Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 12:37 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,498 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone realizes this but the Black Rock section of Amherst St. in Buffalo is having a bit of a renaissance. The neighborhood has recently seen a new art gallery open up as well as some other shops. Mark Goldman who has been the author of a couple of books regarding Buffalo as well as an established Bar owner and Restauranteer just opened the Black Rock Restaurant and Bar at 491 Amherst St. I went to their friends and family night the other day and was really impressed by the menu. I ended up ordering Roasted Chicken, Broccoli and these amazing little fried potato buttons. They offer a full bar and a great little atmosphere. I recommend anyone looking for a new place to eat...check this place out.

http://s337638477.onlinehome.us/

Last edited by mikesuicide; 07-28-2011 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
Hope they serve better food than his past restuarants. The one he has/had on Chippewa was godawful. He seems to exemplify the phrase; jack of all trades, master of none.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
Hope they serve better food than his past restuarants. The one he has/had on Chippewa was godawful. He seems to exemplify the phrase; jack of all trades, master of none.
Exemplify? He owns restuarants and bars...how is that a jack of all? Give the guy a break, at least he is taking a chance where no one else will.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
I get so tired of these pretentious artsy fartsy hipster types going into "cool" upcoming areas and hoping they get validated. Black Rock? Bring back the kielbasa! I know that section.. .don't need no tatooed dudes from downstate via the SUNY route messin with our geography. We're not Tribeca in training!!

Not saying that's what your friend is or is doing..dont know squat about him.

I just get so sick and tired of reading about the flippers, and the guys that ruined Allentown and other areas trying to "hip-notize" Buffalo. Look at how they ruined Elmwood "Village"-a vast wasteland of bad retail ...way too much attitude not to mention overpriced and pretentious filled with clueless twentysomethings paying outrageous rents cause they don't know better. It used to be more "honest". all the good places had to leave cuz they couldn't pony up to the real estate robber barrons...But nobody seems to remember

Back to Black Rock....leave it to its glorious squalor will ya? It's still beautiful! please don't elmwoodize it... hell, the place was famous for being hardcore saloon heaven...they drank boiler makers all night, then get mean drunk on the sidewalk at 3 am after a day rolling steel in the factory..blue collar all the way..now that's Buffalo and THAT is cool

Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
I get so tired of these pretentious artsy fartsy hipster types going into "cool" upcoming areas and hoping they get validated. Black Rock? Bring back the kielbasa! I know that section.. .don't need no tatooed dudes from downstate via the SUNY route messin with our geography. We're not Tribeca in training!!

Not saying that's what your friend is or is doing..dont know squat about him.

I just get so sick and tired of reading about the flippers, and the guys that ruined Allentown and other areas trying to "hip-notize" Buffalo. Look at how they ruined Elmwood "Village"-a vast wasteland of bad retail ...way too much attitude not to mention overpriced and pretentious filled with clueless twentysomethings paying outrageous rents cause they don't know better. It used to be more "honest". all the good places had to leave cuz they couldn't pony up to the real estate robber barrons...But nobody seems to remember

Back to Black Rock....leave it to its glorious squalor will ya? It's still beautiful! please don't elmwoodize it... hell, the place was famous for being hardcore saloon heaven...they drank boiler makers all night, then get mean drunk on the sidewalk at 3 am after a day rolling steel in the factory..blue collar all the way..now that's Buffalo and THAT is cool
Time to leave the industrial areas the way they were... Kielbasa and pirogi and beef on weck and no silly "plating" is right! Forget the gentirfication.

The Elmwood strip wasn't a strip when I went to college. And we paid ridiculous rents per student to landlords who demanded it because they could....( we moved to our first apt. in Kenmore and then out here to a house!). No fancy, no snotty... and Chippewa was drunks and female streetwalk*ers ... girls just didn't walk there.

I wonder if anyone under 45 has a clue what Buffalo was like?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Time to leave the industrial areas the way they were... Kielbasa and pirogi and beef on weck and no silly "plating" is right! Forget the gentirfication.

The Elmwood strip wasn't a strip when I went to college. And we paid ridiculous rents per student to landlords who demanded it because they could....( we moved to our first apt. in Kenmore and then out here to a house!). No fancy, no snotty... and Chippewa was drunks and female streetwalk*ers ... girls just didn't walk there.

I wonder if anyone under 45 has a clue what Buffalo was like?
I would say under 30, I'm in my late 30's I clearly remember the industrial Buffalo of my childhood. I even remember Chippawa pre-Mark Goldman. Friends of mine in High School used to walk past hookers to get into the Continental with their fake ID's!

Don't worry about gentrification, blue collar whites will always have South Buffalo. Black Rock hit rock bottom recently and I'm happy to see it on the upswing, most of the blue-collar culture it had was nearly gone anyways. Old Taverns like Meisters is gone and some of the old churches like St. Florians converted to other uses. I see the neighborhood being saved just in the nick of time before the housing abandonment would have started.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM

AAHHHH! Meisters was special!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
AAHHHH! Meisters was special!
Loved that chicken in the basket at Meisters as a kid! My mother said that Nortel's on Hertel is still open at least a few days a week, old school Buffalo taverns at their best!

Sad to see that St. Florian's is now a evangelical church, my parents were married there and many other relatives were baptized there. I also remember my mother and Grandmother taking me to bingo there, the haze of cigarette smoke in the bingo hall and the taste of grape Black Rock pop will forever stick in my mind!

Even though I grew up on Grand Island, I often stayed with my uncle and grandmother who lived in the neighborhood and got experience a little bit of the "old neighborhood".

Old 08-02-2011, 02:41 PM

you guys sound like a bunch of bitter old jerks. Why is it when someone tries to accomplish something and revitalize a neighborhood its always met with some snide, cranky negative remark? I'm not 45, and i remember full well what the city was like, and I will take the improvements anyday of the week. I would bet money NONE of you actually live in the neighborhoods you are slamming. 'Honest' neighborhood...what the *&%# does that even mean? really...you guys are pathetic. Allentown, the Elmwood Village and soon Blackrock are more viabrant and full of life then they have been in a real long time. Buffalo Transplant, you sound like you were happy with the hookers...they can still be found in the back of Artvoice...go call them, maybe it will ease your bitterness...in the meantime anyone who actually gets out of the house should try the place.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
you guys sound like a bunch of bitter old jerks. Why is it when someone tries to accomplish something and revitalize a neighborhood its always met with some snide, cranky negative remark? I'm not 45, and i remember full well what the city was like, and I will take the improvements anyday of the week. I would bet money NONE of you actually live in the neighborhoods you are slamming. 'Honest' neighborhood...what the *&%# does that even mean? really...you guys are pathetic. Allentown, the Elmwood Village and soon Blackrock are more viabrant and full of life then they have been in a real long time. Buffalo Transplant, you sound like you were happy with the hookers...they can still be found in the back of Artvoice...go call them, maybe it will ease your bitterness...in the meantime anyone who actually gets out of the house should try the place.
No one said you need to like what people are discussing. "Pathetic" is when you need to read Artvoice to decide if the place is "hip" enough to visit and if the neighborhood rates on the "vibrant" scale. Most of us who are talking about the neighborhoods grew up in them (like my husband) or lived in them (like I did on Ashland when in college when it was slumlords) before the area had anything 'hip' in it. Reality check time for you./.. give it 30 or 40 years and you will see it differently..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area