Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,463 times

Advertisements

Morbid thought, and I've been away for awhile... my thought is that the life would be sucked out of the city. I have the Sunday Ticket, etc... our team is a huge part of what keeps us going. Your Thoughts?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,443 times
If a city revolves around a sports team, there is a HUGE problem, bigger than can solved through policy. No, I think Buffalo wouldn't be significantly affected with out the Bills. It would be symbolic of Buffalo's fall from any role of national prominence; more a discouragement to those who still believe that Buffalo is a "world class city."

The truth is the Bills are beyond what Buffalo can support. They will be gone 10 years... it won't mean anything past the obvious (that Buffalo has lost a massive amount of population since the 70s).

Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
If a city revolves around a sports team, there is a HUGE problem, bigger than can solved through policy. No, I think Buffalo wouldn't be significantly affected with out the Bills. It would be symbolic of Buffalo's fall from any role of national prominence; more a discouragement to those who still believe that Buffalo is a "world class city."

The truth is the Bills are beyond what Buffalo can support. They will be gone 10 years... it won't mean anything past the obvious (that Buffalo has lost a massive amount of population since the 70s).
The Bills are a huge part of the culture and lore of the City of Buffalo. The Ralph continually sells out, year after year... this year is no exception. There are not many tickets left unless you want to buy seasons or hit stubhub or the like for inflated prices. If they ever left it would be like a punctured lung... the air going out, and then silence.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,313 times
If the Bills leave, so does half the population remaining. The Bills are Buffalo. They go, so does the city.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 AM

205 posts, read 479,240 times
I hate football and hate even more that any city would subsidize a sports franchise in any way. I think it would be a bigger blow to people whom have already moved away and find comfort in watching the Bills with other ex Buffalonians than Buffalonians themselves.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloLight View Post
I hate football and hate even more that any city would subsidize a sports franchise in any way. I think it would be a bigger blow to people whom have already moved away and find comfort in watching the Bills with other ex Buffalonians than Buffalonians themselves.

Very true!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:05 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
The Bills are a huge part of the culture and lore of the City of Buffalo. The Ralph continually sells out, year after year... this year is no exception. There are not many tickets left unless you want to buy seasons or hit stubhub or the like for inflated prices. If they ever left it would be like a punctured lung... the air going out, and then silence.
It goes beyond just Buffalo, the Bills are a huge part of western NY, I know season ticket holders in Rochester. Its a haul to goto Orchard Park from Rochester every week.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
It goes beyond just Buffalo, the Bills are a huge part of western NY, I know season ticket holders in Rochester. Its a haul to goto Orchard Park from Rochester every week.
Toronto's not that much further.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:09 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,088 times
Quote:
Morbid thought, and I've been away for awhile... my thought is that the life would be sucked out of the city. I have the Sunday Ticket, etc... our team is a huge part of what keeps us going. Your Thoughts?
The taxpayers of Erie County would save money if the Buffalo Bills are gone. We pay for everything of the stadium and it's been sucking the life out of us for more than 20 years. Life will still go on without the Buffalo Bills, and it would probably be better.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,088 times
Quote:
The Bills are a huge part of the culture and lore of the City of Buffalo.
Yet the staduim for the team was built out in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area