Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:10 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,077 times

Advertisements

Thus, the suffering of everyone
Should be dispelled, and here there's no debate.
To free myself from pain means freeing all;
Contrariwise, I suffer with the pain of beings.
-from the Bodhicharyavatara by Shantideva

We might think, "If I meditate on compassion and think of the suffering of others, it will only add to the intense pain I already have." We only think like this because we are narrow-minded. If we do not want to help beings, then their suffering will be endless. But if we can develop a little compassion and make an effort to dispel the suffering of others, then that suffering will have an end. Without our taking the responsibility to help others, there can be no limit to suffering. When we develop a broad mind and feel compassion for others, this is vastly beneficial. Any small difficulties we might experience are worthwhile.
--from A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night by Tenzin Gyatso, His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, translated by The Padmakara Translation Group, Foreword by Tulku Pema Wangyal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 04:57 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
Kerby,

In what way do you think Buddha wishes us to despell the sufferings of others?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Default Meditation

We have many different meditational practices where you are able to help someone else who is suffering. The original post is saying we should not be afraid to bring a little of the suffering that others may have in order to help them. You would be surprised at how effective these practices are. We must always exercise compassion for others.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,355,911 times
How do buddhists exercise compassion for others?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:11 AM

Smile Practicing compassion...

You can practice compassion in many ways. You could start by chanting the mantra of compassion Om Mani Padme Hum. You can even do this silently if you wish. You will notice how more compassionate you've become just after doing this for a while. You can meditate on compassion i.e.
doing for others , always dedicate your prayers and your merit for the benefit of others. Always try to be mindful of others and help whenever you are able.
The more compassion you give in your life for others the better your life will become. A selfish person who runs out of things to give says..."I don't have anything left for me." A compassionate person says "I don't have anything left to give. "

Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
How do buddhists exercise compassion for others?
By following The Eightfold Path.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Thanks June 7th

Absolutely.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
You can practice compassion in many ways. You could start by chanting the mantra of compassion Om Mani Padme Hum. You can even do this silently if you wish.
I'm sure the hungry homeless people living under the freeway will appreciate all this compassion that you're growing within yourself.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Lightbulb You do not understand

If you have the ability to comprehend the above posts you'll see that everything we do is for the benefit of others including those homeless
under a bridge. We dedicate the merit of our practice to all beings.
I also do help the homeless whenever I am able as I would hope that
you do as well.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
I also do help the homeless whenever I am able as I would hope that you do as well.
Well no, I don't.

But, now that I know that I can do it by sitting on the floor and talking to myself, maybe I will become more compassionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism