Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,221 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to buffalo area, but just don't know in which town I should rent apartment. I live in New Jersey, and just got job in buffalo, near university of buffalo, on Bailey avenue. I am gonna be by myself, so I want to rent an apartment which is safe, just incase if I come late during night from work. I looked for apartment in Kenmore, Amherst, Grand island, Tonawanda, Orchard park, cheektowa,and Lockport. Lockport has cheaper apartment,but don't know it is safe or not?
Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,434 times
sonishruti,
All the places you mentioned are safe by most standards of measure. What is your price range? Aside from safety, what is important to you in your new place?
Just based on the list of towns, Orchard Park and Lockport are the longest commute to UB South... The bridges make GI irritating, IMO. Cheektowaga has some less than desirable neighborhoods near East Side of Buffalo primarily. So of your list, I'd say Amherst, Kenmore and Tonawanda are best to concentrate on. You may also enjoy living in the city itself, since you'll be working in it. There is some nice rental stock in the Parkside area. Elmwood Village for active nightlife and younger crowd.
Make sure you're using Craigslist, in addition to any "apartmentfinder" sites. CL will have more non-corporate owned places (i.e. not complexes)
Thanks!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 13,221 times
Thank you. I am looking for studio/one bed room apartment. around $500-$700.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
UB South on Bailey ave is right on the boarder of the ghetto. It is also on the boarder of Amherst, which is rated as one of the safest cities in the country year after year.

If you are going to working at UB, with your budget you could get a nice place in the Town of Tonawanda, and you would be very close to work but in a very safe area.

If you want to live south, West Seneca and Orchard Park are two suburbs that are a very short drive to UB South.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
Lockport is a decent area. There are only a couple areas that I would recommend staying away from, one is the apartments on Dysigner. There are . couple streets near the "downtown" area, that side of Washburn for example. The apartments off of Straus (spelling) rd can be kind of mixed, but I would necessarily stay away from them. There are some apartments near the Niagara County golf course that area decent, Tudor lane, etc.

Lockport is set apart from Niagara Falls and Buffalo a little bit, many commute to goto work. The drive is not terrible unless you drive long distances on Transit rd. Really this is the only downside. The city is safe, but not rich. Good community with good people.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,225 times
Lockport to Downtown Buffalo 35 minutes, Lockport to Crosspoint Business Park 10 minutes, Lockport to UB Amherst 15 minutes.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
All those locations are safe. However, your probably going to be closer in the Tonawanda, Amherst, and Cheektowaga areas.

That said, if I was looking for a studio or one bedroom, I might look in the city of tonawanda or North tonawanda near the canal/river. It is a great area if you like to be outside. The riverwalk there is great for walking, running, biking, skating. Lots of free concerts all summer at Gateway park. It has a little bit more going on than some other areas.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
All those locations are safe. However, your probably going to be closer in the Tonawanda, Amherst, and Cheektowaga areas.

That said, if I was looking for a studio or one bedroom, I might look in the city of tonawanda or North tonawanda near the canal/river. It is a great area if you like to be outside. The riverwalk there is great for walking, running, biking, skating. Lots of free concerts all summer at Gateway park. It has a little bit more going on than some other areas.
I would recommend Tonawanda over Lockport, much closer to everything. It is a great little city, and has really cleaned itself up over the years. It had been a dumpy ex-industrial town when I grew up. The park system they created is grand, with the river/canal, festivals and proximity to Buffalo, you can't go wrong.

If you do look for a place, I would stay away from the streets around the old Spaulding Fiber plant, ie Wheeler st. Fillmore st in Gastown wasn't always the greatest when I was growing up either, the city has their trucks going in and out there, and there is a scrap yard on that st. Broad, or Adam would be good, you can walk to the river from either one. Niagara faces the river, if you can find something you will have a happy summer, it can get a little windy in the winter however, there is nothing to block it there. East Niagara in Gastown faces the canal, again a nice area against the water, not as windy as the area next to the river. Both have the bike trail going through it.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I would recommend Tonawanda over Lockport, much closer to everything. It is a great little city, and has really cleaned itself up over the years. It had been a dumpy ex-industrial town when I grew up. The park system they created is grand, with the river/canal, festivals and proximity to Buffalo, you can't go wrong.

If you do look for a place, I would stay away from the streets around the old Spaulding Fiber plant, ie Wheeler st. Fillmore st in Gastown wasn't always the greatest when I was growing up either, the city has their trucks going in and out there, and there is a scrap yard on that st. Broad, or Adam would be good, you can walk to the river from either one. Niagara faces the river, if you can find something you will have a happy summer, it can get a little windy in the winter however, there is nothing to block it there. East Niagara in Gastown faces the canal, again a nice area against the water, not as windy as the area next to the river. Both have the bike trail going through it.
I would tend to agree regarding the immediate area around Spaulding Fiber. I get the impression it is not too bad, but it doesn't look like the best driving thru. However, compared to the bad areas of the city of Buffalo, it doesn't even compare.

BTW, you may be interested to know that the Spaulding Fiber plant is no more. The started tearing it down last year, and are now working on remediation of the land. I do not know what is in store for the property, but the plant is all gone!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:21 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would tend to agree regarding the immediate area around Spaulding Fiber. I get the impression it is not too bad, but it doesn't look like the best driving thru. However, compared to the bad areas of the city of Buffalo, it doesn't even compare.

BTW, you may be interested to know that the Spaulding Fiber plant is no more. The started tearing it down last year, and are now working on remediation of the land. I do not know what is in store for the property, but the plant is all gone!
Wow, my grandparents owned a home on Murray Terrace when I was growing up, right near that plant. I know it well.

My father and I always wondered if they had buried chemicals in barrels underground on that site.

It was really an eyesore in an otherwise VERY nice area, very quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area