Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times

Advertisements

Now that we are getting settled into Big City USA SOme friends from my sons school are making visits to us in our new house. they are of Indian descent and really nice fun people. They come up to go to a Hindu Temple every so often they invited us to go.
I have never been to one, I would not know what to expect or do, Hindu rated 9 out of 27 on my BeliefOMatic survey though, AND I would love the food no doubt.
Very nice gesture on their part to invite us to be included with their family in something that obviously means a lot to them.
I also doubt I will have people of Indian descent showing up at my house saying "Please convert now thank you" as a result....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM

82 posts, read 117,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Now that we are getting settled into Big City USA SOme friends from my sons school are making visits to us in our new house. they are of Indian descent and really nice fun people. They come up to go to a Hindu Temple every so often they invited us to go.
I have never been to one, I would not know what to expect or do, Hindu rated 9 out of 27 on my BeliefOMatic survey though, AND I would love the food no doubt.
Very nice gesture on their part to invite us to be included with their family in something that obviously means a lot to them.
I also doubt I will have people of Indian descent showing up at my house saying "Please convert now thank you" as a result....
I have never seen or heard such thing. But,they will feed you for sure. :-D They dont care what your beliefs are. They respect all.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Hindus do not try to convert others and certainly will not show up at your house asking you to convert.

Temples are interesting. You may enjoy both the art and the food. Ceremonies are generally in Sanskrit, so you will probably not understand what is being said. The music will be very different to your ear as well.

Go and enjoy! If you are going for a festival rather than a service, you will be participating in the dancing and eating and fun.

Attending a Hindu Religious Service - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Video of a garba

Garba -

Diwali Celebration

Diwali - Festival of Lights - YouTube

Holi Celebration

Holi. Festival of Colors. 2012 - YouTube

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
thanks for the links to the videos. I would go above all else to spend time with my friend, but yes I would love the food.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:25 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Hindus will never try to convert you because they believe that everyone's path to enlightenment is their own business. (one of the things I *really* like about Hindus).

Go and enjoy yourself. You might decide to convert without any persuading at all. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
thanks for the links to the videos. I would go above all else to spend time with my friend, but yes I would love the food.
My dil is Indian and we had a lovely Hindu wedding. The culture is very different and learning about it is great fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality