks. Hmmm?)

- - - - -

I don't intend to offend anyone, but feel that those who have been following my research deserve feedback. Maybe those aggressive drivers were just immature students from the university. I can understand and accept that. We were all young once, and some, (or most), of us drove irresponsibly during those days. Guess I've just passed that phase and want something a little slower paced.
I used to dread visits to Costco. The city "planners" at the time decided not to widen north 19th for several years even though that area exploded. At least when you went the streets were wider to accommodate the traffic. I found Bozeman drivers to be the opposite of fast paced and hectic. At the time I was there people seemed to drive well under the speed limit. That being said, you might consider some of the surrounding towns. I haven't spent much time in Three Forks but it might be nice. Headwaters State Park is a neat place.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:23 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Don't feel bad Sheldon Cooper didn't like it either lol

Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM

46 posts, read 75,761 times
I am in Bozeman right now holed up at the Royal 7 motel. The only one I could find cheap enough for an extended stay. I love it here but am afraid I'm going to have to seek housing elsewhere. There's just not much to be had that hasn't already been snatched up by college students. I'm speaking of rentals of course. The rents are inflated due to the recent growth and property management geeks have taken over nearly everything. It's a shame too.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I like Bozeman too, but agree, I can't justify living there, based on the cost. Consider Livngston, Reed Point, Laurel, Townsend, Whitehall...

Old 02-10-2014, 12:57 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,283 times
Default The myth of unaffordable Bozeman

bozeman apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

a couple of dozen listings here between 600-1000 per month-many are outside of Bozeman, but many are within Bozeman

Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,688 times
Try bozeman houses with dog under $1300 and not elbow-to-elbow

Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Have a friend that I was in the navy with, not sure if she was from Bozeman or Billings. she switched from navy to air force and was a comer but married a dail. she had a biracial son who played football. we were really good friends but lost contact over the years. would love to find her again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Bozeman