Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,734,592 times

Advertisements

In the human realm we experience both suffering and luxury, but at a more moderate level compared to the other realms. This explains why the human realm has the right conditions to practice the spiritual path. Choosing the middle path is one of the teachings taught by the Buddha. He has taught us that to give up the extremes, austerity and luxury, is right conduct. To give up the concepts of eternalism and nihilism is right view. He taught us in meditation to abide in tranquility, free from the tension of too much focus or agitation, and not to be lost in the ecstasy of relaxation. In other words, balance is required to recognize and abide in our true inner self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
In the human realm we experience both suffering and luxury, but at a more moderate level compared to the other realms. This explains why the human realm has the right conditions to practice the spiritual path. Choosing the middle path is one of the teachings taught by the Buddha. He has taught us that to give up the extremes, austerity and luxury, is right conduct. To give up the concepts of eternalism and nihilism is right view. He taught us in meditation to abide in tranquility, free from the tension of too much focus or agitation, and not to be lost in the ecstasy of relaxation. In other words, balance is required to recognize and abide in our true inner self.
If you mean something like this; give me firmness without hardness, steadfastness without dogmatism, and love without weakness, patience without foolishness, honor without blindness, faith without presumption, hope without worry.... then I would agree.

Jesus teaches the "narrow path" not the middle path. He teaches us... by the dying of self, we will find life through submission ( loving yield) to his atoning work upon the cross. Jesus tell us if we are "luke warm" in our beliefs, He will spit us out. Salt and light is a example of "balance" to a Christian.

Jesus teaches not to seek temporal things of this world, but seek to store up eternal rewards from our heavenly Father, for what good is it to have the whole world and lose your soul. He also reminds us... do not meerly listen to the words... do what it says.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,835,476 times
When I think of Buddha, I picture a guy who obviously enjoyed his share of Asian cooking and is relaxing in a comfortable posture with a smile on his face.

When I picture Jesus, I see a bleeding dead guy nailed to a stick.

If I were looking for a "Path" to follow I think I would be more inclined to take the one that got Buddha where he ended up rather than the one that Jesus chose.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When I think of Buddha, I picture a guy who obviously enjoyed his share of Asian cooking and is relaxing in a comfortable posture with a smile on his face.

When I picture Jesus, I see a bleeding dead guy nailed to a stick.

If I were looking for a "Path" to follow I think I would be more inclined to take the one that got Buddha where he ended up rather than the one that Jesus chose.
Both are valid paths, IMO, if one finds comfort in them.

For the record, the "fat" Buddha we're used to seeing in the West is not the Buddha on which the Buddhist religion is based. The fat guy is Hotei, an iconic figure that's based on a Chinese Buddhist monk who lived several centuries after Siddhartha Gautama, the Indian prince on whose teachings Buddhism was founded.

Zenwind: The Buddha is NOT Hotei, the fat laughing monk
Budai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,318 times
Quote:
I think Buddha had a lot of interesting things to say, and some of which I agree with. There definitely needs to be a balance within one's life. Solomon was alive quite some time before Buddha, and his testimony in the book of Ecclessiastes about this balance of life is mirrored in a lot of Buddhist doctrines. But despite this balance, the main problem I have with Buddhist doctrine as a whole are two things.

1) It seems to have an overemphasis on exalting the individual's needs over others needs.

2) There is no one source of Truth in Buddhism. Everyone determines Truth for themselves.

This is what leads Buddhism to be a dangerous doctrine, as it glorifies all kinds of evil behaviors that we know aren't beneficial(spiritually, naturally, etc) - simply because a man has the right to glorify himself with such behaviors.

Now that doesn't mean that all Buddhists will engage in evil behaviors, as some have really good moral compasses. It does mean that the doctrine as a whole is something that should be taken with much caution(particularly by Christians) when trying to compare it to the Truth of God's word.

Last edited by simpleton; 01-28-2008 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Grammar..:)

Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
the main problem I have with Buddhist doctrine as a whole are two things.

1) It seems to have an overemphasis on exalting the individual's needs over others needs.

2) There is no one source of Truth in Buddhism. Everyone determines Truth for themselves.
Well, on the first point, it depends on how you look at it. Buddhism encourages you to focus on yourself, through meditation and following the dharma, so that you can then more effectively spread lovingkindness and compassion. Once you've overcome your suffering, you can then show others how to do the same. I do acknowledge your point, though, and in fact a knock against Theravada Buddhism for centuries has been that it's too reclusive and self-focused. That was one of the (many) things that gave rise to other schools of Buddhism in the first place, such as the Mahayana, which holds up the bodhisattva ideal -- you delay your own enligtenment to remain in the world and help lead others to the dharma.

To the second point, the dharma is regarded as "truth," inasmuch as the Buddha taught that following the dharma would lead to an end of our suffering. The difference in Buddhism from other religions is that the Buddha taught people that they had to arrive at that "truth" on their own. There was no magic wand to wave, no magic spells to recite ... just personal diligence, and a willingness to test the teachings out for oneself, to see if they worked.

Quote:
This is what leads Buddhism to be a dangerous doctrine, as it glorifies all kinds of evil behaviors that we know aren't beneficial(spiritually, naturally, etc) - simply because a man has the right to glorify himself with such behaviors.

Now that doesn't mean that all Buddhists will engage in evil behaviors, as some have really good moral compasses. It does mean that the doctrine as a whole is something that should be taken with much caution(particularly by Christians) when trying to compare it to the Truth of God's word.
I don't think Buddhism has much to be feared. Lots of people adopt Buddhist practices without ever leaving their own religious traditions. And, of course, no war has ever been fought in the Buddha's name.

As for self-glorification ... well, Buddhism is too humble for that. And besides, if there is no self, how can you glorify it?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,690 times
Quote:
how do you know the other realms suffering and luxury rate. we chose this realm because of the suffering and luxury. we live in a realm of time, matter, and emotions. which are all causes for suffering and luxury. our realm is suffering and luxury. its got its benifits in its luxury as it feels good. the suffering probably even feels good too. it feels. only a select few have the ability to follow the "spiritual path" in this realm. i don't even believe that following the spiritual path is the main point. its experience the path is just where you go when you want to leave. but life is beautiful. i hope ive experience everything before i peace.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,734,592 times
In some of the Sutras we find that the Buddha also taught beings of the other realms. For example, the last part of the Heart Sutra reads, “the teachings of the Baghavan were praised and appreciated by the audience of gods, humans, demi-gods, and scent eaters.” This clearly explains that there are other beings that can practice the Mahayana teachings, but the human realm is the best support. In the other realms, beings are suffering so much that they are not able to develop any sense of practicing the Dharma. And in the higher realms the luxury and prosperity distract those beings from looking for inner peace.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 AM

131 posts, read 312,880 times
Quote:
In the human realm we experience both suffering and luxury.
Quote:
He has taught us that to give up the extremes, austerity and luxury, is right conduct.
Does that not just leave us with the suffering? Whats the point in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism