Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Buddhists (non-Christian ones) go to hell?
Yes 38 12.18%
No 241 77.24%
I don't know. 33 10.58%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Ya know? Just once I think it would be nice if we just did what the Bible instructed and we preached the gospel but we left "who's going to hell and who's not?" in the hands of a just, merciful God.
But don't most Christians make it abundantly clear that non-Christians are going to burn in hell forever? This turns many non-Christians off to the "good news", and makes them think that most Christians need to re-examine what "good news" means.

I agree we should focus on the basic gospel...but no matter what, the "who's going to hell and who's not?" question always comes into play...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
?

If we do not experience punishment on earth for our sins that changes us and turns us away from wickedness, then we will experience it in the afterlife. That is also hell, which Jesus warned about. He said that people who do not help others, are not charitable, and show hatred rather than love will experience "age-lasting chastisement," a period of punishment after they die. This has traditionally been translated as "eternal punishment" or "eternal damnation" but that is NOT a correct translation of the original Greek text. The purpose of hell is to teach us a lesson so that we may grow up to be like Jesus -- sons of God, our Father in heaven. God only subjects us to suffering to make us grow and return to Him. It is not to torment us without end.

Did a quick search on that from a Greek lexicon...and I don't want to argue over doctrine since we are believers but I find this thought interesting. Eternal seems to mean eternal in the Greek.

Matthew 25:46 Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life

Original Word Word Origin
aijwvnio� from (165)

Transliterated Word

Aionios 1:208,31
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
ahee-o'-nee-os
Adjective

Definition
1. without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be
2. without beginning
3. without end, never to cease, everlasting

Old 06-26-2007, 03:48 PM

668 posts, read 681,783 times
SO AFTER EVERYONE HAS SEEN THIS FOR A COUPLE HOURS, STRANGE THAT NO ONE WILL OFFICIALLY STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND VOTE THAT NON-CHRISTIAN BUDDHISTS ARE GOING TO HELL.

ITS SETTLED. THE BUDDHISTS ARE IN!!!!!! YEA!!!
(they are very peaceful, nonjudgemental people you know)

Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Very good question! Would it really be justice and mercy to send these ignorant souls to eternal punishment? How can they have "gotten saved" if Jesus wasn't born yet?
Before Jesus there was God. No one is without excuse. I posted this on another thread...I hope it wasn't this one!

Romans 1:18-20
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

But I agree with KayKay...we should let God worry about who's going and who is not...since He's the only one who can see the hearts of those who believe/don't believe.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Romans 1:18-20
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
That's really a good passage to address this question. Naturally, it's not our place to decide who goes to heaven or hell. Our job is to tell people about Jesus so that they can come to know Him and be saved!

Nonetheless, what Paul is saying here is that God is evident to anyone who'll open their eyes/heart/mind enough to notice Him. His presence and majesty are clear in the things He made (Creation) such as mountains, oceans, the sun, moon, stars, etc.

So even a native of some far-off land who's never heard of Jesus in his life can still look up at the richly adorned night sky, marvel at the Author who created it all, and give Him due glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
SO AFTER EVERYONE HAS SEEN THIS FOR A COUPLE HOURS, STRANGE THAT NO ONE WILL OFFICIALLY STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND VOTE THAT NON-CHRISTIAN BUDDHISTS ARE GOING TO HELL.

ITS SETTLED. THE BUDDHISTS ARE IN!!!!!! YEA!!!
(they are very peaceful, nonjudgemental people you know)
That's because only God can judge the condition of that person's heart. We are not God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
So are you saying these people that lived before Christ that could not have possibly known Him will be punished for what they could not control?

Yep some are saying that.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Did a quick search on that from a Greek lexicon...and I don't want to argue over doctrine since we are believers but I find this thought interesting. Eternal seems to mean eternal in the Greek.

Matthew 25:46 Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life

Original Word Word Origin
aijwvnio� from (165)

Transliterated Word

Aionios 1:208,31
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
ahee-o'-nee-os
Adjective

Definition
1. without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be
2. without beginning
3. without end, never to cease, everlasting
Strong's Greek Dictionary defines "aion" as follows: "an age, perpetuity, the world, a Messianic period, course, eternal, forever, evermore, without end."

An age has a definate beginning and end!

Are these definitions good scholarship or religious bias? Imagine defining the word "white" like this: "white, WHITE LIGHT, bright, maximum lightness, brilliant, blanch, off-white, shaded, light gray, dark gray, between light and dark, dark gray, dark, COAL BLACK." Does anything see a problem with my definition of "white?" Does anyone see a problem with Strong's definition of "aion/aionios?" IT CONTRADICTS ITSELF.

The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (vol. IV, p. 643): Time: The O.T. and the N.T. are not acquainted with the conception of eternity as timelessness. The O.T. has not developed a special term for "eternity." The word aion originally meant "vital force," "life," then "age," "lifetime."

Elliot’s Commentary on the Whole Bible (Matt. 25:46(. Everlasting punishment--life eternal. The two adjectives represent the same Greek word, aionios—it must be admitted that the Greek word which is rendered "eternal" does not, in itself, involve endlessness, but rather, duration, whether through an age or succession of ages, and that it is therefore applied in the N.T. to periods of time that have had both a beginning and ending (Rom. 16:25).

I'm outta here for the day! Just when it's getting juicy in here, LOL.

I'll "see" you all tomorrow!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
That's really a good passage to address this question. Naturally, it's not our place to decide who goes to heaven or hell. Our job is to tell people about Jesus so that they can come to know Him and be saved!

Nonetheless, what Paul is saying here is that God is evident to anyone who'll open their eyes/heart/mind enough to notice Him. His presence and majesty are clear in the things He made (Creation) such as mountains, oceans, the sun, moon, stars, etc.

So even a native of some far-off land who's never heard of Jesus in his life can still look up at the richly adorned night sky, marvel at the Author who created it all, and give Him due glory.

Are you quoting Paul "Saul of Tarses" he killed many Christians, never met Christ, and then wrote a huge part of the new testament.

Yes, what else does he have to say???

Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
I hate to agree but I've read several books on Hitler, and what pladecalvo 's saying is essentially true. No slam on Catholicism, that (like the inquisition) was a long long time ago. Hitler was an ardent Christian, who justified many of his actions through religious dogma.
But being a Christian is not what gets you into heaven! Accepting Christ as Savior is what gets you into heaven. Big difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism