Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 02:19 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
I shake my head at the idiots wearing a mask alone in their cars. I do not know what they are thinking!
I do agree with the car situation in most cases. But I can also understand if you are shopping store to store to just leave it on. Also, if you handle things or push a door open and you don't have sanitizer in the car, I would not be touching my head or face to take the mask off. This happened to me when my spray sanitizer had leaked out in my car and I had nothing. So I left my mask on until I got home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 02:44 PM

264 posts, read 338,583 times
Nypafl4u, safe travels home. DH and I have been going back and forth about canceling due to the spike in cases.

I need this break, and we will take all precautions. I need to see my beach.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy3n8 View Post
Nypafl4u, safe travels home. DH and I have been going back and forth about canceling due to the spike in cases.

I need this break, and we will take all precautions. I need to see my beach.
You too. The beach is beatiful. There are definetly people and places that don't care, but most places are at least trying.
We went to one of our favorite Thai/ Sushi places, Nippon Thai in Satalitte Beach for dinner. The waiters and Sushi chef's had masks on, but rarely covered their noses and often pulled them down likely because it was rather hot in there. So at times there was exposure, but mostly covered when near tables.
Earlier in the morning at Simply Delicious, we put our names down for a table, they had both inside and out. After about a half hour, a man came with a mask, put his name down on the wait list and proceeded to sit outside where there was a bench. He began to caugh repeatedly, no mask on. It went on for a good five minutes. It cleared the entire area out front, including us, away. The persistent dry caugh was a big turn off. No one can know for sure but we did not take a chance. We went accross the street to Roberto's where all servers had on masks, but not in the kitchen. At least no one was caughing. We had a good meal with no other events.
We are rather paranoid because we keep hearing of rising cases here.
TJ Maxx in Merritt Island had a lady up front offering to sanitize your cart as wells a satitizing station. Signs were up to wear a mask if entering the store. Most of the customers did, about 10% didn't. We appreciated the effort at TJ Maxx, but not the customers who refuse to wear a mask.
Tomorrow we plan to check out the Zoo in Melbourne. They require scheduled entry times and advanced ticket purchasing to limit exposure and control entry levels by time. No cash accepted, only credit and debit. No water fountains, but they will have water stations to fill your bottle and one food area selling food. We will be careful and move about to minimize proximity to others.
Stay safe and please wear your masks.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:57 PM

Updates for today. Had breakfast at the Blueberry Muffin In Indialantic. On first look we were greeted by a masked employee and seated a distance away from others. After about 5 minutes, we noticed half the staff was not masked. Our waitress who was at first, seemed to remove it half way through our meal. Several others kept them on.
We went to the Brevard Zoo and they were taking Covid seriously. All employees and volunteers were masked. Some exhibits had signs posted that required you to wear. Most complied but many didn't. I can say it was hot and humid which made it difficult to wear too long. Luckily there was enough space to go mask less when we needed to cool off. I applaud the zoo for doing it well with plenty of signs and sanitizing stations. Truly a beatiful and fun place to spend a few hours at.
Dinner was at Squid Lips in Cocoa Beach. Again a mix of initial mask wearers making one feel safe. But if you went inside to use a restroom, you saw many employees congregating near the front desk with no masks on, chatting away. When they saw a customer, masks were quickly raised. Please tell me what this accomplishes? The outside bar area had three sets of two bar stools spaced apart. Some were moved during our meal to be closer to each other. I guess they still sell drinks to people congregating at a bar within the restaurant, which I thought was banned a few days ago, well not here.
Some friends of ours were eating at Gills at the port. Same story we heard. Most of the staff did not wear masks.
It has become very clear in 2 1/2 days that Brevard and Florida have a very loose understanding of how to contain this virus. The younger the age, the less compliant. It truly breaks my heart to see this and grasp how much many gave up to get to a point where we could try to enjoy some normalcy, but now have to wonder if this virus can be contained with such nonchalant behavior. Hopefully a vaccine will get here sooner than later in 2021.
Stay safe out there, I know we are trying, but finding it difficult if we go out in public.

Last edited by Nypafl4u; 06-29-2020 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM

Nypafl4u, that's disheartening to hear that people are still not taking the mask issue seriously. Brevard County commissioners are supposed to meet today and one of the topics up for discussion is requiring masks be worn in the county. The county administrator already issued a directive that county workers must wear masks in nearly all situations.

We just got a call from Cocoa Beach Shuttle and they needed to upcharge us because they still are not allowed to do shared shuttles. She said when we made the reservation, they charged us based on the assumption they would be released on 7/1/20 to again do shared shuttles.

I'm ok with it, knowing we won't be shoved in like sardines - not that I really expected too many people on the shuttle since the cruise ships still aren't sailing.

We won't have wheels this trip, so will be limiting ourselves to where we can walk. I think we will head down to the library and get the 10 ride bus passes though. This trip is just to check on the place and relax anyway. Once we get back we'll be putting on a big push to downsize our crap and put the house on the market up here.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:51 PM

Safe travels Gypsy3n8. If you know what to expect, you can do your best to protect yourself.
The real estate market is hot here now, even with Covid still in the news. It will interesting to see if this stays that way if more restrictions are put in place.
I do hope Brevard gets more serious about this.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:52 PM

Breakfast today at Debbie's Dinner in Merritt Island had all servers wearing masks. A few cooks in the back did not. We love eating here as the food for the price is great. I hope they get the kitchen staff on board with mask wearing.
Dinner at Cafe Margo in Cocoa Village was amazing. Not just the food and great service, but they are taking Covid seriously. There is sanitizer, a box of gloves and various cleaners on the front table when you walk in. All wait staff and cooks had on masks, that we could see. All wait staff had on disposable gloves that were changed frequently. All menus were paper, single use which was mentioned by our waiter, so no need to wash your hands after handling the menu. People were seated at least 6 feet apart. I could not detect one incident that had us question their intent on providing a safe place to have a meal out. No one was permitted to sit by the bar. If you can afford their prices, you will be treated to a great and seemingly clean meal. Well done Cafe Margo.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:59 PM

Gators Dockside at Port Canaveral did well to require anyone dining in to wear a face mask. If you did not have one, they offered a disposable one at the front door. You outside seating did not require this, but you did have to wear if walking through any inside areas. All waiter service wore them and menus where wiped down after use. Disposable gloves were also used when handling to go orders. Well done Gators.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:29 AM

Good for Gators.

We got in yesterday and I did a quick run to Winn Dixie off 520. All employees masked, most all customers masked.

For dinner we called in a pizza from Branos. When I picked it up, every employee I saw was masked.

And Branos white pizza is excellent

Old 07-03-2020, 07:44 AM

On our final day in the area, we did have an early breakfast at Grills, as we needed to be in that area. We sat outside and enjoyed the Dolphins passing by. The waitresses were wearing masks when serving. We did see some inside employees without them.
Latter we had a late lunch at the Sandbar. Much to my surprise and the first time we encountered this on the entire trip, they actually took your temperature with proximity no touch thermometer before you could enter through the front door. All wait staff had masks and the menus were on line, easily pulled up by scanning a bar code at the table. They removed everything off the tables and brought napkins, ketchup, etc as needed They also removed all the center tables in the front section so there was a wide path to get to the back. I believe some back tables were removed as well. We had a great taco meal and we're glad to see one of favorite local places doing it right. Well done Sandbar.
I really do hope more people in Brevard do their part and try to curtail this virus from spreading further. It saddened me to hear the Brevard Comissioner rejected mandating the wearing of face masks when in public, less than 6 feet away. We felt the discomfort in the hot weather and did take ours off at times, but never when we were close to others. I get people's freedoms but sometimes sacrifices need to be made for the betterment of all. Only together can this thing be beat. Stay safe out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County