Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 7,703 times

Advertisements

Hey,

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Buffalo in the very near future. Gonna be renting an appartment.

I've looked into some of the areas people have said are relatively safe neighborhoods. In particular we are looking for a neighborhood north of the city.

Areas I've noticed people are recommending are Kenmore, Tonawanda, Amherst. Is there any consensus on if any are definitively safer than the others?

Are there any other areas north of the city that are relatively safe neighborhoods that we should look into?

Are there job opportunities located within the communities themselves or is the majority of employment located downtown?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM

207 posts, read 501,200 times
Crime is on the rise in Kenmore, but still safe. Tonawanda is working class, and always moderately low crime. There is no argument that Amherst has the lowest crime rate by any measure. You'd also be safe in areas like Orchard Park, Hamburg, West Seneca, and East Aurora.

Really, as long as you are outside of Buffalo you're fine. This area is like pretty much any other, near the city crime gets worse, further away it drops off. What's your budget? Apartments are shockingly expensive, especially in Amherst (new builds start at around $950 for non Section 8 complexes)

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM

We are looking to rent a 1 bedroom place. Not necessarily needing to be new.

I've seen alot of listings around 600-700/month for a 1 bedroom, which I feel is around where our budget is.

Would places listed at these rates still relatively nice, because it seems that there are also listings that can go well below this into the 400-500/month range where you would probably be suspicious of either their condition or neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Someday View Post
Crime is on the rise in Kenmore, but still safe. Tonawanda is working class, and always moderately low crime. There is no argument that Amherst has the lowest crime rate by any measure. You'd also be safe in areas like Orchard Park, Hamburg, West Seneca, and East Aurora.

Really, as long as you are outside of Buffalo you're fine. This area is like pretty much any other, near the city crime gets worse, further away it drops off. What's your budget? Apartments are shockingly expensive, especially in Amherst (new builds start at around $950 for non Section 8 complexes)
What about North Park, Parkside, Starin Central, Elmwood Village/Strip/Delaware District, Allentown and parts of South Buffalo?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 AM

719 posts, read 1,554,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk87 View Post
Hey,

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to Buffalo in the very near future. Gonna be renting an appartment.

I've looked into some of the areas people have said are relatively safe neighborhoods. In particular we are looking for a neighborhood north of the city.

Areas I've noticed people are recommending are Kenmore, Tonawanda, Amherst. Is there any consensus on if any are definitively safer than the others?

Are there any other areas north of the city that are relatively safe neighborhoods that we should look into?

Are there job opportunities located within the communities themselves or is the majority of employment located downtown?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Peter,
The towns you listed are all good choices. Amherst is rated near the top in the nation in safety nearly every yr. It was 6th in 2010.
There are many companies located in Amherst and many people both work and live there. That said, a commute from Amherst to downtown for work is an easy one (20 min most days)
If you prefer a more urban area, try checking out Elmwood area. Lot's of 20 & 30 somethings. Lot's of good restaurants, nightlife and eclectic shops. In the city but still pretty safe.
You might want to provide some additional details on your wants & needs. The board will be able to help more if we know what your "ideal" place would be. Maybe also info on where you're coming from.
Best of luck to you!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk87 View Post
We are looking to rent a 1 bedroom place. Not necessarily needing to be new.

I've seen alot of listings around 600-700/month for a 1 bedroom, which I feel is around where our budget is.

Would places listed at these rates still relatively nice, because it seems that there are also listings that can go well below this into the 400-500/month range where you would probably be suspicious of either their condition or neighborhood.
It can really vary depending upon the specific area you are looking at but $600-$700 is usually going to be in a decent/safe area, its the $300-$400 places that you'll want to avoid. That being said I doubt you are going to find many rentals in a place like Williamsville or even the better parts of Amherst for $600 but they will be everywhere in places like Kenmore, Hamburg, West Seneca, Cheektowaga & Tonawanda (all of which are safe suburbs except for the area of Cheektowaga that borders the East Buffalo hood). When we first moved here we payed $650 for a 3br duplex in a very safe & quiet neighborhood in Hamburg (and that was only a few years ago).

Last edited by jblake78728; 03-30-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 10:33 AM

60 posts, read 177,222 times
I think you can definitely find nice (albeit smaller) apartments for 400-500 per month, as long as you are not in the city. For safety in the city, the rents are much more, around 700-800+.

Amherst for a while was Americas most safe city. I think it is number 2 right now. North Lancaster and Williamsville are near there and Im sure you could get a great place for 500-600 per month.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Peter,
The towns you listed are all good choices. Amherst is rated near the top in the nation in safety nearly every yr. It was 6th in 2010.
There are many companies located in Amherst and many people both work and live there. That said, a commute from Amherst to downtown for work is an easy one (20 min most days)
If you prefer a more urban area, try checking out Elmwood area. Lot's of 20 & 30 somethings. Lot's of good restaurants, nightlife and eclectic shops. In the city but still pretty safe.
You might want to provide some additional details on your wants & needs. The board will be able to help more if we know what your "ideal" place would be. Maybe also info on where you're coming from.
Best of luck to you!
It's just the two of us, so we really aren't going to need a huge place.

Our primary wants are:

- A safe neighborhood
- Within our 600-700/month budget.
- A neighborhood with either job opportunities in the area itself, or within a commutable distance
- Available public transit (rail, bus or subway for commuting to work)

Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
The OP pointed out that they were looking for north of the city. I would recommend checking out Grand Island, if a little traffic isn't too much for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area