Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:42 PM

17 posts, read 59,091 times

Advertisements

We are a family of life long Texans coming to Buffalo area for vacation, and job interviews with the possibility of moving there. I wanted to ask where we absolutely MUST eat while we are there. My 17 year old son wants to try "real" Irish Pub food (we don't drink), and we all want serious Italian. Reading all the posts about the good restaurants are great, but overwhelming! Which restaurant has the "garbage plate"? Best hot dogs? Best Fish Fry? Breakfast? Deli? This is so exciting! Is the Erie fair fun too? Good food there to try? We will be leaving TX 8/3 or 8/4 to be there 8/5 or 8/6.

Look forward to hearing from y'all, oh and is Inter Park St. in a safe area? (Cheap, cute house for sale there.) Matter of fact, which is the cheapest, safest neighborhood in Buffalo? Realtors won't really tell you!

Thank you in advance! This forum is so incredibly helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
You have to go to Anchor Bar, the birthplace of chicken wings. Its on main street downtown I believe.
For Italian there are a few Places around Hertel ave that are decent, cant name any specific since I'm not from Buffalo.
If you want cheap burger type food, try jims steakout. There are a few locations around the city.
The garbage plate is a Rochester thing, I can't think of any place in Buffalo that has them.
Can't think of pub food, but there are other people that post here that might have a better idea.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 AM

40 posts, read 57,778 times
Irish Pub Food: Gallagher's on Allen Street; Blackthorn's in Lewiston (closer to Niagara Falls than Buffalo)

Italian: Chef's on Seneca Street, Italian Village Restaurant on Grant and in Amherst (suburb); Marco's on Niagara Street, Faso's on Niagara Street, also a must is Romeo n' Juliet's on Hertel, Frank's Sunny Italy on Delaware....there are many.

Pizza: Just Pizza on Elmwood (endless variety), Casa di Pizza on Elmwood (good place to take the family), Romeo n' Juliet's on Hertel and La Nova on Grant Street.

Hot Dog's: Ted's on Sheridan Drive or any hot dog stand selling Sahlen's hot dogs such as Anderson's Roast Beef stands

Roast Beef on Weck: Papa Jake's on Elmwood Ave near Amherst Street; Charlie the Butcher (various locations); Anderson's Roast Beef stands on Sheridan and Delaware Ave and Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street.

Fish Fry: Papa Jake's on Elmwood near Amherst St.; Malone's on Delaware Ave in Kenmore; any pub/bar on a Friday has a decent fish fry.

Breakfast: Ambrosia on Elmwood; Mythos on Elmwood; Panos on Elmwood and Kosta's on Hertel. Special mention to Betty's in Allentown (but can get crowded) and Solid Grounds on Elmwood near Bryant.

Deli: Chris' Sandwich Shop on Delaware; Chocolate Bar on Delaware near Chippewa for paninis and great deserts (also Romeo n' Juliet's for that); Joe's Deli on Hertel; Marco's Deli on Hertel and Madame Mocha's (Lovejoy area).

Greek/Mediterranean Food: Special Mention to Astoria on Elmwood and Sahara Grill on Elmwood.

ALSO, here is a local restaurant guide that is very helpful: Bill Rapaport's Buffalo Restaurant Guide

ALSO, see buffalorising.com and artvoice.com for events and food sections.

there are plenty of places to choose from...ENJOY your visit!!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 AM

How wonderful! Thanks so much for taking the time to list all these great places!! We are coming from McDonalds and Burger King land so this is going to be such a treat. Buffalo has so much to be proud of and we are so looking forward to all you have to offer.

Any info on Inter Park?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXChristian View Post
Any info on Inter Park?
Uhm, most likely you are definately not going to want to live there.
The east side has a general reputation as being unsafe, parts of it are unsafe. I dont know how unsafe that street, but its defiantely poor.

inter park dr buffalo, ny - Google Maps

Anywhere in Buffalo you see these gaps and "holes" between the houses, thats where something has burned down and was never replaced. Its urban decay.

Don't get me wrong we need people to buy these houses, repair them and live in them to fix our neighborhoods. But this is more urban activist territory.. and judging by that you are looking for a 'cheap cute house', its not what you are looking for. You probably won't even enjoy the drive to get over to that street.

There are deals in the Buffalo area on housing, but you have to search deeper and find the right neighborhoods.

Last edited by aka_mouse; 08-02-2007 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 AM

Thank you so much for the info on Inter Park. It is so amazing how much character and charm the houses in Buffalo have. And when you look at them online they are clean inside and out and people are living in them and taking care of them and you can't imagine they are in a bad neighborhood. Our family has no problem living among the economically challenged as long as it among people who want to work hard, live quietly and be a decent neighbor. We have also seen several homes on Sumner Place, any ideas about that area?

Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 AM

639 posts, read 1,071,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXChristian View Post
Thank you so much for the info on Inter Park. It is so amazing how much character and charm the houses in Buffalo have. And when you look at them online they are clean inside and out and people are living in them and taking care of them and you can't imagine they are in a bad neighborhood. Our family has no problem living among the economically challenged as long as it among people who want to work hard, live quietly and be a decent neighbor. We have also seen several homes on Sumner Place, any ideas about that area?
These are some of the worst neighborhoods in Buffalo. They aren't just economically challenged, they have the highest drug/crime rates you'll find anywhere around. The houses are so cheap for a reason in those areas. Surely you can find a better place to put your family than this.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,352 times
Speaking of fish fries, back in college they had the absolute best fish fries at the Wellington Pub on Hertel (talking 10 years ago)...is it still there and are they still as good? I might have to take a trip out on a Friday just to have one again. I love the scones and various breads they [used to] give you as well.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
I'm not from Buffalo, but have been there many times and had an aunt that lived there for a period of time..in South Buffalo. South Buffalo is a neighborhood I think would suit you better. It still has those charming, affordable houses, with a very tight neighborhood feel. The only thing I would be concerned about is that the nieghborhood is VERY Irish...my aunt is Italian so she felt somewhat out of place...granted this was also a few decades go so it could be different now...i know it is still a very irish neighborhood, but it may not be as unwelcoming to a newcomer now. This neighborhood is MUCH safer than the east side, also much much less "abandoned"

Old 08-04-2007, 11:11 AM

61 posts, read 271,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'm not from Buffalo, but have been there many times and had an aunt that lived there for a period of time..in South Buffalo. South Buffalo is a neighborhood I think would suit you better. It still has those charming, affordable houses, with a very tight neighborhood feel. The only thing I would be concerned about is that the nieghborhood is VERY Irish...my aunt is Italian so she felt somewhat out of place...granted this was also a few decades go so it could be different now...i know it is still a very irish neighborhood, but it may not be as unwelcoming to a newcomer now. This neighborhood is MUCH safer than the east side, also much much less "abandoned"

It is different now, reflecting the crumbling economy. South Buffalo isn't much better in terms of crime, arson, etc.. Oh yeah, toxic waste too, don't forget that. We are reknown for the premiere cancer center in the country, and with good reason. They will always have a thriving business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area