Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 PM

181 posts, read 217,801 times

Advertisements

Buddhism was derived from Hinduism. Now, there are three major branches: Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. From Mahayana come Zen, Pure Land, Nichiren, and Tendai. Now, which branch of Buddhism are you? How did you become affiliated with this branch? Did your parents raise you as Buddhist, or did you convert to Buddhism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
I appreciate and feel a kinship with ALL schools of Buddhism. I have attended temples and services of all the major mainstream denominations including Mahayana (Zen, Pure Land, and even Nichiren), Theravada (Sri Lankan and Thai), and Tibetan Vajrayana (I have traveled to Tibet). Even with the affection I have for the different schools of Buddhist thought I confess that Theravada is closest to my heart: I took Refuge in the Ti-Ratana in a Sri-Lankan Vihara in Queens, NY; and studied meditation in Thailand.

Why? I suppose the teachings of the Tathagata resonate with me, they strike me as historic and authentic, and the heavenly realms and divine otherwordly Buddhas and Bodhisattvas that ornament other denominations of Buddhism do not (in my way of thinking) improve on the basic tenents of The Four Noble Truths and THe Noble Eightfold Path.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:14 PM

995 posts, read 955,809 times
About 20 years ago I became enlightened to the boundlessness of the spirit in a very dramatic way. After that contemplation, my Chakras lit up very bright, one at a time for a couple weeks at a time, I experienced my totem animal (Raven), I started to learn spiritual gifts very rapidly, and I started to have very powerful, lucid, prophetic dreams night after night. I found the Bardo Thodol(The Tibetan Book Of The Dead) at the library researching lucid dreaming(before the internet), and the philosophies, teachings, and compassion became my mentor, and still does. It is the only thing that made me feel normal. The Bible only scared me even more than I already was. The Bardo Thodol was great because it taught me to have the attitude that it's normal to have these things happen, and it's not such a big deal, don't let it distract you from what you should be doing. The Bible made me stay in the closet about it.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
It was Walpola Rahula's book What the Buddha Taught, which I read as the last of a number of books during the most stressful time during the period that I was doing volunteer work during the AIDS epidemic, that moved me to actually investigate Buddhism.

Though it was the Theradavan Buddhism of the Nikayas that had attracted me, I began attending a Korean Zen center as it was only a short walk from my home. My own personal orientation remained Nikaya oriented, but I was a member of the Zen Center for a year and a half - maybe more, I guess. I liked practicing with others - found it helpful, and the teacher and community members were congenial. I also had a friend during this period who was very interested in Tibertan Buddhism, and several times we stayed a monastery north of NYC. Another friend of mine was a member of Nichiren Sho-shu America.

Sometime in the early or mid-Nineties I left the Zen center (very amicably) and no longer went to the Tibetan monastery. I began meeting with a very small meditation group led by a Burmese Theravadan monk, and otherwise meditating and reading in my home.

Where I live now there are a couple of small retreat centers up in the hills, and in the capital and in the north there is a nascent Theravadan monastic group. However, as far as any formal practice, this is done on my own in the mornings when I get up...and sometimes later in the day as well.

I find Daoism and some Ch'an/Zen interesting, and helpful, but it is the simplicity of the basic Theravadan practice based on the Pali Nikayas that I find keep me balanced. I feel as Clark Park wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
...Why? I suppose the teachings of the Tathagata resonate with me, they strike me as historic and authentic, and the heavenly realms and divine otherwordly Buddhas and Bodhisattvas that ornament other denominations of Buddhism do not (in my way of thinking) improve on the basic tenents of The Four Noble Truths and THe Noble Eightfold Path.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

It was Walpola Rahula's book What the Buddha Taught, which I read as the last of a number of books during the most stressful time during the period that I was doing volunteer work during the AIDS epidemic, that moved me to actually investigate Buddhism.
My best Buddhist friend here in Philly is a Zen Master and Priest, who is also an official Buddhist prison chaplain in the state penitentiaries. He is a man in his early 70's of Italian-American heritage from South Philly (very Rocky Balboa!) who has been living healthily while being HIV positive for over 30 years,

Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
I'm a solitary uninformed follower of the 8fold Path without a Sangha, and have no friends who are interested in the Dharma. I meditate regularly and read some buddhist books now and then but have no idea about different schools of Buddhism and feel intimidated by joining any group. I'm not a joiner, really, by nature.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
I'm a solitary uninformed follower of the 8fold Path without a Sangha, and have no friends who are interested in the Dharma. I meditate regularly and read some buddhist books now and then but have no idea about different schools of Buddhism and feel intimidated by joining any group. I'm not a joiner, really, by nature.
There are some similarities in our experience. I have a longstanding interest in history, so that probably accounts for the fact that I am inclined to "study" the development of Buddhism. I think that essentially I am not a joiner either, even in my social life...while I enjoy socializing, I am uncomfortable as soon it becomes a matter of clubs, etc. I did enjoy my time belonging to the Zen center. The friendships came at a needy time, but I did eventually find myself feeling uncomfortable with all the structure...like wearing a tee shirt that's too tight. That accounted for my turning to an informal meditation group, and in my present life my practice is solitary, though there is one Buddhist person who lives here part of the year and he and his wife are good friends.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
"Be a lamp unto yourself. Work diligently for your own salvation." - The Mahaparinibbana Sutta

Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 14,235 times
Quote:
Could you share with me what you saw in your mind when you were mediating. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 AM

307 posts, read 560,082 times
Default Branch of Buddhism

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDweller View Post
Buddhism was derived from Hinduism. Now, there are three major branches: Theravada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana. From Mahayana come Zen, Pure Land, Nichiren, and Tendai. Now, which branch of Buddhism are you? How did you become affiliated with this branch? Did your parents raise you as Buddhist, or did you convert to Buddhism?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
McDweller- I have studied and went through the motions of the practice as prescribed in each of the branches...except Nichiren and Vajrayana . My first teacher was a Theravada monk in Thailand...where I was stationed with the U.S. Army...many years ago. Then in college, I had a fascinating professor...who also happened to be a Buddhist monk and founder of a meditation center in Los Angeles. He is from Vietnam, a PhD in Oriental Philosophy. From him, I received formal teachings about ALL the branches of Buddhism. In Japan, while stationed there I studied Zen. And during my assignment in Korea..studied Son (Zen). During my visits to the Philippines and Taiwan...I was introduced into the Tien-tai (White Lotus School) tradition.

Although I appreciate and quite familiar with the major branches, I seem to be drawn towards the practice of the forest tradition...simple, and very serene approach to mindfulness practice; as taught and practiced by Ajahn Mun, Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Fuang, Ajahn Amaro..to mention a few. It is also convenient because where I live, there are no meditation centers nearby. The forest that surrounds my house is my meditation hall.

I am also drawn to the teachings and practice of Thich Nhat Hahn: Engaged Buddhism. It isn't enough that one goes through all the motions and rituals, meditations, chanting, devotions and supplications...one has to also get involved or engaged in helping others deal with mundane issues...social problems, personal dilemnas, tragedies, and just everyday human sufferings. One has to at least try his/her best.

To answer your other questions- I suppose I never really formally converted. I just kind of slipped into practicing Buddhism. All one needs to do is sincerely recite the 3 refuges. What's really important is how one applies the teachings in daily life. I was raised as a Catholic and schooled in Catholic schools. I really haven't abandoned Catholicism...only the rituals. I simply combined the good teachings in both religions to my own belief. Many similarities in both beliefs, I would think.

So there you are. I suppose I am a forest tradition and socially engaged Buddhist practitioner.

Last edited by FCStraight; 05-11-2014 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Added a statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism