Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times

Advertisements

i would love to read some of it if it exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:45 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,563 times
Tipitaka

It hasn't all be translated to english yet. At least I don't think so.

Remember that some of this stuff is written for the monks that were with the Buddha.
And may be much stricter than what is written for the lay Buddhist.

I’m not sure if the best place to start to learn about Buddhism is reading the Pali canon.
Look around the site and read some things about the teachings of the Buddha other than just straight translation of the pali canon.
Some things that you read may seem strange. You don’t have to take all of the writing literally.
And leave your mind open, some of us believe it laterally and others not. I take some of it laterally but not all. I think you’ll find Buddhists very forgiving since we are all on a slightly different path that still leads to the same place.
And some of this stuff you may not understand until you learn some meditation techniques. If you decide to go that far.
What ever you do, relax, have fun, don’t worry .

Last edited by Aeroman; 11-19-2007 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 03:52 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,192 times
There are many "sacred texts" but not so much of a Bible as Christians would define it.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i would love to read some of it if it exists.
The Bhagavad Gita or Song of God in english, is the indian bible, it's a beautiful story with an awesome message, it is also the most advanced psychology book ever written.

Thousands of years before our time, India already had a developed concept of the Psychology of self realization and liberation, way more advanced to western psychology who just focuses in the Ego, but not on the Soul.

The Bhagavad Gita is also the most awesome and complete treaty of the holy science of yoga.

Bhagavad Gita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you'd like a recommendation the most awesome version of the Bhagavad Gita (imho) is God talks to arjuna, an spiritual interpretation of the Bhagavad Gita by Paramahansa Yogananda.

Amazon.com: God Talks with Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita: Books: Paramahansa Yogananda

Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Thousands of years before our time, India already had a developed concept of the Psychology of self realization and liberation...
Do you think the members of the Dalit caste felt very liberated?

Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Do you think the members of the Dalit caste felt very liberated?
No, but you should read the book to understand why, there is something called Yugas.

And we are speaking of liberation from ego here, so maybe a dalit who's self realized feels very liberated indeed

Yuga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The traditional virtues accorded the highest value in the four epochs are:
  1. Satya Yuga or Krita Yuga: dhyana (meditation). In the highest yuga, the great majority of people can experience spirituality by direct intuitive realization of truth. The veil between the material and the transcendent realms becomes almost transparent. According to Natya Shastra, there are no Natya performances in the Krita Yuga because it is a period free from any kind of unhappiness or misery. Satya Yuga is also called the Golden Age.
  2. Treta Yuga: yajna (sacrifice). Treta Yuga is the mental age. Mental power is harnessed and men are in power, there are inventions that dissolve the illusion of time (inventions are characteristic of both Dvapara and Treta yugas.) Clairvoyance and telepathy are common knowledge.
  3. Dvapara Yuga: archana (worship). In Dvapara Yuga, science flourishes, people experience the spiritual in terms of subtle energies and rational choices, inventions are abundant, particularly those that dissolve the illusion of distance (between people and between things), and power is mostly in the hands of women. The end of this age (in the descending phase) is associated with the death of Krishna, and the events described in the Mahabharata.
  4. Kali Yuga: daana (alms). In the lowest epoch, Kali Yuga, most people are aware only of the physical aspects of existence, the predominant emphasis of living is material survival, and power is mostly in the hands of men. Men have no knowledge of electricity, magnetism or subtle forces of nature. People's relationship with the spiritual is governed predominantly by superstition and by authority.
An alternative view of the yuga cycle and timescale was taught by the 19th/20th-century Indian yogi Swami Sri Yukteswar Giri, guru of Paramahansa Yogananda.
In his book, The Holy Science, Sri Yukteswar explains that the descending phase of Satya Yuga lasts 4800 years, Treta Yuga 3600 years, Dwapara Yuga 2400 years, and Kali Yuga 1200 years. The ascending phase of Kali Yuga then begins, also lasting 1200 years; and so on. The ascending phase of Kali Yuga began in September of 499 AD. Since September 1699, we have been in the ascending phase of Dwapara Yuga, according to Sri Yukteswar.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times
Great thread!

For Hindus, there are numerous scriptures:

The Vedas:
The Rig-Veda
The Yajur-Veda
The Sama-Veda
The Atharva-Veda
The Upanishads (encapsulation of Hindu beliefs)

The Bhagavad Gita (analagous to the Christian new testament)

The Uddhava Gita (which Krishna spoke to Uddhava before he left the world)

The Puranas

The Ramayana

The Mahabharata (of which the Bhagavad Gita is one portion)

Old 11-20-2007, 02:09 PM

122 posts, read 347,102 times
Agreed, there are many scriptures. But my favorites are the Dhammapada ( Buddhist ) and the Bhagavad Gita ( Hindu ) of which I have a dozen or so translations with commentaries. But my all time favorite is the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali ( of which I have over 30 translations with commentaries ). Don't know if Hindu's consider that a scripture or a classic or nothing at all, but to me it is quite profound. I find "wisdom" in most all the scriptures of various faiths.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bels7 View Post
Agreed, there are many scriptures. But my favorites are the Dhammapada ( Buddhist ) and the Bhagavad Gita ( Hindu ) of which I have a dozen or so translations with commentaries. But my all time favorite is the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali ( of which I have over 30 translations with commentaries ). Don't know if Hindu's consider that a scripture or a classic or nothing at all, but to me it is quite profound. I find "wisdom" in most all the scriptures of various faiths.
Patanjali's Yoga sutras are the basis of Yoga, the holy science, they are one of the most important pearls of wisdom that ancient India gave to men.

Yoga it's called the holy science because it's the only science developed to understand God and get back to him.

The Bhagavad Gita is a treaty on yoga too, about the ancient art of training and rousing the holy warriors of the soul (the pandus) against the armies of the ego (the kurus)

This is done by introspection, meditation and unselfish action.

That is the true meaning of the battle of kurukshetras.

It is the battle between king soul and the rebel king ego.

We all have an arjuna inside us, waiting for Krsna (god or the christ consciousness in man) to guide us on our path to self realization!

God bless India, the ancient and holy land of aryavarta, and all the pearls it has given to the world.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 PM

609 posts, read 2,243,161 times
To get the essence of the vedic religion, the easiest book should be Bhagvad Gita. This was supposed to be the consise edition of the vedic knowledge.
One step above and you have to read the Srimad Bhagvatam. This is more detailed in that the principles are explained in more detail. Very difficult to understand and read though people have claimed to have found new meaning in verses when going the second, third round.

The Vedas were the original collection of divine wisedom but since we are in the age of Kali (Kali yug) where peoples memory spans are shorter, Bhagvad Gita is the best book to read in this day and age. By "read", I mean read and learn and use it in day to day life.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality