Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:37 PM

24 posts, read 138,919 times

Advertisements

MY Dh is considering a job in Rockledge. We are currently live in Southeaster NC. We have three girls 7and under. We homeschool, so schools are not as important. Would 65K be a decent salary in that area for a family. We would probably want to rent a house for a while,before we consider buying. I would like info on living in the area such as housing, groceries, taxes, the people etc. The good and bad. Any info is appreciated.

thanks
Brandie

Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 PM

24 posts, read 138,919 times
Doesn't anyone have any info on Rockledge?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,443 times
Exclamation re:living in Rockledge

As a resident of 23 years (all my life basically), I can tell you alot about this town. 65k would be good for this town, houses are for rent all the time, and for sale of course. Crime is virtually nonexistent I must say, most of it happens in the next town over, Cocoa. I don't know much about taxes persay, property taxes are being worked on by the legislature, maybe they'll give us all a break hehe We have a 6 cent sales tax that I hope never goes up, wishful thinking for us all. Grocery shopping is limited to Publix, Walgreens, or CVS. Walmart moved out and up, but it's only 15 minutes to either one around, what with Viera right next door. People are nice and friendly, we're a small yet big town, we love our football and sports around here, especially since we won the state championship a few years back (and I just so happened to graduate that year as well). We're close to 2 major highways, have a golf club, and a wonderful riverside road with beautiful houses and one hell of a nice view I must say. Sorry no one took the liberty to say all this, I just happened across this by random chance hehe, thought I'd say something about us. Hope this helps

Old 06-20-2007, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 21,656 times
Hi Can anyone tell me about Rockledge schools? How far is shopping in Viera like a Walmart?Target?Movies? etc Also are there any synagogues? We have seen the house prices are pretty good there and we are from a small town in New England and don't want to move to a huge town down in Florida. We need to relocate due to our son's health problems he needs a warm climate free of ice and snow.
Thank you and look forward to your replys and help
Boston Mommy

Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 AM

33 posts, read 284,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonmommy View Post
Hi Can anyone tell me about Rockledge schools? How far is shopping in Viera like a Walmart?Target?Movies? etc Also are there any synagogues? We have seen the house prices are pretty good there and we are from a small town in New England and don't want to move to a huge town down in Florida. We need to relocate due to our son's health problems he needs a warm climate free of ice and snow.
Thank you and look forward to your replys and help
Boston Mommy
This is to answer the inital posters questions and yours..

Rockledge is north of Melbourne in Brevard County.. I lived in Melbourne for awhile and went from Rockledge from time to time. There are lots of houses for rent - I looked at many houses, most brand new, looking to rent because the housing prices are so affordable. But overall, there isn't much to do. If memory serves there's a Wal-Mart Supercenter but no Target.. like I said home prices are good.. Rockledge is far from huge though. It's a really tiny suburb north of the metro-area. It's about a 30-min drive from the edge of Melbourne up to Rockledge, and you have to drive through the disasterous excuse of a city known as Cocoa to get there.

Groceries are the norm.. for Florida, anyway. Reasonable. Life in general is busy, and there are some bad parts of town.. Cocoa crime is migrating North, it would seem.. people are alright and friendly, as they are for most of Florida. I personally didn't like the town.. lot's of urban sprawl and they're building it up quite extensively.

Rockledge is still close enough to other cities that are livable, like Titusville, to live there and commute.. but if it were me it'd be one of the last places I'd tak a job, heh.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 22,911 times
Hi BostonMommy

Veira is about 10-20 drive south of rockledge depending on what are you are living in. You don't have to drive through cocoa (high crime area) to get to veira from rocklege, cocoa is north of rockledge.

Veira has a synagogue and I believe there is one in Suntree (mere minutes from Veira & Rockledge), super walmart, super target, brand new outside mall (baby gap, old navy) with a staduim seating movie theater, also has resturants.
The brevard zoo is in Veira on the main road (wickham road) along with all kinds of shopping center, doctors offices and I believe there is at least one day spa on wickham too. Wickham connect to roads that run right through Rockledge. all these cities/towns are right next to each other.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,326 times
Default Rockledge is the worst if you have children

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3girls View Post
MY Dh is considering a job in Rockledge. We are currently live in Southeaster NC. We have three girls 7and under. We homeschool, so schools are not as important. Would 65K be a decent salary in that area for a family. We would probably want to rent a house for a while,before we consider buying. I would like info on living in the area such as housing, groceries, taxes, the people etc. The good and bad. Any info is appreciated.

thanks
Brandie

Any decent home is by Viera, and 200k at a minimum. But your children will be put in a segregated school where all less than desirable in Cocoa, are bused into Rockledge Schools. My child entered at 5th grade and even thought she graduated, it ruined her. She is white and blonde and was terrorized by the blacks, bused in from Cocoa. She had to spend 1 high school year at home, it is that bad. STAY AWAY, if you value your children, and make sure your in Viera school district lines.
Rockledge goes from 200+k homes in the south, next to Viera to drugs, prostitution and shootings, crime, and ghettos to the north. I have been given jury duty every year, as thats how bad crime and homicides are in Florida, compaired to the Midwest. And go to FDLE's website and see how many sex offenders are in the zipcode you look at, before you even rent. Its insane here!!
9 YEARS OF ADVISE, FROM THE MIDWEST, SO i KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.
GOD BLESS.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:50 PM

119 posts, read 610,575 times
Rockledge seems like a quiet town to me. If anything sucks about it, there's not much to do. I am a blue-eyed, blonde white girl in Cocoa proper and "the blacks" don't "terrorize" me.

haha, even though I do not like living on the Space Coast, I feel compelled to defend Cocoa.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 37,197 times
Thumbs up Living in Rockledge

Hello, I've lived in Viera for 4 years. My home is on the line of Rockledge. I believe it is a great place to be. I do have 3 children who attend a private school. Prior to this I lived in Rockledge. Shopping is close. The Avenues (shopping) is only 15-20 mins thru traffic. Dining is great.
I certainly agree the area has "spots" where you may feel the need to lock your doors while driving, most towns have this. Cocoa has more of a criminal record yet the child predators can live in every town depending on the charge. We do have a local paper (Guardian Angel) you can get a copy at the Sheriff's office.
Churches are great. Alot to choose from.
Real Estate is a buyers market now. Rentals are available in almost every neighborhood.
I just opened a Salon/Day Spa in the heart of Rockledge and the City was excellent. They helped me along with providing a facade grant.
I also might add the safety I feel when it's hurricane season. We are on the mainland so evacuation isn't always mandatory as it is with Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island.
I hope you will find this helpful and consider, your own research will be the best.
My husband is a realtor if you need any statistics or any info on rentals and sales. Ruben Garcia 321.544.4932
Good Luck! Kari

Old 08-15-2007, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 37,197 times
Oh another thing, If you home school your children, we have several groups who get together for field trips and events and at the church I attend, they have a program for a Graduation program too! (Destiny Church in Merritt Island) Alot of my clients home school! Kari
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County