Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 09:06 AM

435 posts, read 454,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Perspective: Institutional investors now own about 300,000 single family houses in the United States where 80 million such houses exist. That is just over one third of one percent. Wall Street has little to do with price appreciation of the single family market.

On the other hand, if you wish to consider "Wall Street" responsible for the current low mortgage lending rates, those are largely responsible for increased demand by typical American buyers.
Curious where you pulled this 300,000 number from. What's the source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 10:14 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,236,006 times
That's the same number quoted here from a presentation by Invitation Homes.

From the article:

"According to data from Invitation Homes, there are 128 million households and 62% are owned homes, while 38% are rented. Out of the rental batch of 49 million units, 35% are Single-family rentals, 62% are apartments, and 4% are mobile homes and others. In the investor presentation, institutional owners are just at 300,000 units for single-family homes vs. 16.2 million which are called “Moms and Pops”."

Old 08-28-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post

From the article:

"According to data from Invitation Homes, there are 128 million households and 62% are owned homes, while 38% are rented. Out of the rental batch of 49 million units, 35% are Single-family rentals, 62% are apartments, and 4% are mobile homes and others. In the investor presentation, institutional owners are just at 300,000 units for single-family homes vs. 16.2 million which are called “Moms and Pops”."
Appreciate the response and the source.

The thing is 39,000 single family homes were purchased by institutional investors in Q1 of 2021 alone, so only 300,000 single family homes altogether being owned by institutional investors just seems low. I'll do further research. Thanks again

Old 08-29-2021, 01:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,852,215 times
Quote:

From the article:

Yep, what he said.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:26 AM

Quote:

From the article:

"According to data from Invitation Homes
One important thing here: Invitation Homes was established by Blackstone (another institutional investor) as a separate entity, but Blackrock is now a major investor in Invitation Homes.

As such, Invitation Homes has a clear motivation to kneecap the bad press that Blackrock and their industry at large has been getting for their rampant acquisitions.

Between this and the claim of just 300,000 TOTAL SFH units being owned by institutional investors and the obvious conflict of interest between Invitation Homes and Blackrock, I'm skeptical. Again, 39,000 single family homes were purchased by institutional investors in Q1 2021 alone... so it just seems fishy. I'd like to see their data set and qualifiers for what an "institutional investor" is in their analysis.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:26 PM

2,751 posts, read 1,786,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
One important thing here: Invitation Homes was established by Blackstone (another institutional investor) as a separate entity, but Blackrock is now a major investor in Invitation Homes.

As such, Invitation Homes has a clear motivation to kneecap the bad press that Blackrock and their industry at large has been getting for their rampant acquisitions.

Between this and the claim of just 300,000 TOTAL SFH units being owned by institutional investors and the obvious conflict of interest between Invitation Homes and Blackrock, I'm skeptical. Again, 39,000 single family homes were purchased by institutional investors in Q1 2021 alone... so it just seems fishy. I'd like to see their data set and qualifiers for what an "institutional investor" is in their analysis.
Given the substantial increase in home prices over the last 8 years since the financial crisis, I would expect institutional investors to be net sellers at this point. End of one investment cycle and recycle the capital into something else.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:52 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
Transaction and system development charges

Old 08-30-2021, 09:40 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,236,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Given the substantial increase in home prices over the last 8 years since the financial crisis, I would expect institutional investors to be net sellers at this point. End of one investment cycle and recycle the capital into something else.
Unless they have somewhere to redeploy the proceeds or need to reduce exposure I'm not sure why they would divest unless they expect a major decline in value. With the major increase in rents since they began their buying here (Palm Bay mainly) their cash flow on money invested has to be pretty tasty and rents are still going up.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:10 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,687,354 times
Quote:
Unless they have somewhere to redeploy the proceeds or need to reduce exposure I'm not sure why they would divest unless they expect a major decline in value. With the major increase in rents since they began their buying here (Palm Bay mainly) their cash flow on money invested has to be pretty tasty and rents are still going up.
I would mostly agree with this. As a smaller single family home investor, I have found it difficult to raise rents too high if there is a good paying tenant. For me, the cost of updates, paint and cleaning, usually several thousand dollars beyond any deposit held, makes for a daunting task to not renew. I feel rents will be dropping soon as people either save up to buy with low interest rates and more evictions come about as the Covid safety nets are dropped by the government. I do think we are in for some bumpy, unstable times in the not so distant future. Maybe it is a good time to sell, I just keep taking myself out of it...

Old 09-01-2021, 06:31 AM

264 posts, read 339,438 times
NyPaFl4U, we considered selling also since we can get a huge ROI on the condo after just 2 years. The problem is everything we looked at was way overpriced and it made DH appreciate what we already have in terms of our current needs and future plans.

We'll eventually end up with a SFH on the mainland, but not in this market. We were going to look at 1 place in Melbourne area and the owner was a Realtor and the home was a rental. She had the place priced $150/SF higher than all of the other comps in the area. We didn't even bother since the price was absolutely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County