Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:45 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would tend to agree regarding the immediate area around Spaulding Fiber. I get the impression it is not too bad, but it doesn't look like the best driving thru. However, compared to the bad areas of the city of Buffalo, it doesn't even compare.

BTW, you may be interested to know that the Spaulding Fiber plant is no more. The started tearing it down last year, and are now working on remediation of the land. I do not know what is in store for the property, but the plant is all gone!
I had heard that, they took the smoke stack down awhile ago, I guess for safety reasons. Alot of history at that plant. It was at one point, the largest employer, and tax base for the city. They made among many things, asbestos cake. I can remember as a kid, the smoke pouring out of the stack, the entire area around the plant smelled of sulfur. Although the grounds around the plant were well groomed, it was still a big eyesore. The plant had been bought out and closed down, it was a very old plant to begin with. I had an aunt who lived on Wheeler for a short time, not a nice place to raise a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Wow, my grandparents owned a home on Murray Terrace when I was growing up, right near that plant. I know it well.

My father and I always wondered if they had buried chemicals in barrels underground on that site.

It was really an eyesore in an otherwise VERY nice area, very quiet.
I havn't heard anything about chemicals being buried on-site. However, I would not doubt that after (guessing) 20 years of being closed, the site still has contaminated soil of some sort. There have been photographers, that have gone through there. The entire site is in shambles, pools of water the size of ponds, everywhere. The roof is caving in, old walkways, entrances and offices remain, in piles of dirt and rust.

obscureplaces.org - Photography by Dan Dockery

There is a better gallery out somewhere.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 PM

46 posts, read 134,358 times
Well I lived in South Buffalo for a while and I loved it, still wish I was there. I lived on Southside pkwy and while the area doesn't loko spectacular it's close to the Botanical Gardens and Caz Park. I don't know about crime but I NEVER had a problem. I was never threatened or felt violated or anything. They have a cute cafe called Caz Cafe and it has a little book shop attached to it. It's close the the McKinnley st, well where I lived which has beautiful houses and i've walked late down that street so many times just because its so nice (plus a friend lived on Aldridge and that's like a 25 minute walk, depending of course. Chicken and Pizza works is pretty close and has some of the best tasting pizza sauce in my eyes. You're close to Southpark high school so I guess there's a lot of high schoolers in that area too. The bus system is great to it all leads to downtown and you can catch pretty much every bus (or the train) from there to wherever you need to go. The place I stayed at was a house that had 5 apartments in it, not an apartment complex either. My hubby and I were newlyweds so we took the studio in the attack area which is more like a one bedroom than a studio, kitchen was a good size and so was the living room plus has an extra storage room. Our rent was like $450 and included all utilities. Came wit ha small fridge and stove. So from personal experience I enjoyed that area a lot. There are tons of pizza places nearby and a bowling alley plus the bus route takes you to downtown which is awesome. The Botanical Gardens is where we got married and is beautiful, Caz Park is nice and usually a carnival is there every year-I think they do fire works for the fourth of July. Oh and the 14 bus goes to the Mckinlley mall too which is right off Abbot st.

But there were some streets in South Buffalo that I wouldn't stay at, i'm sorry I don't remember the names. But the ones I lived near that wasn't bad (for me and I moved only about 6 months ago) was Kenefick Ave, Mckinnley, Southside, and Como st. Those are also close to an HSBC bank and TOPs supermarket. Hope that helps Oh and i'm 24, not sure how old you are. I noticed a lot of elderly more worried about security and safety and their views on it are different than mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area