Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM

62 posts, read 127,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
Kentucky Gregs??

Any good?
Yup, I highly recommend Kentucky Gregs, BW's, Suzie Q's, Deperados and One Eyed Jacks. They all do it right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 AM

55 posts, read 157,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
Yup, I highly recommend Kentucky Gregs, BW's, Suzie Q's, Deperados and One Eyed Jacks. They all do it right
I haven't tried BBQ up here yet but it's good to know there is BBQ up North. I wouldn't suppose they're serving it up with a side of collard greens, succotash, and fried okra?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM

62 posts, read 127,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Yankee View Post
I haven't tried BBQ up here yet but it's good to know there is BBQ up North. I wouldn't suppose they're serving it up with a side of collard greens, succotash, and fried okra?
Some of them do.

Suzy Q's has greens - Good
Kentucky Greg has greens and fried okra - Greens ok, Okra Good
I went to One Eyed Jacks and one of their veggies of the day was greens...but that isn't a regular menu item.

I haven't seen succotash served up this way in BBQ joints...don't think too many northerners dig it.

Desperados serves a corn pudding that is out of this world...try it if you are ever down Angola way.

If you get a little frisky and want good greens, head over to Rochester and go to Dinosaur, they have some great greens. (as well as pretty good bbq) Just like my Granny made with lard and I believe there is pork collar in there.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:19 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
For the barbeque seekers: There's a place on Main in Clarence Center called Valley Inn. They used to have barbeque -- pulled pork was their best item. Don't know if they do. The guy did it reasonably well; had the smoker right outside. haven't been there in 7-8 years. You'd have to look them up.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
For the barbeque seekers: There's a place on Main in Clarence Center called Valley Inn. They used to have barbeque -- pulled pork was their best item. Don't know if they do. The guy did it reasonably well; had the smoker right outside. haven't been there in 7-8 years. You'd have to look them up.
We went there about a year ago they were awful, the place reeked of mildew inside the dining area. They went out of business over the Summer. They reopened, I assume under new ownership a couple of months ago. Haven't been back, hopefully they cleaned the place up a bit as it was a really really miserable dining experience. We were almost afraid to eat the food

Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 AM

13 posts, read 42,909 times
Try any and all restaraunts in East Aurora on Main. Very good!!! Quiant country atmosphere, nice drive from anywhere. Also, The Old Orchard Inn has an ecclectic feel and I hear the food is good...haven't been there yet

Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
Southern_Yankee: I like 5 de Mayo on Union Road in Cheektowaga and Coyote Cafe in Hamburg. But my favorite Mexican "restaurant" is Lloyd, the taco truck. I have no idea how "authentic" any of these places really are, having never lived in Mexico or the southwest US, but the food is delicious (especially Lloyd!).
Isn't 5 de Mayo under a new name now? I think the chef of the Sea Bar also opened a causal Tex-Mex restaurant in downtown Buffalo as well.

Do you find WNYers to be conservative in their palates? Also, is it just me, or do too many restaurants seem to have an outdated decor?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM

252 posts, read 649,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Isn't 5 de Mayo under a new name now?
The name is different, but the menu (though reformatted) is exactly the same! My completely uninformed guess is that the restaurant was sold as a turnkey operation to a new owner.

Unfortunately, when we went (a couple of months ago I think) the food was not nearly up to its earlier standards. Perhaps that was just the "teething pains" of a new business getting settled in; it might be better now.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith11 View Post
The name is different, but the menu (though reformatted) is exactly the same! My completely uninformed guess is that the restaurant was sold as a turnkey operation to a new owner.

Unfortunately, when we went (a couple of months ago I think) the food was not nearly up to its earlier standards. Perhaps that was just the "teething pains" of a new business getting settled in; it might be better now.
Thanks. I love good Mexican/Tex-Mex/Cal-Mex food, so any good suggestions are always welcomed.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM

196 posts, read 443,040 times
Western NY is the land of bland. I am convinced. That and a relatively small Mexican population, offers few quality options. Now I gotta temper that by saying, I have the same issue in Wisconsin. Plus, I have that spicey palette from Chicago.

Cinco de mayo is gone, at least the one on Union. I seen it closed up a few weeks back.

I like one eyed jacks. Pretty tastee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area