Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:55 PM

54 posts, read 408,505 times

Advertisements

Though I can't move to FL yet, some of my family might be possibly moving to Melbourne FL. This is the only area where the head of household has a job offer. They are from CT, is there anyone from the area that moved down to this area? How does it compare to CT's life style? Is there ALOT to do (meaning shopping, things to do that you wouldn't do everyday)? I know its not Orlando, but they would like an urban feel. Is it more of a "southern" feel? Is it more modern? Is it rural? Also, I see many say its getting expensive, but is it as expensive as CT (if anyone knows)? Also, is there alot to do in Palm Bay? The population on city-data makes it seem like a city also, which I assume there would be some more shopping or something. Please help ASAP! Thanks.

I DID read other postings, but I just would prefer if my questions were answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Default ?

?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 AM

206 posts, read 1,135,092 times
I've never lived in CT, but I did live in MASS. I lived in Palm Bay for 5 years and my husband has lived there for 20. Palm Bay is urban and parts are rural. It's a nice area and the "facilities" and "shopping" are growing. There is a new shopping plaza that is just getting ready to open near 95. Not sure what you are looking for "to do". Most of the entertainment areas are in Melbourne. You did not state your age or preference for living arrangements... do you want a house, a condo an apartment? Do you want to rent or buy? Do you need to be close to schools, parks? Parts of Palm Bay have city water, some have wells, some is sewer, some is septic. .... all things to consider.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2020 View Post
Though I can't move to FL yet, some of my family might be possibly moving to Melbourne FL. This is the only area where the head of household has a job offer. They are from CT, is there anyone from the area that moved down to this area? How does it compare to CT's life style? Is there ALOT to do (meaning shopping, things to do that you wouldn't do everyday)? I know its not Orlando, but they would like an urban feel. Is it more of a "southern" feel? Is it more modern? Is it rural? Also, I see many say its getting expensive, but is it as expensive as CT (if anyone knows)? Also, is there alot to do in Palm Bay? The population on city-data makes it seem like a city also, which I assume there would be some more shopping or something. Please help ASAP! Thanks.

I DID read other postings, but I just would prefer if my questions were answered.
I moved here from CT, little north of Melbourne. As far as comparision in life styles, what are you looking for? There's plenty of shopping and resturants. For me I think it's more expensive to live in CT than here.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM

Sorry for taking a while to reply, but my parents and my brother will be moving down there possibly pending if a job goes through, but schools will be important as my brother will go to public school. I am 22 years old, but if I was to move there (I had always planned to move to FL), I would like to live somewhere close to clubs, bars, etc. I am more of an urban/city type of person, and being that you guys lived near or in CT, it's a great help to compare the two areas. Also, they would be renting preferably a 3 bedroom house. They checked on realtor.com and the rent seems ALOT cheaper then CT, which is one of the reasons for leaving the area (its getting very expensive here). Thanks

*Is it true there will be a "culture shock" in that area compared to New England? And also, this may be hard to explain, but which towns/cities in CT/Mass is closest to compare to Palm Bay/Melbourne area? From what I read, I think that Melbourne seems similar to Milford, CT.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:01 PM

Palm Bay reminds me of Meriden, New Britian area. Wasn't too familiar with the Milford area. Melbourne might be what you are looking for, close to the beach, plenty of bars and night clubs. Also check Craigs List for rentals under the Space Coast.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:54 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,971 times
Palm Bay, West Melbourne, Melbourne, Indialantic, Satellite Beach, Suntree, and the other little towns here are all part of one metro area. If it weren't for the signs posted at the city limits, you would have no clue that you were crossing into a different city. They all run together. If you're going to move here, don't focus on the differences between the cities, focus on the area as a whole. Come visit, drive around a bit, and you'll figure out better what parts of town you like more than others.

FWIW, I live in a nice, older neighborhood in NE Palm Bay and love it.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Palm Bay, West Melbourne, Melbourne, Indialantic, Satellite Beach, Suntree, and the other little towns here are all part of one metro area. If it weren't for the signs posted at the city limits, you would have no clue that you were crossing into a different city. They all run together. If you're going to move here, don't focus on the differences between the cities, focus on the area as a whole. Come visit, drive around a bit, and you'll figure out better what parts of town you like more than others.

FWIW, I live in a nice, older neighborhood in NE Palm Bay and love it.
On another thread you stated that " I'd also recommend avoiding Palm Bay like the plague."

Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
On another thread you stated that " I'd also recommend avoiding Palm Bay like the plague."
Haha, yeah. Palm Bay has a reputation that is, frankly, undeserved. When I first moved here, I kept hearing that Palm Bay had incredibly high crime and was essentially one giant, redneck trailer park. When my wife and I actually started looking at buying a house last summer though, our Realtor convinced us to actually look at Palm Bay seriously. Boy were we surprised! We were able to get a much, much nicer house, in a great neighborhood, with a pool, on a huge double lot, for less money than we'd pay for a tiny shack in Viera or beachside. Plus, it's closer to my job! I don't know where Palm Bay gets the reputation for crime; it doesn't have a bad part of town the way Melbourne or Cocoa do. We have no problem going for a walk at night, or leaving a windows open. Like anywhere of course, some parts are better than others, but we've been very, very happy here.

My comment still stands on the fact that the town seem to run together. That was the lesson that I learned when my wife and I were house hunting. Pay less attention to what city the house is actually in and more attention to the neighborhoods themselves, proximity to work, and things like that.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:37 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Quote:
I would like to live somewhere close to clubs, bars, etc.
I grew up in Palm Bay/Melbourne. When we wanted to go clubbing we drove to Orlando, about 45 minutes away. There isn't a whole lot for young people to do in Palm Bay outside of shopping, restaurants, and going to the beach and most of the housing is not close to what clubs there are. It doesn't really feel urban, it feels like sprawling suburbs without an urban core. It is a very nice place to live though, the ecology in the area is truly unique and bigger cities like Orlando and Tampa are close enough for day trips. Cape Canaveral is nearby, you can see launches or take cruises from the port.

I've never been to CT, but i guarantee that there will be culture shock (and climate shock). Florida is very laid back and casual compared to other parts of the country. If you concentrate on enjoying all the area has to offer and don't waste your energy pining for CT it will be a much easier adjustment. You may want to consider returning to CT in the fall for your vacations so you can get your turning leaves fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County