Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I do think Buffalo has started to improve in the last ten years. For a city of it's size and with it's rather lack of wealth (compared to other cities), Buffalo holds its own.

The top, no-budget spots would include places like Hutch's, Tempo, Olivers, Chophouse, E.B. Green's, Daniel's (Hamburg), Seabar, Left Bank, Torches (Kenmore) and so on.
Agreed. All great high-end restaurants. What's lacking are interesting and diverse choices on the more casual, less expensive side. You're basically stuck with chain restaurants and taverns. The exception would be Italian. Lots of good cheap, family-owned Italian places in WNY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM

879 posts, read 1,630,631 times
Depends on what you are looking for.

1) If you want really good mexican food, wait until you visit texas again.

2) There's always Toronto about 1.5 hours away...

3) If you like diners there are plenty to choose from. Be adventurous.

4) Williamsville is probably not the place to find good dining. Lots of family types who don't dine out with much frequency (the house poor crowd).

5) Individual tastes are very different. If I were to think of a place right this second to take my kids, they dig Vietnamese food and Pho '99 is good and reasonably priced.

6) If it were me and my wife alone on a date (hmmm....when was the last one 5 years ago?) I would go to Shango.

Well those are my six cents...

Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstaterInBklyn View Post
Agreed. All great high-end restaurants. What's lacking are interesting and diverse choices on the more casual, less expensive side. You're basically stuck with chain restaurants and taverns. The exception would be Italian. Lots of good cheap, family-owned Italian places in WNY.
What do you think are the best Italian (both high-end and those in the cheap range) restaurants in WNY? Do you think Chef's is worth it's praise? I've only managed to eat their once in my life, and it's been an awful long time.

A good source for reviews/ideas would be a site like Buffalo Rising as well. They only focus on establishments that are actually in the city itself, but it's a good tool.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times
Quote:
What do you think are the best Italian (both high-end and those in the cheap range) restaurants in WNY? Do you think Chef's is worth it's praise? I've only managed to eat their once in my life, and it's been an awful long time.

A good source for reviews/ideas would be a site like Buffalo Rising as well. They only focus on establishments that are actually in the city itself, but it's a good tool.
Iilio Di Paolo's in Blasdell has good Italian food. I would chracterize it as mid-priced.

Ilio DiPaolos Restaurant Ringside Lounge, Hamburg New York, Buffalo New York Italian restaurant, banquet facility, catering, wedding receptions, Blasdell New York

Old 10-13-2011, 09:18 AM

252 posts, read 649,919 times
Quote:
High-end: Ristorante Lombardo
Mid-range: Romeo & Juliet's (especially for gourmet pizzas)
Casual: Santasiero's, Frank's Sunny Italy

Chef's is a pretty basic spaghetti and red sauce kind of place. I think is OK, but I like Santasiero's better for that kind of thing. Chef's is very popular, though, and is kind of famous for being a favorite of many politicians and other local "power brokers". I think it is over-rated, though I wouldn't say it's at all bad.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:47 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
High-end: Ristorante Lombardo
Mid-range: Romeo & Juliet's (especially for gourmet pizzas)
Casual: Santasiero's, Frank's Sunny Italy

Chef's is a pretty basic spaghetti and red sauce kind of place. I think is OK, but I like Santasiero's better for that kind of thing. Chef's is very popular, though, and is kind of famous for being a favorite of many politicians and other local "power brokers". I think it is over-rated, though I wouldn't say it's at all bad.
Thanks. I thought the same about Chef's. I know it's a popular place for the big wigs and even the Sabre players, but it seems very basic in terms of the menu.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM

55 posts, read 157,561 times
Seriously? If I want good Mexican food, I have to get it in Texas? Surely, there has to be a good Mexican restaurant somewhere around.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 AM

252 posts, read 649,919 times
Southern_Yankee: I like 5 de Mayo on Union Road in Cheektowaga and Coyote Cafe in Hamburg. But my favorite Mexican "restaurant" is Lloyd, the taco truck. I have no idea how "authentic" any of these places really are, having never lived in Mexico or the southwest US, but the food is delicious (especially Lloyd!).

Old 10-13-2011, 12:50 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
OP, this was mentioned before, but Bill Rappaport's website truly is the restaurant bible. It's basically Yelp, before yelp was relevent.

Bill Rapaport's Buffalo Restaurant Guide

Please give it a try, it's a huge help, and don't forget to contribute!!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Yankee View Post
Seriously? If I want good Mexican food, I have to get it in Texas? Surely, there has to be a good Mexican restaurant somewhere around.
No, there are a few good places around. 5 De Mayo is decent (Orchard Park & Cheektowaga). Coyote Cafe here in Hamburg isn't bad either but it tends to turn into a hipster bar the closer it gets to the weekend. The most authentic place Ive found is El Canelo near the McKinley Mall. Its owned & operated by a Mexican-American family from New Mexico (which is rare in this area as most Mexican restaurants aren't owned by Mexicans). It sits in a strip mall but once you walk in the door it could just as easily be on the side of Hwy 290 in Elgin,Texas. Great prices too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area