Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 PM

902 posts, read 807,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Well Jane green, if you are willing, then I have a few things to ask about the area. First a bit about my family...

My user name makes it obvious. Been in the metro area my whole life, work in NYC. 58, wife and mid 20's daughter. We are all sick of the northeast, have been for a few years, and this Covid thing has put it over the top. Tired of the extreme liberal way (and being outcast for being a republican, but not an extreme conservative, just favor the republican view), and can't stand 6 months of gray cold winter. I make a good living, but would never be able to fully retire. Have plenty of equity in the house, and would be able to very comfortably afford up to $400,000. This has just been coming for quite a while. Many trips to family down in in Brevard county has finalized this decision.

With that said, we like the Melbourne/Viera area. Will be working in the Space Coast and Orlando area. Don't want to live on the beach, would rather be mainland side... just not too far from the beach, which is why that area is appealing to us. Have been doing our research for about a year or so, other than traveling down there, and we are about 6 months to a year from the move. Safety is the biggest thing to us, number 1.

We have found a particular area that we like more than others because it seems that while it appears to have a very low crime rate, it also give more bang for the buck, and a little bit more land. That is south of 404. Two areas from there... east of N. Wickham Rd down to Forest Run drive, and west of N. Wickham Rd down to Aurora Rd.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. We have out countdown calendar to when this house goes up for sale. We need a change, and we can't wait.
We own land (1.25 acres) in the N. Wickham area 500’ to the north of the Pineda Causeway off of Wickham Road, between the produce stand (if it’s still there) and the church where they hold the Greek festival.

The area is known to locals as Suntree and is just a few minutes from the beach, with great schools and proximity to everything in the area. Anyone interested or looking to build can contact us through DM.

We moved away in 2017 and now live in the mountains of Tennessee. Love it here and have no plans on returning to Brevard County, but have considered building a home on it to use as a VRBO and for trips to Disney and such. We shall see.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 10-01-2020 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 09:46 PM

10 posts, read 21,868 times
Originally Posted by SickofJersey

I live near the Wickham/Post Rd intersection. All of the areas you mention are very nice, safe and are convenient to shopping, dining, and entertainment. You have two routes two the beach, the 404 Pineda causeway or the 518 Eau Gallie causeway depending on your beachside destination.
For larger lots, the areas off Turtle Mound from Post Rd south to Eau Gallie usually are 1/2 acre or larger.

When you say working in Orlando, WHERE? I would not want to make that trip twice a day unless you are working on the east side of the city. Even then rush hour traffic is a B#@% on Rt192, 528 or 50.

I grew up on Staten Island, and Melbourne is a paradise compared to what Staten Island is today.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:40 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
My one caution would be to look North of the college and not go as far South as Aurora . Since you are thinking Orlando commute, I would look in the Suntree and Viera areas of Melbourne for easy access to 95. Most will have ad HOA ad some will have a additional CDD fee.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:52 PM

166 posts, read 352,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
We own land (1.25 acres) in the N. Wickham area 500’ to the north of the Pineda Causeway off of Wickham Road, between the produce stand (if it’s still there) and the church where they hold the Greek festival.

The area is known to locals as Suntree and is just a few minutes from the beach, with great schools and proximity to everything in the area. Anyone interested or looking to build can contact us through DM.

We moved away in 2017 and now live in the mountains of Tennessee. Love it here and have no plans on returning to Brevard County, but have considered building a home on it to use as a VRBO and for trips to Disney and such. We shall see.
Vince- When did you leave Asheville?

Old 10-04-2020, 09:34 PM

902 posts, read 807,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Vince- When did you leave Asheville?
After living there for three years back at the end of Feb / beginning of March we bought a home 40 minutes north in the mountains of TN. Still spend a lot of time in the Asheville area, but living there just wasn’t our cup of tea.

Was just down there today at the NC Arboretum and Rocky’s Hot Chicken Shack. Took the BRP all the way back home through Little Switzerland into TN.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:21 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardREALTOR View Post
Hi @barnabyapp. Congratulations on the job offer!

I live in Indialantic, so I am very familiar with the in and outs of both here and Mel. Beach. I wouldn't say people are in your face about politics. If you're looking to start an argument and are aggressive you can certainly find someone who will oblige, but being live and let live I'm sure that won't be a problem for you. There's definitely a mixture of conservative and liberal here. You'll find your tribe, and it will likely contain people from both groups. Local town politics are what people seem to get most upset about.

The schools for beachside are A-rated, which is based on test scores. We all know there's a lot more to a school than how students test but it's a good start. There are also exceptional choice schools in the Brevard County area where the entrance is determined via a lottery, rather than your address.
Three of the options are Freedom 7, Melbourne School of Science & Westshore. There's also an IB program at Melbourne High which you have to apply for. The lottery for the next school year is closed but you can enter next January if you decide it's a good fit for your child(ren).

Florida is as far south as you can go in the US, yet it isn't "southern". There are definitely people with strong religious roots here, but your child won't likely be asked regularly about their religion.

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Good luck with your move and finding your piece of paradise!
Thank you Brevard Realtor.

We are making our move this coming May/June. I absolutely appreciate your reply. We're just looking for a friendlier way of life, and away from the stresses up here... which has gotten much more stressful the past few months. And also much more unsafe, if you have seen reports of NYC crime. I work in the city every day. It is definitely not what it was just a few years ago.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:25 AM

Thank you Vince. I'm aware of the Suntree area and that it's one of the more desirable areas where we are looking. As I had said, safety is the number one thing to us, as we never want to have the worries of living in a high crime area.

I know that there isn't a "paradise" anywhere, and that anything can happen. But I believe that when you reduce your odds by being able to choose a "safer" neighborhood, you rest just a little bit easier each night.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not-Sure View Post
Originally Posted by SickofJersey

I live near the Wickham/Post Rd intersection. All of the areas you mention are very nice, safe and are convenient to shopping, dining, and entertainment. You have two routes two the beach, the 404 Pineda causeway or the 518 Eau Gallie causeway depending on your beachside destination.
For larger lots, the areas off Turtle Mound from Post Rd south to Eau Gallie usually are 1/2 acre or larger.

When you say working in Orlando, WHERE? I would not want to make that trip twice a day unless you are working on the east side of the city. Even then rush hour traffic is a B#@% on Rt192, 528 or 50.

I grew up on Staten Island, and Melbourne is a paradise compared to what Staten Island is today.
Hi not-sure.

I see we understand each other. The New York I grew up in, and the Manhattan I've been working in for over 30 years, has changed for the worse. I'm looking forward to the paradise you now enjoy.

We haven't moved yet, but by reviewing jobs in my field, I see I may have to travel as far as the eastern outskirts of Orlando... which is why I stated what I did. I have family both in Melbourne and Merritt Island, so I have an idea of what I'm in for in regards to commuting. It really isn't a big deal for me, I can relax and drive... been doing it for many years. As long as I have that "paradise" to come back to, and the beach right next door, then life is good. And retirement is just a few short years away, especially once I come to Florida and leave the 14,000 a year in property taxes plus all the other massive costs here.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
My one caution would be to look North of the college and not go as far South as Aurora . Since you are thinking Orlando commute, I would look in the Suntree and Viera areas of Melbourne for easy access to 95. Most will have ad HOA ad some will have a additional CDD fee.
Thank you Rabflmom. We are also looking at southern Rockledge, as that will help commuting wise also.

I've been reading your posts for a while now, and I love your info and your personality (which is so easy to see even on a blog). You have a very positive attitude. Have you always been that way, or did Florida life bring that out of you? It's been hard lately to feel positive about anything up here, other than surviving another day. It's very sad what this area has become.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamaniac507 View Post
You seem concerned more about politics and religion. People of conviction will talk about their views wherever they are. It doesnt matter if its San Francisco or Missisipi. Fortunately most people are live and let live. But also you wont be able to stop people of faith from sharing their religion. I think the media sensationalizes everything.
Hi Pandemic. Maybe you just read into my post differently than what I intended. What I am concerned about is the violence or "canceling" that occurs if you don't follow the mob up here. And since my wife and daughter don't "adhere", I fear that they may become victims... along with myself. I'm sure you've read about what has been going on in the New York area. It's very upsetting.

I guess we're just looking for a place where it doesn't matter what affiliation we have, just what's in our hearts and our actions. We just want to be happy and live life peacefully, not be threatened because we don't submit to the wants of the mobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County