Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:33 PM

21 posts, read 99,888 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I (we're middle-aged) plan on moving to the Melbourne area and our first choice of housing is a single-family home on 1/2 - 1 acre. We noticed a whole bunch of inexpensive houses on the other side of Rt. 95, which, on Google maps, looks like Golden Gate Estates down in Naples--that is, a community which was laid out, then the developers went bankrupt and now most of it is undeveloped.

It is west of DeGroot and north of the Melbourne-Tillman canal. On Wikipedia it is omniously referred to as "The Compound". Can anyone give me any information about this area? I know that, in Golden Gate, there is a lot of property crime because so many houses are uninhabited (they've been stripped of everything that could be carried away). Is this the case in this area? I'm guessing there's no cable service out there...

We're also looking east of 95 (we prefer closer to the ocean, but they all seem to be those cookie-cutter neighborhoods with all the houses crammed in on small lots. (We're not ruling that out, however.)

Any info is greatly appreciated; thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:06 AM

25 posts, read 86,345 times
I live out in the compound . We have cable . Most of the houses are fine and alot of them were built in the 2000s . Of course theres a few missing the outside AC units ( copper) . But its pretty nice out here and there are alot families with children and middle age couples. What we love about out here is that you can do whatever you want out here ( within reason) .

Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. How far in (or out) are you? In the more densely populated part or out where the properties are spaced farther apart & many lots aren't built on? Are the roads out there dirt?

Also, by "whatever you want", what kinds of activities do you mean?

Sorry for all the questions! We're planning a trip down there at some point to check some areas out, but we're trying to get an idea of where we'd like to explore since we won't have that much time.

thanks again!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 PM

35 posts, read 91,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TessieB View Post
My boyfriend and I (we're middle-aged) plan on moving to the Melbourne area and our first choice of housing is a single-family home on 1/2 - 1 acre. We noticed a whole bunch of inexpensive houses on the other side of Rt. 95, which, on Google maps, looks like Golden Gate Estates down in Naples--that is, a community which was laid out, then the developers went bankrupt and now most of it is undeveloped.

It is west of DeGroot and north of the Melbourne-Tillman canal. On Wikipedia it is omniously referred to as "The Compound". Can anyone give me any information about this area? I know that, in Golden Gate, there is a lot of property crime because so many houses are uninhabited (they've been stripped of everything that could be carried away). Is this the case in this area? I'm guessing there's no cable service out there...

We're also looking east of 95 (we prefer closer to the ocean, but they all seem to be those cookie-cutter neighborhoods with all the houses crammed in on small lots. (We're not ruling that out, however.)

Any info is greatly appreciated; thanks!
Most of the homes are cookie cutter in Florida.....but west of 95 (in my opinion) is nicer ...but it really depends on the area you are in ....not weather it is east or west of 95 I think

Old 04-05-2011, 07:23 PM

163 posts, read 449,970 times
These people arent telling you what you need to know.

The Compound basically has 0 houses, just streets laid out. The few houses that are "in" the Compound arent really in the compound but right on the fringe.

The compound, back in the 80s went bankrupt and has been untouched ever since. There are roads, but thats it, the entire area is over grown. It really is just a place for rednecks to drive dirtbikes and teens to have parties. At one time, I would go out there everyday for almost a year and never once saw any police patroling. Its a very strange area, in the 80s after it went bankrupt, many drug smugglers landed their planes out there either to refuel or drop off supplies.

One time when a friend and I were out there we saw a lot of unmarked white vans with huge antennas. 15 minutes later we came across a huge RV with "Northrup Grummand" on one side of the RV and "US Government" on the other. We backtracked real quick and about a mile in to the compound we came across these:

They dont look that big, but Im 6'2" and they were easily a foot taller than me.
Every time I go to the wikipedia site and try to say something about these things, and that there may be some type of government testing going on out there, my entry is quickly deleted.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM

Interesting! Thanks for the feedback & pics. It sounds very similar to Golden Gate Estates down in Naples, but looks even more desolate. I'd like to know what those objects are, too!

Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the reply.

How far in (or out) are you? Im about 5 Minutes from Publix and Bayside Highschool.

In the more densely populated part or out where the properties are spaced farther apart & many lots aren't built on? Are the roads out there dirt? Well the compound itself has no house but theres house on the outskirts. Some are dirt some are roads. The street coming into my street are bad. So bad people drive on the side of the road.

Also, by "whatever you want", what kinds of activities do you mean?

Well I live by like 10 cops . So Nothing to crazy.lol. The Cops patrol the area out in the compound and they do drills out there. Theres alot of golf carts and families. You can garden or hang out or whatever you want to.

Sorry for all the questions! We're planning a trip down there at some point to check some areas out, but we're trying to get an idea of where we'd like to explore since we won't have that much time.

thanks again!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:37 AM

134 posts, read 302,507 times
The compound?

A little bit happy, a little bit sad,
Of Lily the Pink and her medicinal compound,
And how it slowly drove her to the bad.

Uncle Ebenezer, thought he was Julius Caesar.
So they put him in a home.
And then they gave him medicinal compound,
And now he's Emperor of Rome.

We'll drink a drink a drink
To Lily the pink the pink the pink
The savior of [the savior of] the human race.
She invented medicinal compound.
Most efficacious in every case.

Johnny Hammer had a t-t-terrible s-s-stammer.
He could b-barely say a word.
So they gave him medicinal compound,
And now he's seen, but never heard.

And Freddie Clinger, the opera singer,
Who could break glasses with his voice they said.
So on his tonsils he rubbed medicinal compound,
And now they break glasses over his head.

And Mr. Frears, who had sticky out ears.
And it made him awful shy.
So they gave him medicinal compound,
And now he's learning how to fly.

And Uncle Paul, he was very small. He
Was the shortest man in town.
So on his body he rubbed medicinal compound,
And now he's six foot, but it's underground.

Lily died and went up to heaven.
Oh, the church bells they did ring.
She took with her medicinal compound.
Hark the herald angels sing.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Have you looked at the area yet on google map?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: