Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times

Advertisements

Wonder indeed. It smells awful bad in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:56 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I gather 'The Compound' refers to the stuff that was platted out before some certain day, and is the part of town that has the most vacant lots?
Yeah, it's a term some people use for that whole area that rabflmom mentioned, where General Development Corporation bought several square miles' worth of land in the southwesternmost part of town, paved a couple hundred miles' worth of streets and started selling lots before going bankrupt.

If you want to have fun with Google Maps, call up Palm Bay in street-map view and find where Bombardier Boulevard (running E-W) meets Degroodt Road (running N-S). To the southwest of that intersection, you'll see a street pattern that looks like a thriving suburban community. Switch to Earth view and there's basically nothing there.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:00 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
If you want to have fun with Google Maps, call up Palm Bay in street-map view and find where Bombardier Boulevard (running E-W) meets Degroodt Road (running N-S). To the southwest of that intersection, you'll see a street pattern that looks like a thriving suburban community. Switch to Earth view and there's basically nothing there.
I'm glad my lot isn't in that part. Whoooeee. Mine is in the developed part, but when people talk about a certain oversupply of building lots, I can see why they might say that. Did that vacant area get utilities run to it, or was it just platted and then nothing else happened?

Old 12-16-2015, 04:26 AM

[QUOTE
If you want to have fun with Google Maps, call up Palm Bay in street-map view and find where Bombardier Boulevard (running E-W) meets Degroodt Road (running N-S). To the southwest of that intersection, you'll see a street pattern that looks like a thriving suburban community. Switch to Earth view and there's basically nothing there.[/quote]

For even more fun, if you have the guts, a GPS, a cell phone, and gas, try driving through the area. It is spooky and surreal. There are several You Tube videos as well, if not wanting to chance it yourself.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
I'm glad my lot isn't in that part. Whoooeee. Mine is in the developed part, but when people talk about a certain oversupply of building lots, I can see why they might say that. Did that vacant area get utilities run to it, or was it just platted and then nothing else happened?
It is undeveloped except for the roads constructed by GDC. In the last 5 or 6 years a few of the roads where people have built down that way have been repaved but most are deteriorating streets. Found this video on you tube. Starts out with a mistake in when roads were built, but gives a look at what it is like down there.

The Compound | Haunted Places | Palm Bay, FL

Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
For even more fun, if you have the guts, a GPS, a cell phone, and gas, try driving through the area. It is spooky and surreal. There are several You Tube videos as well, if not wanting to chance it yourself.
I did that a few months ago, starting with the eastern end of St. Andre. Funny thing is, the roads were absolutely horrible on that end where it's sparsely developed, but when I got to the completely undeveloped part, the main roads weren't too bad at all. Pavement holds up better when there's no traffic on it!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
It is undeveloped except for the roads constructed by GDC. In the last 5 or 6 years a few of the roads where people have built down that way have been repaved but most are deteriorating streets. Found this video on you tube. Starts out with a mistake in when roads were built, but gives a look at what it is like down there.

The Compound | Haunted Places | Palm Bay, FL
That is just bizarre. Like time after humanity. I guess we know where the local youth go for I&I.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:46 AM

120 posts, read 195,928 times
Quote:
Looks like no utilities, most of the roads if you look on the YouTube videos don't even have curb and gutter, just the road. Really odd way of doing things now a days. The new neighborhood by me was getting all the storm drains/sanitary sewer put in before road beds were even constructed. Looks like like that area wasn't really well thought out in that regard.

If I get bored someday, I'll make a trip down with a GPS that does a breadcrumb trail of where I came from so I can get out again.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:38 PM

Remember, when many of these roads were put in, there likely was no city water or sewer yet. The expectation was septic tank and well water. Today, any new area being developed, likely due to Enviornmental concerns, will require sewers to be installed before hand. Reason for higher taxes and/or assessments in those areas if you are a land owner.
My 1st house in Palm Bay was way at the end in the NW section on Tamworth St. It was built in 1990 and we had septic only. I remember hearing about how only 80% or so of the lots on a given street could be built on for that reason. It actually was a pressure if you had a lot and the street was being built up, to build before it was too late. I believe once the city sewers came in, the limit was lifted.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:36 AM

I pay some form of sewer utility fee, about $20 per year. Surprised they haven't yet figured out more ways to soak the absentees; in their place, if I had a bunch of property owners who didn't get to vote in local elections, I would milk them with a mighty milking. So if they only nail me for $20 a year, I think I'll just not make noise at them about that, lest it give them impetus to seek a new method of soakage. I am not sure whether that fee actually buys anyone anything. Guessing that it just goes toward the cost of connecting that development, or a major repair. It's not like I can refuse to pay it, so I never bothered finding out what it really was. Costs associated with real estate investing (which this is, in the sense that picking out a 1958 wheatback penny is technically coin collecting).

Don't get me wrong, I wish Palm Bay massive prosperity. Massive. The kind that makes its lots the most desirable on earth, that has me flipping off people who insult my intelligence by offering me less than $50K for my lot. And after I sell mine, fair's fair, hope the prosperity continues and it becomes the next big Space Coast destination. I long ago decided that it was best to be cheerful, since the alternative is to sell and book a loss, and being a grump about the costs wouldn't alter them a nickel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
View detailed profiles of: