Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,987 times

Advertisements

We've lived here since October '09 and signed a 1 year lease at that time. One year later we signed another lease. When that second one expired neither the property management office nor myself requested a renewal. Per the lease that makes it a month to month rental. We received an email last month from property management office that the owners of the house are going to put it up for sale. They didn't tell us when but insisted we had time and not to worry. Now I receive and email yesterday stating it is now on the market and they'll be putting a lockbox on the door today. And that they will try to give a 24 hr notice prior to showing and this could include weekends and evenings because they don't want to keep owner from selling. Here's my questions....Is that an acceptable notice on their part?
My wife and I work til 5;30-6:00pm and our two children(14-12) are home by themselves after school until we get home. I asked property mgmt to not show from 2-6 because of this and was told that I've been given notice that this was coming down the pipe. So I'm supposed to make my kids leave if people come to see house(per mgmt). Are they allowed to do that? Our lease doesn't state anything about giving notice to move out if month to month. We're frantically looking and if we find something is 2-3 weeks notice enough? And should property management offer me some kind of assistance since I wasn't financially prepared to have to spend close to $2200 for deposit and moving expenses since she told me once house sells I'll have no more than 30 days to vacate? Thanks for any advise you can give...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
It sounds like they're doing everything legally as far as giving you notice.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
You are on a month-to-month rental ... which, by definition, gives you the flexibility to move at virtually anytime without giving the owner notice. This apparently seemed more acceptable to you than seeking a longer lease ... and the owner agreed - because he also had greater flexibility in mind.

Now, you are upset, because the owner, who has no more obligation to you than your month-to-month rental, wants to dispose of his property (?) Honestly, what did/do you expect? -- Suppose you owned the property and needed/wanted to sell it under similar circumstances. Then, a month after advising your renters of your plans to sell, they had still not even made other plans ... and wanted you to limit showings to 9-2 ... after giving more than 24-hours notice (in spite of a really tough housing market)?

Your inconvenience is unfortunate, but, that's part of a month-to-month rental situation. The handwriting is on the wall --- You have more flexibility than the owner does with his selling options. It's time to get busy and find someplace else to live.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,592 times
You should've made a move when the notice was given to you. This is a sad thing or maybe traumatic for the kids but maybe you can ask some time from the owner so that you'll be able to find another place to live.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Best you can do is to agree to showings that do not put you out and refuse the ones with too short notice or at inconvenient times. The property management company is not going to physically come out and force you to show a short notice or crazy hour showing. Be reasonable. Start looking for a new place and move when you find it. There's a good chance you'll like your new place more than the one you're in.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:50 AM

350 posts, read 477,744 times
Quote:

Showing Schedule

• Before prospective buyers purchase the house, they usually want to see it. They enter the house and become an inconvenience to the tenant. When the tenant pays rent, he gets the right for quiet enjoyment of the house and can stop the landlord, realtors and prospective buyers from entering the property. The landlord or his agent needs to give the tenant 24 hours' notice and get his consent before showing the property.

Showing Accommodation

• Even when the landlord or his agent gets the tenant's consent to show the property, the tenant does not have to do anything to help with the showing. The landlord can't make the tenant leave the house or even the room during a showing, because the tenant has the right to stay and go about his business. If the landlord insists on your cooperation, you may be able to negotiate a reduction in rent in exchange for showing privileges. After all, you are giving up some of your right to quiet enjoyment of the house.

Read more: Tenant Rights When a House Is Being Sold | eHow.com Tenant Rights When a House Is Being Sold | eHow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County