Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 11,235 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Thank you first to everyone and no one in particular for the vast wealth of information I've been able to glean from this forum. I've lurked for several months and can't believe how much there is on here. I have typed several variations of this into the search box in hopes of not bothering people or duplicating a thread that already exists, but if I managed to overlook it, kindly redirect me there please and don't let me waste your time!

That said, most of the relocation-centered or housing-seeking threads I see on here seem to come from more established couples with children who are concerned with schooling, more bedrooms, etc. A little background: I'm 24, he's 28, we're engaged, currently in upstate NY. I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Florida in the Tampa area so am not entirely unfamiliar with the Brevard area, and frequented the Space Coast growing up on countless surf road trips (no waves to be had on lake Mexico as we say!) I relocated up north for school where I met the guy, got my RN/BSN, and, due to the crappy job market, accepted a job in upstate to get my one year of experience, which is rapidly coming in about a month. It has been a good "character building" experience and I met my wonderful fiance while here but I am ready to come back to a warmer climate and miss surfing so bad my heart aches daily. I have also been led to believe by various experts I trust that the Florida job market for RNs is quite stellar.

As I said, I'm an RN with a bachelor's, and am an obsessive planner/researcher so would never move without a job offer. I'm waiting on my Florida licensure in the mail, all forms/steps completed. I am zeroing in on Holmes Regional/the Healthfirst system in general as they seem pretty top-notch. (Bonus: any tips/info/gossip on area hospitals greatly appreciated!)

Since I'm moving to the area to be near the coast, hopefully have a job in Melbourne/Viera, and plan on surfing as much as possible, we'd like to live as close to or ON the beach. I know this may be difficult with a family and more housing needs but for a childless young couple (who is, mind you, used to NYC-standard-shoebox-living), it is impossible? I have been furiously scouring craigslist with some encouraging results in Satellite Beach/Indiatlantic but was wondering if anyone had any info or tips on where or how to go about seeking an average, modest, 2 bedroomish rental on the coast. I know something right ON A1A would be hard but a few blocks away would be very desirable. I realize this would be a commute to the mainland/work but am ok with it. Any areas in particular, websites, realtors, services, anything that anyone could suggest? Likely in July or August, or possibly early Fall, I will come down, stay with my folks on the Gulf, and make a 2-day or so trek out there to rent something after seeing a few places. So I want to prepare as much as possible! We of course would not make final steps to move until my fiance has also secured some type of work. He works in hospital admin/communications so I'm hoping he can at least find something full-time if not highly-paying and advance in a few years.

Most of the condos or apts I see on the beach are for sale. Any tips on rentals? We have one under-15 pound dog, which I know some people take issue with but I hope in the end shouldn't be impossible as it's not like he's a massive threatening Rottweiler.

Thank you all so much again,

sh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
[quote=sea_horsey;28960750]Hello everyone,

Thank you first to everyone and no one in particular for the vast wealth of information I've been able to glean from this forum. I've lurked for several months and can't believe how much there is on here. I have typed several variations of this into the search box in hopes of not bothering people or duplicating a thread that already exists, but if I managed to overlook it, kindly redirect me there please and don't let me waste your time!

That said, most of the relocation-centered or housing-seeking threads I see on here seem to come from more established couples with children who are concerned with schooling, more bedrooms, etc. A little background: I'm 24, he's 28, we're engaged, currently in upstate NY. I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Florida in the Tampa area so am not entirely unfamiliar with the Brevard area, and frequented the Space Coast growing up on countless surf road trips (no waves to be had on lake Mexico as we say!) I relocated up north for school where I met the guy, got my RN/BSN, and, due to the crappy job market, accepted a job in upstate to get my one year of experience, which is rapidly coming in about a month. It has been a good "character building" experience and I met my wonderful fiance while here but I am ready to come back to a warmer climate and miss surfing so bad my heart aches daily. I have also been led to believe by various experts I trust that the Florida job market for RNs is quite stellar.

As I said, I'm an RN with a bachelor's, and am an obsessive planner/researcher so would never move without a job offer. I'm waiting on my Florida licensure in the mail, all forms/steps completed. I am zeroing in on Holmes Regional/the Healthfirst system in general as they seem pretty top-notch. (Bonus: any tips/info/gossip on area hospitals greatly appreciated!)

Since I'm moving to the area to be near the coast, hopefully have a job in Melbourne/Viera, and plan on surfing as much as possible, we'd like to live as close to or ON the beach. I know this may be difficult with a family and more housing needs but for a childless young couple (who is, mind you, used to NYC-standard-shoebox-living), it is impossible? I have been furiously scouring craigslist with some encouraging results in Satellite Beach/Indiatlantic but was wondering if anyone had any info or tips on where or how to go about seeking an average, modest, 2 bedroomish rental on the coast. I know something right ON A1A would be hard but a few blocks away would be very desirable. I realize this would be a commute to the mainland/work but am ok with it. Any areas in particular, websites, realtors, services, anything that anyone could suggest? Likely in July or August, or possibly early Fall, I will come down, stay with my folks on the Gulf, and make a 2-day or so trek out there to rent something after seeing a few places. So I want to prepare as much as possible! We of course would not make final steps to move until my fiance has also secured some type of work. He works in hospital admin/communications so I'm hoping he can at least find something full-time if not highly-paying and advance in a few years.

Most of the condos or apts I see on the beach are for sale. Any tips on rentals? We have one under-15 pound dog, which I know some people take issue with but I hope in the end shouldn't be impossible as it's not like he's a massive threatening Rottweiler.

Thank you all so much again,

Try this . Brevard MLS Use the public access. You can look for rentals in all of the beach towns. Seems to be quite a few condos and the price is surprising on most. Many allow dogs with restrictions about size etc.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Finding a rental on/near the beach is not really a problem ... if you are willing/able to pay for it. Likewise, pets are not generally a problem under most HOA regulations (typically 30 lbs), however, many individual owners w/rentals will require a large pet deposit or decline pets altogether).

Satellite Beach is a low-traffic beach area with many economical rentals within 1-2 blocks (or on) the beach.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Thank you both so much for the information!!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
What is your monthly rental budget? I also love Satellite Beach and Indian Harbor Beach.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 PM

I was hoping to find something similar in price, as from what I have seen nurse wages in Brevard are similar to the area of upstate NY we are in. However, this information has been notoriously difficult to find! (Even on this forum!) We pay 1000 now, I think 1200 would likely be the around maximum we could afford allowing for the very likely possibility my fiance starts off making low wages. Again, not expecting to find a mansion for this price, just a clean, small apartment. This is close to what we pay now with winter utilities and what not. I don't know if most places include central AC in Florida as I imagine that is a huge contributor to utility costs.

Possible, you think? I really love both Satellite and Indiatlantic.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
I went to Brevard MLS > Public MLS Search > Rentals and put in area 381-North Satellite Beach and 382-Satellite Beach/Indian Harbour Beach and searched. THe first unit that was shown was $900 and it's across the street from the beach. I used to live about 1/2 mile north of there and it's a nice area.

The Unit is 135 E COLONIAL CT *Unit#* 62,*INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH,*FL. According to the map it looks like an apartment complex. I don't know what they are like, but if they are clean and well maintained, you can't go too wrong in the area.

I didn't look at the details of others matches.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks so much. This is incredibly helpful! I dearly appreciate this info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County