Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM

34 posts, read 62,186 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm looking for a few real world examples. We're moving to the area and having a hard time budgeting for a home with this huge unknown in the equation. Every time I try to research it I end up more confused. I realize there are many variables but for those of you that live beachside, could you please share how much you pay for home insurance. The numbers I get from research vary so greatly they are practically useless. Please help...thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
On the actual water or not?

Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
On the actual water or not?

Both if you know...or specify if you don't. Some of the houses with canal in the back yard hit the high end of my budget, so the price of the insurance will determine where we end up. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
Both if you know...or specify if you don't. Some of the houses with canal in the back yard hit the high end of my budget, so the price of the insurance will determine where we end up. Thanks!
Direct water frontage will significantly increase your rates since much of it is in the high-risk flood zone. I've heard of $17-18K on nice homes on the intercoastal. I also know of moderate homes not on the water, but on the peninsula with $6K insurance.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
it depends on the FEMA flood map for that property. Homes near the water generally have a higher FEME required elevation...but this also can include landlocked homes that are 1-2 blocks from the water.

To determine flood insurance you need to know 3 basic things:
1) the FEMA flood zone for the exact part of the land that the home is built upon (flood zone could possibly be different in a back corner of the land, for example). Get from FEMA flood maps. Flood zone examples: V, A, AE, X, A10

2) the FEMA required Base Flood Elevation (BFE) for the portion of the lot where the home sites. For example, 10 feet. This means the home's lowest living floor must be 10 feet elevation above sea level, or higher. Get from FEMA flood map. Sample FEMA required BFEs: 10ft, 11ft, 12ft, 13ft, 15ft.

3) the actual elevation of lowest floor of living for the home. A surveyor measures and puts this on the official document called the Elevation Certificate. If it's a 2 story with the lower area designated 'non living", then the top floor is deemed the lowest living area. sample elevation certificate..document for actual lowest floor living: 14.5', 11'.

If the home's actual elevation is "at or above" FEMA's required evevation, then insurance generally is cheaper. If the home is "below" FEMA's required elevation, the insurance is likely to be sky high.

There is also the issue of V-Zones. These are usually direct beach front or direct bayfront or close to beach/bay. V means velocity and it means FEMA maps designate that 4' of waves could occur on this property in a storm event. There are certain additional building requirements for homes in V zones.

It's possible to have a direct waterfront home (canal, etc) with very low flood insurance rates if the actual elevation is well above BFE and if home is built to FEMA specs, etc. Flood insurance is possible to be under $500 for such home. Don't automatically assume flood insurance will be high if waterfront. If might be or might not be.

You must get an insurance quote for every single home you are considering. You need to know the actual elevation (from elevation certificate) to get the quote. The insurance agent will look up flood zone and required BFE based on the address.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
We've been in oceanfront condos over the past 10+ years, so the specific numbers are irrelevant (The overall condo insurance went up about 30-40% in 2004-2005 following the last round of storms).

Beyond the high cost of flood insurance, you need to watch-out for per event, storm-related deductibles. One can easily wind-up paying 3-4% of the ENTIRE value of the property in deductibles, before the insurance kicks-in. Except for a catastrophic event, it's almost like being self-insured.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Take a peek at retinkered FEMA flood zone maps | wtsp.com

Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Beyond the high cost of flood insurance, you need to watch-out for per event, storm-related deductibles. One can easily wind-up paying 3-4% of the ENTIRE value of the property in deductibles, before the insurance kicks-in. Except for a catastrophic event, it's almost like being self-insured.
Very good point. 2% hurricane deductibles are pretty much the norm now.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 AM

Thanks, sware2cod...very helpful info. I can't imagine there are many (if any) beachside homes that are above 10ft elevation. We drove around the majority of the area and didn't notice a single house that looked like it had be raised up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You must get an insurance quote for every single home you are considering. You need to know the actual elevation (from elevation certificate) to get the quote. The insurance agent will look up flood zone and required BFE based on the address.
How do I get to see this elevation certificate? Do real estate agents have this information? I've also been told that the difference between insurance companies can sometimes be double so it's important to shop around. Is this true? How can I "shop around" for insurance if I'm considering 5-10 different properties.

Also, are the only insurance companies willing to insure these properties the ones that work through the national flood insurance program?

Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM

Also, does anyone know how accurate the national flood insurance site is? For example sometimes it will give an actual estimate, sometimes it doesn't...not sure why. I picked a random house that was for sale on Zillow in Indiatlantic and put in the address. It was a moderate to low risk and the estimated premium was only $129-$460. See link below. I thought that seemed low. However, this is just flood correct? And my regular home insurance won't cover flood correct? Is hurricane insurance included with my regular home insurance?

This is what always happens as soon as I start researching it gets complicated. It shouldn't be so difficult to figure this out.

Error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County