Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 11:30 AM

166 posts, read 352,735 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. While on the topic of beaches, what areas do you find the most shells in April? We love shelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 11:53 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Thanks for the info. While on the topic of beaches, what areas do you find the most shells in April? We love shelling.
Usually find more in the fall. West coast of Florida has more, but we usually find shells in South Brevard. Refurbishing the beaches puts a stop to it sometimes though. Come South from Patrick and you will find more. We have not been for a couple months because of the holidays and other stuff going on, but go an hour or so before low tide and you could see where the shell beds are located as you walk Melbourne Beach Ocean park, Spessard Holland N. and S. beaches, Coconut, and the beaches along A1A south to Vero Beach. Most have free parking.

Check out the state park Sebastian Inlet while you are here. You do have to pay to park there. Good place to watch the surfers and you can usually see manatees, dolphins, and maybe even sharks in the water from the fishing pier. It is a cool park.

Also going North you may want to head up to the National Seashore in Titusville There is a charge for National Parks but you might even be able to watch a rocket launch if there is one scheduled There are about 10 access areas but avoid the llast one if not comfortable with nude sunbathers according to what people say. We stay 1 -4 because they are closer to launch sight. We never found shells there though the beach is natural and beautiful.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
Oh OK, thank you rabflmom. I thought the concrete was closer to shore. Either way they shouldn't be doing that. We will be staying in Satellite Beach in Satellite Beach Isles. On a previous visit we went to Howard Futch (Paradise Beach) which was nice. I don't remember any reef there but I read there is. Is that true?
They have covered it with sand but it is still there. It is a good beach though. Sometimes where the reefis just off shore it can be really pretty at low tide if it shows and sometimes you can see the little fish, crabs etc around the "rocks" . We love the beach before low tide because the reef can be walked on. We usually skimmers where the reef is which are cool.

Of course walking early morning after there has been a high tide bigger shells may have come in on the waves and are just sitting on the beach waiting for you.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:31 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Somewhere near those rocks is 1-2 doors from an old Scot Wagoneer lost a sea back in the early 70's

Old 01-20-2023, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,913 times
I’m a visitor to Satellite Beach. I’m an experienced body surfer and boogie boarder. I have gashes all over one leg as a result of going in the water at low tide. Hit what I thought was a big rock. A one off while traversing through white water, or so I thought. The hit the same leg on another large “rock”. I headed back in. Much or carefully, and via a different path. And hit another “rock”. Nothing was visible from the surface. No reef. No warning signs. When I got to shore and checked my leg, it was bleeding in 7 or 8 places. Glad I didn’t decide to do any body surfing. Ouch. I guess I’m not as experienced as I thought after 50 years of playing in the ocean.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbadehut63 View Post
I’m a visitor to Satellite Beach. I’m an experienced body surfer and boogie boarder. I have gashes all over one leg as a result of going in the water at low tide. Hit what I thought was a big rock. A one off while traversing through white water, or so I thought. The hit the same leg on another large “rock”. I headed back in. Much or carefully, and via a different path. And hit another “rock”. Nothing was visible from the surface. No reef. No warning signs. When I got to shore and checked my leg, it was bleeding in 7 or 8 places. Glad I didn’t decide to do any body surfing. Ouch. I guess I’m not as experienced as I thought after 50 years of playing in the ocean.
There is a reef right along the shore. There is erosion from the 2 hurricanes this year so the reef is uncovered at low tide . Go up to Picnic Table beach across from Patrick Air Force Base or go South to Indialantic and you will find sand beaches without the rocks.

Old 01-28-2023, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,913 times
Default Thanks

Thank you. Appreciate it.

Old 05-17-2023, 12:12 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Back in 1976 off the Canova Beach area there was a old station wagon hung up in the rocks at low tide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County