Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 05:04 PM

166 posts, read 353,334 times

Advertisements

Hi locals! What is your best source for updates on Covid-19 in Brevard? We have a trip planned in a few weeks and want to keep updated w the status there.

Despite only 12 cases here in MD the governor is shutting down all public schools for 2 weeks to flatten the spread of this virus. What is being done in your area? Are people raiding the stores for TP there?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 07:18 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Florida today

Old 03-13-2020, 05:17 AM

91 posts, read 167,529 times
Went to CVS yesterday, toilet paper could be found. Brevard Public schools goes on spring break today, so an announcement about canceling schools might happen over the break. No word yet. I know Publix has a ration on how much supplies you can buy.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:46 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Actually there is no true count of effected people in the county. Hopefully hot muggy weather keeps the spread down. We actually have not had 1 person tested positive in the county in spite of the fact that we have a pretty active port. But then the no positives could be because the hospital system where a friend works here does not even have testing kits to test anyone. Cases in the state went up by 15 last night so I think there are 41 now.

By now you know Disney World, Universal parks, and most of the cruise lines are closed. Beaches here are pretty busy with spring break. Public schools are on spring break starting today, but have no plans to extend it longer or teach on line yet.

We did have to reschedule a round of tests my husband was to have done yesterday because the tech was on home isolation because she had been on a cruise. He has 2 scheduled next week so will see what happens there.

Stores are either out or low on a lot of things for sterilizing/cleaning, and toilet paper. Don't really understand the hoarding of toilet paper. I guess it is like....a snow storm is coming and everyone rushes to buy all the milk and bread. They are getting trucks, though so maybe restocking often.

My husband has cardivascular problems so we are staying close to home and our sons who work in the public (both managers of stores or hotels) are not going to visit us to expose us to the virus if they should not be showing symptoms yet. We aren't going to the concerts we planned to go to at Sea World even though the park is still open. I am also not going to meet up with snowbirds that I went to high school with because they went on cruises like I planned. When spring break is over we may head to the beach or go early mornings because that seems like a pretty safe place to spend time. People may think we are too cautious but also thinking that like Italy, the US has waited too long to get this virus under control.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:49 PM

Thanks for all the info. We will have to see how things play out. Glad FL is closing schools until the end of the month. The goal is to slow the spread of the virus so the hospitals are not overrun and that is the way to do it.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:01 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paul View Post
Went to CVS yesterday, toilet paper could be found. Brevard Public schools goes on spring break today, so an announcement about canceling schools might happen over the break. No word yet. I know Publix has a ration on how much supplies you can buy.
Schools cancelled through March 30th. For now

Old 03-14-2020, 03:24 PM

Kennedy Space Center is closing on Monday until further notice. We are sadly canceling our trip. While we planned to drive 15 hours and stay in a condo w a nice large kitchen and were going to spend most of our time outdoors, there is too much uncertainty. Very sad about it but there is a more peaceful feeling when one is at home during these times. Locals, please enjoy your time outside for me!

Old 03-16-2020, 10:35 AM

264 posts, read 338,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Kennedy Space Center is closing on Monday until further notice. We are sadly canceling our trip. While we planned to drive 15 hours and stay in a condo w a nice large kitchen and were going to spend most of our time outdoors, there is too much uncertainty. Very sad about it but there is a more peaceful feeling when one is at home during these times. Locals, please enjoy your time outside for me!

We have a place in Cocoa Beach and my husband was supposed to fly down tomorrow for a 10 day visit. We've pushed that back to the 29th and will re-evaluate as the time gets closer. He may be SOL for a spring solo trip.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,685,494 times
My advice if traveling, drive and don't fly. There is just too much risk at the airports, on the planes and even the rental car areas and cars themselves. I would rather drive my own car for two days if I planned an extended visit.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
My advice if traveling, drive and don't fly. There is just too much risk at the airports, on the planes and even the rental car areas and cars themselves. I would rather drive my own car for two days if I planned an extended visit.
Why travel? ....... Everything is closed or closing-even the hotels and stores .......why expose yourself unless you have to to help the USA recover from these trying times? Why expose our families who live here to the virus more than we already have been? My advice is stay home. It looks like we are low risk; but out of 600,000 people in the county only 8 have even been able to get the test. Our 1 positive actually brought it home with her from NY-knowing she was exposed by a person she knows who had tested positive up there. Only way to stop this......stay home and give it no hosts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County